Do you think WP8.1 is on par with IOS and ANDROID?

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Alright I'm exiting the discussion of else are going to just start dealing with fiction.

I own multiple devices with Android myself and know the truth of the situation. I can infect the device even with software on the Play store.

I can't even find a working proof of concept exploit for Windows Phone, and believe me I've tried.

The truth of the situation is you are more likely to win money in scratch offs than get a virus or malware on your android device. I have downloaded apps from the web and been an android user for almost 3 years. Never ran into a vulnerability issue. The same can be said for a lot of android users. Its people on the web who like to blow it out of proportion.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
The truth of the situation is you are more likely to win money in scratch offs than get a virus or malware on your android device. I have downloaded apps from the web and been an android user for almost 3 years. Never ran into a vulnerability issue. The same can be said for a lot of android users. Its people on the web who like to blow it out of proportion.

Whatever you say. My customers that use Android must be billionaires by now according to your logic...

Wait I just realized you said scratch-offs. I almost missed that. You were clever since that statement is true since many of those have multiple prize levels...with varying levels of odds some of them even as low as 1:30 chances of winning.

So thanks for proving my point. :)

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
There are several. I will admit that Google is good about removing them once reported, but new ones take their place.

That wasn't my main point however. The point I was making was primarily about the security models on WP vs Android.

Part of what makes WP so secure is the lack of direct read/write access to the main file system. That's just a fact.

Its also lead to some complaints regarding internal storage. WP as a whole has a problem managing storage.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Its also lead to some complaints regarding internal storage. WP as a whole has a problem managing storage.

I must have a magic phone then, and so must my fiancee as we don't experience these issues. Magic is awesome. I am a mighty warlock with customers who win the lotto according to you. :D

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Whatever you say. My customers that use Android must be billionaires by now according to your logic...

Wait I just realized you said scratch-offs. I almost missed that. You were clever since that statement is true since many of those have multiple prize levels...with varying levels of odds some of them even as low as 1:30 chances of winning.

So thanks for proving my point. :)

Your customers on Android? They had their phone obliterated by a virus?

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Your customers on Android? They had their phone obliterated by a virus?

I have had multiple clients with Android devices show up with various types of malware on them. I can think of 3 such cases in the last 2 months.

In one case I needed to back up some specific client files they had and wipe the device. On the other 2 I was able to clean it up without a wipe needed.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I have had multiple clients with Android devices show up with various types of malware on them. I can think of 3 such cases in the last 2 months.

In one case I needed to back up some specific client files they had and wipe the device. On the other 2 I was able to clean it up without a wipe needed.

It all spends how it got there. Because malware occurrences are very rare. There is the threat of it, but to have an actual malware problem is very low.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
It all spends how it got there. Because malware occurrences are very rare. There is the threat of it, but to have an actual malware problem is very low.

My experience as an IT professional directly contradicts that. Reality supersedes supposition and conjecture.

Dozens of cases within a small group of regular clients within a single year is not how any reasonable person would define rare. The term for that is common.

I suppose your next argument will be that they do it on purpose just so they can pay me.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I will testify and say that I downloaded a game on app store this is way before it was called play store and it was some sort of scam virus thingy not sure what the correct nomenclature is but what it did was charge me money every month because I had this game. It was an airplane game I remember it had some Asian looking letters not sure if Chinese or what but basically in this game you are at the bottom and you shoot stuff that is incoming on the screen from the top side, Galaga style.

At first the extra charges were subtle only a few bucks (did not noticed until later) and then it started getting higher to about 100 bucks before I decided to call in to my carrier and ask wtf? At which point I had to review my past bills.

Anyhow, maybe it wasn't a virus maybe it said in small fine print that it was going to charge me every month and get higher and I totally missed it, if this is the case then I understand totally my fault but the fact remains that people are intentionally putting stuff on the play store to "get you"

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
My experience as an IT professional directly contradicts that. Reality supersedes supposition and conjecture.

Dozens of cases within a small group of regular clients within a single year is not how any reasonable person would define rare. The term for that is common.

I suppose your next argument will be that they do it on purpose just so they can pay me.

Dozens within a small group sounds beyond rare. How did they get it? What were they doing? What devices do they have?

LillWicke

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Why are you Droids discussing WP8 things in a WP8.1 thread? It's not the same thing you know.
Or have you been so affected by viruses that you are not able to see things clear?

:smile:

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Why are you Droids discussing WP8 things in a WP8.1 thread? It's not the same thing you know.
Or have you been so affected by viruses that you are not able to see things clear?

Phone viruses affect sight now?

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Dozens within a small group sounds beyond rare. How did they get it? What were they doing? What devices do they have?

Mostly a combination of various Samsung and LG phones with a couple tablets in the mix.

They picked them up from games and apps they downloaded from the Play Store.

One of the infections (using the recent 3 examples) was logging keystrokes. I had to change all of their passwords. They discovered the issue when they couldn't access an e-mail account. We luckily spotted it before it got too far. Their bank account was similarly compromised, but luckily we got it all sorted before any transactions occurred.

The other 2 were scareware that hijacked the browsers.

I couldn't get the keylogger to completely go away so I backed up their data, wiped the device, scanned the backed up files, and then set everything back up.

It is a very rare occurrence when I can't fix something without a complete wipe needed on any OS. It actually bothers me since I count it as a personal failure.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

This is a thread about WP vs iOS and Android. Discussions of positives and negatives if all 3 including security by definition are on-topic. :p

BTW I'm primarily a WP and Windows RT guy even though I do own some Android and Linux powered equipment. ;)

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Well, we have a bunch of new features and resources now and I think is on par with IOS and Android in this perspective.

But we don't know if the developers will have the same API/features that are available Android or IOS. That's very important too. Because despite we have a very well made/designed apps, like 6tag, 4th & Mayor, 6sec, Nokia apps, Bing apps and much more, we have a lot of apps with a huge lack of functionality.

Microsoft needs to improve APIs in quantity and "quality", I think.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99