Do you think WP8.1 is on par with IOS and ANDROID?

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
No, it has to do with mental limitations of the SDEs in WinPRT at MSFT. If the system is low on memory the FilePicker should reduce its memory usage (show text instead of thumbnails, etc.). If it still runs out of memory, how about this concept: return an OUT_OF_MEMORY error!. It's ok, sometimes things fail. You never design an API so that the rare error case metastasizes throughout third party code ... yet that's exactly what they've done here.

Design errors like this, where the exceptional case rules the roost, happens when there are too many cooks in the kitchen. You have a bunch of devs in a room and they all chime in with what could go wrong. Rather than design something that works 99.9% of the time (returning a freaking filename), the developer implementing the API is saddled with dealing with ninety-nine 0.1% cases that won't ever happen and comes up with a monstrosity. It's a failure of middle management to go to the dev and say "make it work and fail out on rare cases". Been there, done that.

Sounds like you won't be using the film picker then.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

noregrets78

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
My first smartphone was an iPhone 3G. Went to the Droid Eris, then the Thunderbolt (custom roms and kernels loaded and other tweaks I could play with). Battery life pushed me to the iPhone 4, then the 5, now I have the 5S. Seriously considering moving away from iOS to WP 8.1. I'm an IT Pro and a geek at heart, I love toys like these. I can't answer if WP 8.1 is on par with Android or iOS because I haven't played with the new Kit Kat or 8.1 yet, but unless they get the apps to compete, it won't matter how good the core is. I'm probably going to get one anyway because I'm a huge Halo fan and I just have to have Cortana on a phone, especially since Jen Taylor is doing the voice work, but I don't want to live to regret the switch.

More apps and 8.1 based on what I've read could easily hang with the big boys.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
MS was once the cat's meow in the mobile world with its Windows Mobile devices. They were worlds better than the BlackBerries of the day, the Palm OS Treos and the Symbian devices. The HD2 was, and is, the best phone ever. It made WM palatable and gave new life to the aging platform with the capacitive screen. Timing was against it and it was even earmarked as a test bed for the coming WP7. Microsoft's biggest mistake was releasing a new OS with only a 1/4 of the functionality people were used to on WM. All the smoothness of the UI and operational sweetness of the devices couldn't make up for the lack of apps and substance the public were already enjoying on iOS and Android. The mobile world moves too rapidly and MS didn't have the luxury of waiting to make things right when the competition was improving and their respective app stores growing by leaps and bounds. WP8 has improved exponentially and 8.1 promises to be a game changer but there can be no hiccups with this release. BlackBerry didn't learn this lesson with their release of BB10 and they're in a world of hurt.

I honestly believe 8.1 will take the platform on par and even beyond iOS or Android. But if MS would have delayed WP7 and released the HD2 on AT&T or Verizon, they may have fared better. T-Mobile was not a smart choice to unveil that beast. Remember this, iPhone 3GS nor any FroYo device were ever a match for the Leo in October 2009.

Cerif27

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Mostly yes and a little no. I'm really impressed so far but the continued omission of dictating punctuation and being able to dictate multiple sentences in notes and texts seems weird. iOS has had this for YEARS and it's been available in just about every speech to text software for the last decade. I just don't understand why it's STILL not available even after our all powerful cortana updated. Geofencing is really cool...when it actually triggers anytime before 15 minutes after I've crossed a fence.

The deintegration from facebook has been a mess. That was something that put us ahead and was even advertised by WP8 in their commercials. This new app based implimentation is only as good as the app it's attached to. Unfortunately they obviously didn't take into account that the FB app is and has just about always been buggy as hell. My calendar doesn't sync properly anymore. I just went ahead and turned off FB calendar sync though I used it regularly before the update. I suppose it would be better if I let FB run in the background all the time (something I never had to do with 8.0) but their app destroys my battery life so that's not going to happen.

Verdict: Three steps forward, one step back. Loving the update, really missing the stuff they removed. It made the OS unique. Now it feels too much like androids app based BS when it comes to social media.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Verdict: Three steps forward, one step back. Loving the update, really missing the stuff they removed. It made the OS unique. Now it feels too much like androids app based BS when it comes to social media.

Exactly how I feel. On the plus side, we might not have to wait for new features. On the minus side, those features will be buggy and crappy, just like people complain about Android. Yay?

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Exactly how I feel. On the plus side, we might not have to wait for new features. On the minus side, those features will be buggy and crappy, just like people complain about Android. Yay?

To be honest, I already see just as much moaning about buggy features here as I do on Android forums.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, I already see just as much moaning about buggy features here as I do on Android forums.

Then again these are forums so of course you will hear more complaints, this is where we go for solutions, and discussions. To be even more honest, imore has the least complaining of bugginess but then again they are the least active forums.

adam220891

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
No.

Basic things continue to be impossible. File manager, direction list while navigating, legitimate brightness controls, etc. are still missing. Apps can still be tough to come by.

Speed/price represents a significant value for me. I could not get the latest Android OS (at least an official release) and a quick running brand new Android phone for $60 (the price I paid for my 521). I believe this is why the higher end phones are not penetrating the market so well...the value is not there, and WP8 does not compete head to head when it comes to functionality and application support.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Every OS has their pros and cons. The cons that other OSes have bother me more than the cons WP has. And I like how WP works, and the features it offers. I have a spare Android phone, and an iPad, so I am allowed to judge these OSes. ;)

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
MS was once the cat's meow in the mobile world with its Windows Mobile devices. They were worlds better than the BlackBerries of the day, the Palm OS Treos and the Symbian devices. .

How were they better than Symbian smartphones ? Even to this day there are things I can do on Symbian which I can not do on WP, such as attaching a PDF file to an e-mail. The multitasking on Symbian is still superior, and it runs on hardware so old and slow.. WP won't even be able to boot.

The reason Windows Mobile got killed in the market place was the fact that Pegasus (windows CE) was much heavier than Symbian.. that's why Nokia went with that instead of CE and the rest is history.

Here: Symbian, The Secret History: Dark Star • The Register

"At Comdex that year, Microsoft unveiled its Pegasus project, called Windows CE. It had signed up Casio and others to release Psion-like palmtops ? but they were poorly received. They were ungainly and couldn?t match the performance or battery life of Psion?s machines. Nevertheless, fear of Microsoft was perceptible.

?We said to Nokia, the world thinks the solution is Microsoft. The US didn?t know us ? they hadn't got a clue who Psion is. But the Nokias don't want to give their business to Microsoft,? Randall remembers.

When you read EPOC/Psion read Symbian.

So Nokia didn't want to deal with MS for number of reasonsm but I think this

"The sophistication and superiority of Epoc, compared to Windows CE, were evident to the pundits, who threw laurels at Psion's new machine. Psion users were used to a month on two AA batteries ? and the Series 5 very nearly matched that. But it had striven to match the flexibility of paper (Psion had viewed Filofax users as their traditional competition) with a 32bit world. Pictures could be embedded in a diary entry, for example."

"When Psion?s engineers tested Windows CE on the same hardware as Psion?s own Epoc, they found the Microsoft software was four times as power hungry.

"There's no way our engineers are going to go to Windows,? piped up one attendee.

Is one of the main reasons.. The difference in power consumption still holds true to this day, its just that at this point it doesn't matter because we have 3000 mah batts as standard and everyone is used to charging their phone once or even twice per 24hrs.

This bit is the most important one, and it really shaped Microsoft's mobile efforts in the 90s going into the 00s. They knew that it was extremely important to get the major OEMs on board, but... Nokia killed that dream

"?We went to Nokia and told them we think we can spin Psion Software out of Psion. Nokia said 'Let's go to Ericsson'. We wanted to get Motorola involved - but we'll agree everyone's an equal citizen.?

Nokia and Ericsson visited Psion's London HQ on 7 April, 1998. After that, the project became known as Saturn - Nokia and Ericsson's code name.

A month later, on 7 and 8 May, the details were thrashed out. Nokia, Ericsson and Psion ? represented by East, Wood and Christensen ? met for retreats at Nokia ? the small town that gave the Finnish giant its name. Much of Nokia's planning and R&D takes place at nearby Tampere, in a sprawling modernistic facility, but the company retains a Mansion in the old town.

The decision to exclude Motorola from the planning was deliberate.

The positive reception from Nokia and Ericsson ? and evident agreement between the three ? delighted Potter, who went on to change his mind, and gave the spin-out the full blessing."

And after they got Motorola on board as well..

The other task was for the new partners to break the news to Microsoft.

The task of the courtesy call to Bill Gates fell to Nokia?s corporate executive vice president, and later CEO, Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo.

?Kallasvuo told us it was the worst call of his career. Gates was like a baby throwing his toys out of his pram. He was screaming.?

Microsoft was left with HP, Casio, DELL, etc. They simply had NO chance against Ericsson and Nokia. It was a colossal blow to their strategy and Gates knew that..

We all know how this panned out for Nokia.. sheer incompetence ran the system to the ground -> the iPhone -> panic mode -> major lossless -> Microsoft finally gets what they want and buys the whole fing thing.

Its very important to understand the journey which led us to the Lumia line which we now enjoy. It wasn't pretty.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
No.

Basic things continue to be impossible. File manager, direction list while navigating, legitimate brightness controls, etc. are still missing. Apps can still be tough to come by.

Speed/price represents a significant value for me. I could not get the latest Android OS (at least an official release) and a quick running brand new Android phone for $60 (the price I paid for my 521). I believe this is why the higher end phones are not penetrating the market so well...the value is not there, and WP8 does not compete head to head when it comes to functionality and application support.

For $30 more you can with the Moto G.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium