Do you think WP8.1 is on par with IOS and ANDROID?

LCW

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Until WP gets more app and developer support, and grows to double digit market share, it will continue to be second tier to iOS and Android.

jthow24

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I think Windows phone has got a great OS and features but it does lack in apps which will grow over the coming years when windows phone becomes better
But Windows 8.1 when it comes out will boost Windows phone.

j rr

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
As someone stated, this question is a little too early as none of us have actually used 8.1 yet. For now i find ios the most practical OS option available... i love live tiles in wp but i feel very limited in terms of other stuff. I recently gave wp a second chance only because most people were saying that apps were not at excuse anymore... big mistake. Third party apps are laggy or feel like an unfinished product... even official apps feel beta'ish.

I need to wait to test out 8.1 to say if its on par with anything, on paper things look much better but we just have to wait and see. Also, im sure aware that even if the UI is better than 8 i still have to wait for apps to be better user friendly.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
As someone stated, this question is a little too early as none of us have actually used 8.1 yet. For now i find ios the most practical OS option available... i love live tiles in wp but i feel very limited in terms of other stuff. I recently gave wp a second chance only because most people were saying that apps were not at excuse anymore... big mistake. Third party apps are laggy or feel like an unfinished product... even official apps feel beta'ish.

I need to wait to test out 8.1 to say if its on par with anything, on paper things look much better but we just have to wait and see. Also, im sure aware that even if the UI is better than 8 i still have to wait for apps to be better user friendly.

I couldn't disagree more.

BLKahuna

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure Android 4.4 still has a ****-ton more of features than iOS 7 which has a ****-ton more features than WP8.1. Sure MS closed the gap on iOS 7 to maybe 80%, but they better keep iterating faster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_mobile_operating_systems

This Wikipedia article has now been updated to include the features of 8.1 (updated: 9 April 2014 at 13:22). It tells a very different story. It's clear from this comparison, which is pretty thorough IMO, that WP8.1 is at least on par with Android and both are superior to iOS.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
This Wikipedia article has now been updated to include the features of 8.1 (updated: 9 April 2014 at 13:22). It tells a very different story. It's clear from this comparison, which is pretty thorough IMO, that WP8.1 is at least on par with Android and both are superior to iOS.

I found a few things that are still on Android only:

File transfer over wifi

USB otg

Screencasting

Bluetooth accessories such as keyboards and etc.

Video output

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
^file transfer is on iOS as well
video output is rumored to be in 8.1
screen casting is already available with Nokia Beamer.

File transfer isn't on Windows Phone. Video output I think would have been announced already if it was there. Can you use Nokia Beamer for videos like Netflix or any other video service or just for like tutorials? Or is it for documents and photos only?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I think WP8.1 may have closed the feature gap but apps (+ quality of apps) remains.

That said, Google and Apple are probably going to announce new features for the I/O and WWDC (in June).

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
you can use Beamer for anything but because of the nature of screen casting, it is not recommended to broadcast any fast moving pictures with it (like videos). that goes for all screen capturing devices really. Beamer doesn't save btw, it only streams to other screens.
file transfer over Bluetooth with NFC works.
I'm pretty sure video output is one of the 8.1 feature.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
you can use Beamer for anything but because of the nature of screen casting, it is not recommended to broadcast any fast moving pictures with it (like videos). that goes for all screen capturing devices really. Beamer doesn't save btw, it only streams to other screens.
file transfer over Bluetooth with NFC works.
I'm pretty sure video output is one of the 8.1 feature.

File Transfer with Wifi Direct is what I'm getting at. I will probably have to get some confirmation on video output. So Beamer is not recommended for video output I suppose? Just curious.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Blakey.

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Google has MS by the balls since they hold the most valuable consumer cloud services(search, maps, video).

Not to mention how popular GMail and Google Docs are. And while I don't use it, a lot of people do use Hangouts. I primarily use Skype and Facebook for messaging outside of texting, but Microsoft has really not done much with Skype.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
What does "on par" mean? If it means app availability, then probably never. But otherwise I bought a WP because I wanted a WP, not because I couldn't have an iOS or Android device so I don't feel like I'm "stuck" with a WP. It does everything I need out of a smartphone. I've used BB, WinMO and Android in the past. I have no problem with Android and couldn't rule out using an Android in the future. I will never own an iOS device because I've owned Apple stuff before and just don't like it. I bought a WP because I wanted a WP so I guess it's already there for me.

nemo7

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I think WP8.1 may have closed the feature gap but apps (+ quality of apps) remains.

That said, Google and Apple are probably going to announce new features for the I/O and WWDC (in June).

Exactly. If i use 9Gag and i dont even save a Picture on my WP make me Sick!! OneDrive is a Joke on wp, why i only Can save Pics?? On Android u Can save every File u Want! WP on par with Android ? Never.

Think different.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte