Do you think WP8.1 is on par with IOS and ANDROID?

Skinshifter

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm concern about 2 things. In the attempt to par iOS and Android in software customization and all these new features (which is good and adds more value), but, would the software performance, stability and efficiency be the major priority yet? Like being improved for hardware as we can see on WinPhone 8, or will requires more usage and hardware tweaks as we can see on Android everytime the companies add new features?

The second concern is about the free licence of a Windows Phone base software that Microsoft will release, so more companies can build from it the OS for their devices. Isn't it what Android do? Wouldn't Windows Phone be becoming an Android?

I'm worried because I don't want Windows Phone to lose the essence of efficiency and harmony with hardware.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm concern about 2 things. In the attempt to par iOS and Android in software customization and all these new features (which is good and adds more value), but, would the software performance, stability and efficiency be the major priority yet? Like being improved for hardware as we can see on WinPhone 8, or will requires more usage and hardware tweaks as we can see on Android everytime the companies add new features?

The second concern is about the free licence of a Windows Phone base software that Microsoft will release, so more companies can build from it the OS for their devices. Isn't it what Android do? Wouldn't Windows Phone be becoming an Android?

I'm worried because I don't want Windows Phone to lose the essence of efficiency and harmony with hardware.

The first issue is not a big thing, because it would still stay that fast and smooth ! ;)
The second issue concerns me too, but the more the OEMS, more the market share and more the apps. Be happy with that ;)

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Don't worry about the second point. Microsoft still dictates the hardware that goes into the phone.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
everything you said compromises HEAVILY on security, HEAVILY !!!
I agree actionable notifications would've been nice, and i think you haven't tried out pocket file manager, it is probably more powerful than many android file managers, and it can do anything you want from a file manager, including full sd card support.

None of that compromises security, it adds a lot of functionality that other OSs lack. Also, I highly doubt whatever is Pocket File Manger comes close to the most powerful file managers on Android. Even BB10 has a very powerful built in file manager.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
None of that compromises security, it adds a lot of functionality that other OSs lack. Also, I highly doubt whatever is Pocket File Manger comes close to the most powerful file managers on Android. Even BB10 has a very powerful built in file manager.

Oh yes ? Isn't allowing an app to take over your homescreen, read your messages, see what you type (OMG THIS IS SO INSECURE ! and the default keyboard it much better than most ! the upcoming one is better than swipe), isn't all this insecure ?
p.s. you should really try pocket file manager ! It can handle almost everything, MS allowed it access privileges. It can even edit id3 tags (there are few file managers which do that even on android), and does everything you may want it to, and is constantly updated with new features.
And you can install dialers at present too..

Kashan Osama

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
everything you said compromises HEAVILY on security, HEAVILY !!!
I agree actionable notifications would've been nice, and i think you haven't tried out pocket file manager, it is probably more powerful than many android file managers, and it can do anything you want from a file manager, including full sd card support.

The argument here was about "useful things that android can do and wp can't"...

Don't switch to that security argument now:/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lobbie1978

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Thought on this guys? I think WP8.1 is closing the gap.

I don't think it's closing the gap, I think it is better. What Microsoft really did better than Apple and Google (Samsung if you will) is that they really centered the Windows Phone OS around the user instead of around the apps. They showed innovation by making the UI something completely different than the boring Icons grids of the competition. Besides that, it gives a really personal experience and concentrating the visual content on what the user is caring the most about. The LiveTiles and the Hubs are a great example of this. I really like the fact that you can pin your favorite stuff to the Start screen including the people you care about. I have some of my closest friends and my girlfriend pinned to my Start-screen, enabling me to instantly see what is going on. I can directly see their status updates, received emails, missed calls etc. I love it and that is something that is completely lacking with Android and iOS.
Also the fact that the home-screen is very dynamic and live is something that is appealing to a lot of people I'm showing my phone to.

WP8.1 adds the features that brings it on a considerable even level with Android and iOS, but the WP OS itself is already far more ahead of the competition from a user perspective, I think. And in the end, it's all about the user, right?

Last edited:

monso0n

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it's closing the gap, I think it is better. What Microsoft really did better than Apple and Google (Samsung if you will) is that they really centered the Windows Phone OS around the user instead of around the apps.

Nice explaination for not having the apps, it cetrainly is the plan.

They showed innovation by making the UI something completely different than the boring Icons grids of the competition.

Well, the tiles also are based on a grid, rather boring.

