Do you think WP8.1 is on par with IOS and ANDROID?

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I think its better than Android and iOS in terms of the OS. However users from both the platforms who are rigid minded and not open to explore new stuff will always find an excuse. If we speak regarding apps, Android and iOS still have the upper hand as several developers yet have to port their apps to WP. But with the release of WP8.1, I'm sure the WP user base will increase resulting in minimizing the app gap too.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Feature-wise it is. But Oh Lord Dave Blake forgive me for saying the most dreaded words in these nether realms of WPCentral community... "APPS!"

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
id ignore that list as some/most of the "NO" had been addressed with 8.1 and until that list is updated to reflect this then ill ignore. Also, can you expand on the "wayyyyyy" behind ios and android statement as i don't see how its that far behind.

Thanks
Okay, I accept that the comparison is with WP8 & is not purely valid.But Android is way ahead of WP when it comes to little things throughout the OS.Just a few days back I used an Android 2.3 based phone and it seemed way more developed to me than WP. I don't know how you feel about Android, but what I felt throughout my usage was that this thing is way ahead of WP. Of course, the first feature which comes to my mind is that it supports file managers, but there are many other things about Android which make me feel that it is much more developed than WP.

For example, in WP, if I have to share a file via Bluetooth, I'll have to first go to settings, turn on Bluetooth,go back to the file I want to share & select Bluetooth from the share menu. Whereas, in Android(& even in feature phones),I'll select the file, choose the share option,select Bluetooth & I'm good to go. This reduces the no. of steps required & unnecessary wastage of time. Besides, it is much more convenient.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Nd other thing is that u can root your android nd take backup of all your apps in sd card instead of the pains of reinstalling again with the help of WiFi.nd android does not have the problem of clearing temporary files or other storage which Is a thorn in wp8 leg.but it suffers in fluidity in low nd mid end range unlike wp.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Nd other thing is that u can root your android nd take backup of all your apps in sd card instead of the pains of reinstalling again with the help of WiFi.nd android does not have the problem of clearing temporary files or other storage which Is a thorn in wp8 leg.but it suffers in fluidity in low nd mid end range unlike wp.

Almost all current instances of other storage being large is due to content inside apps. Things like podcasts, audio books, eBooks, UC Browser downloads, etc.

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
The OS itself is getting there, but they need to turn their attention to the bundled apps. They are generally bare bones and featureless. Not what you expect from Microsoft.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The OS itself is getting there, but they need to turn their attention to the bundled apps. They are generally bare bones and featureless. Some of them barely work at all.

A lot of that was due to the locked down nature of the OS. It would appear WP8.1 is going to rectify this by opening the APIs up a bit.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Other storage needs a proper fix. Instead of putting all app data into one large category allow users to delete any data that might be too large.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Almost all current instances of other storage being large is due to content inside apps. Things like podcasts, audio books, eBooks, UC Browser downloads, etc.

Ya but this other storage is taking a toll on the limited storage in wp8 devices.only solution is hard reset.I mean temporary files for example if u install games nd then delete the game even if u delete the game temporary files are not deleted.this does not happen in android.your solution is hard reset which will endure you the pain of again reinstalling all apps again unlike android where u van already take a backup of all your apps in Dr card nd later install them if u want.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Other storage needs a proper fix. Instead of putting all app data into one large category allow users to delete any data that might be too large.

It makes more sense to me to track those things in their own individual apps. Why should I delete audiobooks from the storage hub instead of from the Audible app?
In my opinion the best fix would be to just make other more accurately report things and open the api up a bit more so apps can report their isolated storages a little easier.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

Second this other storage is eating already limited storage of wp8 low or mid end devices. Nd also every app file is huge when we install it occupies more spaces especially games.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Ya but this other storage is taking a toll on the limited storage in wp8 devices.only solution is hard reset.I mean temporary files for example if u install games nd then delete the game even if u delete the game temporary files are not deleted.this does not happen in android.your solution is hard reset which will endure you the pain of again reinstalling all apps again unlike android where u van already take a backup of all your apps in Dr card nd later install them if u want.

That's not the case in GDR3 and beyond.

Also there is nothing that prevents you from deleting content in apps that are in their isolated storage unless the developer does a terrible job of creating their app. I can delete audio books from Audible and eBooks from Kindle easily and watch the reported storage used increase and decrease.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
It makes more sense to me to track those things in their own individual apps. Why should I delete audiobooks from the storage hub instead of from the Audible app?
In my opinion the best fix would be to just make other more accurately report things and open the api up a bit more so apps can report their isolated storages a little easier.

Or have a file manager. You can then just go to the app directory and delete any data, without altering anything substantial. I have done this on my Moto X before. I save a lot of articles in Pocket, so if it gets too large. I just go into the file manager and delete downloaded articles, that saves at least 200MB of storage. By doing it this way, I'm not signed out if the app and I can just read the article again by just downloading it individually on WiFi.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Or have a file manager. You can then just go to the app directory and delete any data, without altering anything substantial. I have done this on my Moto X before. I save a lot of articles in Pocket, so if it gets too large. I just go into the file manager and delete downloaded articles, that saves at least 200MB of storage. By doing it this way, I'm not signed out if the app and I can just read the article again by just downloading it individually on WiFi.

That defeats some of the security model they use in the OS and the point of isolated storage.

Sure you can do that on Android, and direct read/write access of that type is part of the reason Android has so many vulnerabilities that take advantage of it.

I think that for some reason you might not know a lot about security models. Would my assumption be correct?

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
That's not the case in GDR3 and beyond.

Also there is nothing that prevents you from deleting content in apps that are in their isolated storage unless the developer does a terrible job of creating their app. I can delete audio books from Audible and eBooks from Kindle easily and watch the reported storage used increase and decrease.

I suppose u Do not suffer this problem that's why you are generalizing it.my temporary files have galloped to 828 MB nd other storage has 600MB. Nothing is deleting the temporary files in Nokia storage app nd my last option is hard reset nd install each nd every app via WIFI.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
That defeats some of the security model they use in the OS and the point of isolated storage.

Sure you can do that on Android, and direct read/write access of that type is part of the reason Android has so many vulnerabilities that take advantage of it.

I think that for some reason you might not know a lot about security models. Would my assumption be correct?

Nope. Isolated storage is killer on devices with smaller storage. Could be why they bumped up the minimum specs requirement. I remember reading the Lumia 810 forums and their horror stories of how "other storage" would take the majority of their storage. Android vulnerabilities is such an old non story, that always comes up when it does not matter.

Blakey.

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Hard for me to say without using it. I use an iPhone as my daily driver, but I've got a Lumia 920/1020 and a Galaxy S3 sitting around. I really want to like and use Windows Phones, but I'm just not sure yet. I also wish there was a smaller high end phone. I like smaller phones, but anything with a 4 inch screen is low or mid end.

iOS has the functionality and apps I need, but I do wish there were a couple tweaks for it such as a modifiable keyboard. Siri is also pretty useless IMO. I like that Cortana can be used with typing input as opposed to only voice. I also need to know if WP 8.1 supports .gif in text messages and allows me to hide the actual message a notification gives. I send and receive a ton of .gifs and I don't like that if someone texts me, it displays the message for everyone to see without even opening it. I've heard IE11 brings some much needed improvement as well. If my minor annoyances have been fixed, I could see myself moving to it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo