Do you think WP8.1 is on par with IOS and ANDROID?

nemo7

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
How do you know that? Are you looking in an emulator? In that case forget it, the emulator will be uppdated.

No i am not looking in an Emulator. I played with Lumia 1520 with latest Version of 8.1 and i ask an Nokia Guy last Friday at Nokia Conference in Germany.

LillWicke

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
No i am not looking in an Emulator. I played with Lumia 1520 with latest Version of 8.1 and i ask an Nokia Guy last Friday at Nokia Conference in Germany.
Latest version of a beta? The version to the devs isn't out yet, neither is the customer version.

sam1902

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Honestly being a user of wp for past 11 months i don't think so.....

I hav been a past symbian user there were sum features i have to adapt like multitasking
Honestly it sucks!!! And anyone using wp cant deny it....
But i have adapted it so no problems now but i do hope 8.1 brings improved multitasking??

As now onto question.... Honestly it is on par with android with 8.1 and ios also but here and there som features.... That will be two coming in gdr's
I think this because there is still app gap... According to me.... For eg... A updated version of the app is never been available at the same time... And the when it comes as it... That will dday i will consider wp on par....

I think microsoft was not active from start from 2010 because they weren't even having confidence on their own os and if they have started taking steps then
The situation now would have been a bit ( alot) different and when they seen because of nokia they started working hard as its the only oem who had given efforts to bring up this platform and that is why i chose lumia over others...��

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Honestly being a user of wp for past 11 months i don't think so.....

I hav been a past symbian user there were sum features i have to adapt like multitasking
Honestly it sucks!!! And anyone using wp cant deny it....
But i have adapted it so no problems now but i do hope 8.1 brings improved multitasking??

As now onto question.... Honestly it is on par with android with 8.1 and ios also but here and there som features.... That will be two coming in gdr's
I think this because there is still app gap... According to me.... For eg... A updated version of the app is never been available at the same time... And the when it comes as it... That will dday i will consider wp on par....

I think microsoft was not active from start from 2010 because they weren't even having confidence on their own os and if they have started taking steps then
The situation now would have been a bit ( alot) different and when they seen because of nokia they started working hard as its the only oem who had given efforts to bring up this platform and that is why i chose lumia over others...��

It`s so hard to read this post.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
It is on par from an operating standpoint. It is behind on third party apps by a large margin.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If the app performs as it should, does it really matter if it's 3rd party? How many programs on our desktop actually come from the OEMs?

Sent from my HTC One S using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
It actually is increasing the gap.. Always felt WP8 was better than the others despite lacking some key features. WP8.1 just gave it a Great Leap Forward.
"Great Leap Forward"??? Have you looked at the documentation for the FilePicker? Before calling that API I have to prepare my WP81 app for termination, just in case it happens. WTF? A WP81 device has at least 512 MB of system memory to work with. The Async sh*t in WinRT was bad enough but this FilePicker crap is beyond belief. I have no idea what they're thinking up in Redmond these days. Whoever designed and implemented WinRT/WinPRT should never be allowed near a computer again.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
If the app performs as it should, does it really matter if it's 3rd party? How many programs on our desktop actually come from the OEMs?

OEMS make hardware though. When Jr comes to mobile apps, they should be first party because of 1.) Reliable updates 2.) Its official so no api changes will affect it. 3.) It does not run the risk of the official company telling the third party developed to take it down (as evidenced by the recent tinder app).

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
"Great Leap Forward"??? Have you looked at the documentation for the FilePicker? Before calling that API I have to prepare my WP81 app for termination, just in case it happens. WTF? A WP81 device has at least 512 MB of system memory to work with. The Async sh*t in WinRT was bad enough but this FilePicker crap is beyond belief. I have no idea what they're thinking up in Redmond these days. Whoever designed and implemented WinRT/WinPRT should never be allowed near a computer again.

What are you ranting about?

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
It can't compete with android yet. With Google's music experience you can have 20k songs that you upload to the cloud from your computer and never pay google a cent. With microsoft's poor music experience, they have leaps and bounds to catch up in the multimedia experience realm.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
It is on par from an operating standpoint. It is behind on third party apps by a large margin.

I misspoke about 3rd party. I meant behind in many apps in the app store. 3rd party in meaning any software that isn't provided by the OEM or MS.

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I think it has more to do with platform limitations.

No, it has to do with mental limitations of the SDEs in WinPRT at MSFT. If the system is low on memory the FilePicker should reduce its memory usage (show text instead of thumbnails, etc.). If it still runs out of memory, how about this concept: return an OUT_OF_MEMORY error!. It's ok, sometimes things fail. You never design an API so that the rare error case metastasizes throughout third party code ... yet that's exactly what they've done here.

Design errors like this, where the exceptional case rules the roost, happens when there are too many cooks in the kitchen. You have a bunch of devs in a room and they all chime in with what could go wrong. Rather than design something that works 99.9% of the time (returning a freaking filename), the developer implementing the API is saddled with dealing with ninety-nine 0.1% cases that won't ever happen and comes up with a monstrosity. It's a failure of middle management to go to the dev and say "make it work and fail out on rare cases". Been there, done that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)