Lobbie1978

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Defaults and Intents

Allow third party apps to replace stock apps (launchers, keyboards, SMS apps, dialers, mostly everything can be replaced)

Deep app to app integration

Sharing between apps (data and everything else)

File Managers (Third party or first party depending on smartphone manufacturer)

Actionable notifications

Googles Services

Open source so manufacturers can add touches that allow even more functionality

Those are all things we don't need (heck, don't even want) on Windows Phone.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Speak for yourself, not the whole user base, would you?

Well majority of people here at WPC would agree that we dont need keyboards, custom SMS apps, launchers etc..
We have a great file manager, and MS services are better than google's in most regards (atleast if you have the will to switch over), sharing between apps is super risky for the OS and is shouldn't be allowed as it cant be controlled easily (it should be allowed on permission basis, as is already done), and MS was never about open source, which would just kill MS.
I'm loving my decision to pick a WP (i got over the launcher etc fad, that was time pass only) and i wont go back now !

P.S. We do need actionable notifications and split screen. But some new things coming in wp8.1 (allowing devs to code to let apps retrieve your messages in background so that you click on a toast and the app opens in a split second) make actionable notifications not that big a thing to miss.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Adding launchers (to replace the most personal home screen), SMS apps (to replace the fastest SMS client i've seen), keyboards (to replace the fastest non swype keyboard, and soon it is getting swype), all this isn't useful IMO. They take the peace of mind away from you, and make the OS slow and buggy. The stock stuff is properly optimised, and is super secure. MS has not got any reason to see your usage patterns for ads.
Sorry, i find WP more useful (except apps). :smile:

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Oh yes ? Isn't allowing an app to take over your homescreen, read your messages, see what you type (OMG THIS IS SO INSECURE ! and the default keyboard it much better than most ! the upcoming one is better than swipe), isn't all this insecure ?
p.s. you should really try pocket file manager ! It can handle almost everything, MS allowed it access privileges. It can even edit id3 tags (there are few file managers which do that even on android), and does everything you may want it to, and is constantly updated with new features.
And you can install dialers at present too..

You are being a little sensationalist. Its not insecure.

vipin_thegame

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
In terms of device usability, OS performance and app stability, a definite yes.
In terms of quality of store apps, better than Android (with such a huge number of malwares), but still not as good as the apps on iOS.
In terms of OS features, much much powerful than iOS but just under Android.

I moved from Android (Samsing Galaxy S 4G and HTC One S) to Windows Phone with the Lumia 900, then upgraded to 920 and now use a 1520.
I am NOT going back to Android nor am I going to switch to an iPhone( i do have an ipad and love it, just in case you guys think i am a blind apple hater)

I love WP and am sure Microsoft will work towards eliminating whatever gap still remains, by the next iteration (WP8.2 or WP9)

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Adding launchers (to replace the most personal home screen), SMS apps (to replace the fastest SMS client i've seen), keyboards (to replace the fastest non swype keyboard, and soon it is getting swype), all this isn't useful IMO. They take the peace of mind away from you, and make the OS slow and buggy. The stock stuff is properly optimised, and is super secure. MS has not got any reason to see your usage patterns for ads.
Sorry, i find WP more useful (except apps). :smile:

Its only slow and buggy if you allow it to be so. Android is made where the user experience is whatever YOU the user make it. Regarding ads, there are actually a lot of apps that don't have ads and ads are in apps on the Windows store too.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
In terms of device usability, OS performance and app stability, a definite yes.
In terms of quality of store apps, better than Android (with such a huge number of malwares), but still not as good as the apps on iOS.
In terms of OS features, much much powerful than iOS but just under Android.

I moved from Android (Samsing Galaxy S 4G and HTC One S) to Windows Phone with the Lumia 900, then upgraded to 920 and now use a 1520.
I am NOT going back to Android nor am I going to switch to an iPhone( i do have an ipad and love it, just in case you guys think i am a blind apple hater)

I love WP and am sure Microsoft will work towards eliminating whatever gap still remains, by the next iteration (WP8.2 or WP9)

I'm still confused why people are claiming a large number of malware of android. Is there any sources to back this up? Or are you just repeating the status quo around here? Its not true as of right now with android so I don't think its should be said anymore like it's a fact.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Its only slow and buggy if you allow it to be so. Android is made where the user experience is whatever YOU the user make it. Regarding ads, there are actually a lot of apps that don't have ads and ads are in apps on the Windows store too.

no but google monitors everything you do to give you targetted ads. MS respects your info by not pulling ad info from it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss