Do you think WP8.1 is on par with IOS and ANDROID?

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully it will be on par. I use my Note 3 for work (teaching) because apps are so more developed on Android. I can't scan an image using cam scanner and then post it to Dropbox to share on my wordpress class site. On my Note it is super simple. Files are saved locally and they are integrated with one another. The Wordpress app is terrible on WP and I have to email the PDF from cam scanner then open on my iPad to share to wordpress. That's just not acceptable. Apps on WP need more integration with social media and cloud storage. The Facebook app from Microsoft is poor compared to Android. Instagram posts don't appear for a day on the news feed but appear instantly on the iOS and android version. They need to have the same features as their iOS and Android counterparts to keep and attract new users.

In addition, the small market share of WP makes it hard to keep and/or attract developers. That hurts the user because they get limited app development and that in turn affects user growth. Education is moving to using school apps instead of paper calendars and agendas. Guess what. They don't support wp8 and probably never will. Neither does my bank. That's a shame but that's the nature of the industry.

Until then it's my Note and iPad for work and my 1020 for everything else :)

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
As an android user, I can't tell you how many times, I look at an average android users notification shade and it is full of notifications. I only have one notification and that's for my battery percentage.

Is that a lot of times, or not many? Maybe I'm not very popular, but I don't seem to get a build up of notifications. But even on the rare occasions that I do, the large number if icons is useful to know that I should look at my phone. Swiping down the notification screen clears the icons, so it's very easy to manage.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Do you think WP8.1 is on par with IOS and ANDROID?

Well passing by all the rhetoric.
WP 8.1 will only be par for those who will enjoy it, make it better, sell it to others effectively and to all who will stick with and give it a chance.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Is that a lot of times, or not many? Maybe I'm not very popular, but I don't seem to get a build up of notifications. But even on the rare occasions that I do, the large number if icons is useful to know that I should look at my phone. Swiping down the notification screen clears the icons, so it's very easy to manage.

A lot of times. My mom is guilty of this too with her RAZR M.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Andreas Jackson

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
My first post on this site and new to WP8 with a nokia 925. I have been a iPhone user since the original models and have made the move due the outright cost of purchasing iPhones directly and not on plans.

My comments are not meant to be biased and come from 4 years on iPhones and several months on WP8.

The basic operating system on each seems to contain similar functionality, but there are some significant omissions with windows software that need to be rectified to be on par with IOS:

WP 8.0 comparison

1. The limitation of only 2 phone numbers per contact is restrictive and should be rectified. For a user that travels regularly and maintains multiple numbers for a single contact, this is not good enough.
2. The windows calendar app is below par when compared with IOS. I use Chronos and this is still not up to the IOS calendar.
3. Limitations on sms characters? That was an issue many years ago before smart phones. To have this limitation in 2014 is restrictive.
4. Battery life is well below iPhones. The 925 will only permit 2.5 hours of screen use before the battery is low. iOS is triple this duration.
5. The people hub is terrible and well below the favourites list in IOS. Individual numbers cannot be saved in the people hub as in the favourites list in IOS.
6. Selecting a number to ring and then being asked whether you want to ring it, is one action too many.
7. WP 8.0 connectivity to data is far superior to IOS.
8. Screen brightness needs to be high in daylight to have any chance of seing the screen. This is probably due to the screening the 925 and not specific to WP in general.

WP 8.1

It appears that some of these issues will be rectified in 8.1. I hope all are. I truly like the WP experience and the fluid operation of the OS, however, these issues all need to be rectified. They are basic functions of any smart phone. Let's hope that 8.1 is well received and attracts new users like myself. If it does not, it may not be good news for the windows smart phone market.

The third tile column looks fantastic and will be a great addition, as will the transparent tiles with photo background. There are huge possibilities for the WP's, but they need to keep innovating. IOS has suffered this fate with IOS 7. There is simply not much more apple can add to the phone firmware that is needed by the majority of users. Windows phones are not there yet and therefore much can be added to improve the user experience.

mattmclovinlane

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I have a windows phone and an iphone&ipad. For me I still use my iphone as a main phone for the reason that the apps are just not available yet, I know everyone is saying that the apps have caught up well they just have not. (I don't play games so apps are not really that important too me hence why I bought a windows phone as a replacement for my iphone. all I use my phone for other than phone functionality is watching tv, watching movies, listening to music, browsing the web.

On my iphone/ipad I regularly use Chess.com app (yes there are alternative chess apps but chess.com is the biggest online chess site and all my social friends are on it so I m not going to switch. (also available on android). possibly coming soon to windows phone
moviebox yes it may not be legit but is also available on android as showbox I use this regularly.
BetFair, Betred, William Hill, bet365, Skybet etc.... (mainly use Betfair). but gambling apps are virtually non existent or are not made by the actual website.
Streaming live tv from Satellite receiver to my phone, IOS has loads of apps in particular blackbox pro, multibox pro, istreamgate, enigma2 stream, dreamote with goodplayer etc.. With blackbox I can watch one channel on my phone whilst out and about whilst someone at home is watching another channel. I can also download tv recordings straight to my phone for offline use. windows phone has 1 app for streaming which is dreamwebtv but the streaming function stopped working on it (when it did work you could not direct stream you could only use vlc as a streaming server to transcode) and advanced functions are not available, Android currently has loads but have not tested any of them.
XBMC not likely to be available for windows phone. (is also available on android). (I use this occasionally to watch live premiership football that I cant pick up from my sat dish).

Things that annoy me with windows phone.
In the browser when I want to click a link it highlights the text to copy a word.
Cannot manually set dns addresses on wifi.
no VPN support
when I go into settings nothing is in alphabetical order.
The font of the menus is too big in some areas and should have the option to reduce.
The inbuilt music player is utter garbage and so too is the calendar.
apps that are available just don't have the same features such as bbc iplayer no offline download, spotify (only a trail need a premium account). cannot go on the national lottery, citrix Reciever does not work for me, plex is very limited.

My windows phone has is a better camera, a better screen (can see the screen in sunlight) and a bigger screen. All these things are Nokias work, if the iphone 6 has an improved camera and bigger screen I will be getting that, However if Windows phones improve streaming capabilities and the above apps started to appear on windows phone then I will be getting a windows phone.

Hey I might even have a look at android, (I'm no iphone ****** I want to go to windows phone, just cannot yet its a shame cause the iphone is way overpriced). Hey might even give android a go as I have never owned an android, the experia z2 looks ok.

mattmclovinlane

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
All the apps are in the main text did you not understand
App list not available
Chess.com
Blackbox pro
Multibox pro
Xbmc
Betfair
Sky bet
William hill
National lottery
Moviebox (ios) showbox (android).
I can name more
Sickopedia
Scrabble.
Super6. The list goes on

antsin3d

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Let's see...good voice to text, makes calls, takes and shares pics, web browser works well. Yep, all three platforms can do what I need them to. Oh yeah, and I can find crosswords and sudoku on each. Excellent. I have an Xbox and a laptop and a tablet and a workstation for other stuff.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
You mean to tell me WP can do as much as android?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

What can Android do that Windows Phone 8.1 can't do

And don't say apps because apps are coming with Microsoft opening up more of the API for developers to mess with.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Go home bro...you know nothing about android

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

all the things android can do and wp8.1 cant, they're useless things for fanboys who have nothing to do apart from installing a new launcher every few days. I know a lot about android, so I'm doing informed talk only.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
What can Android do that Windows Phone 8.1 can't do

And don't say apps because apps are coming with Microsoft opening up more of the API for developers to mess with.

Defaults and Intents

Allow third party apps to replace stock apps (launchers, keyboards, SMS apps, dialers, mostly everything can be replaced)

Deep app to app integration

Sharing between apps (data and everything else)

File Managers (Third party or first party depending on smartphone manufacturer)

Actionable notifications

Googles Services

Open source so manufacturers can add touches that allow even more functionality

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
all the things android can do and wp8.1 cant, they're useless things for fanboys who have nothing to do apart from installing a new launcher every few days. I know a lot about android, so I'm doing informed talk only.

Just stop. None of what you said is true.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Just stop. None of what you said is true.

its okay, its all a matter of preferences. You can love android and still be on wpc, no problem ! :)
I for one love WP, and I'm not switching to android, but that doesn't mean I'm forcing you, you can love android as much as you want ! ;)
Have a nice day ! :)

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Defaults and Intents

Allow third party apps to replace stock apps (launchers, keyboards, SMS apps, dialers, mostly everything can be replaced)

Deep app to app integration

Sharing between apps (data and everything else)

File Managers (Third party or first party depending on smartphone manufacturer)

Actionable notifications

Googles Services

Open source so manufacturers can add touches that allow even more functionality

everything you said compromises HEAVILY on security, HEAVILY !!!
I agree actionable notifications would've been nice, and i think you haven't tried out pocket file manager, it is probably more powerful than many android file managers, and it can do anything you want from a file manager, including full sd card support.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720