04-08-2014 11:01 AM
48 12
tools
    See, now you've gone and injected perfectly rational logic into an interwebz thread......
    I will personally admit I was being quick to conclude.... If there is a flagship released.
    04-02-2014 11:05 PM
    Now that the smoke has died away I'm not so fazed by this anymore. I've been looking at getting a Phablet device anyway and now that nothing is coming for awhile, my eyes are drifting to the Lumia 1520.
    Damn, it's going to be a fight to the death between the 1520, and the GNote3.
    04-02-2014 11:38 PM
    I have a 1520 and I have repaired a handful of Note 3 devices. Based on build quality alone, the 1520 wins hands down. They call the back of the Note 3 "faux leather". I call it textured plastic. They call the bezel "brushed metal". I call it plastic. 1520, in my opinion, is the best phone out right now.
    04-03-2014 08:26 AM
    it wouldn't be so bad (well.. It would.. but not AS bad) if the Icon was on AT&T...
    But since the Icon is not locked to Verizon, you can put it on any carrier you want.
    04-03-2014 08:29 AM
    But since the Icon is not locked to Verizon, you can put it on any carrier you want.
    The Icon IS locked to verizon's cmda though
    04-03-2014 09:48 AM
    The Icon IS locked to verizon's cmda though
    Ummm.... No. You may be challenged to be able to get it onto another CDMA carrier, but not because it is locked. It is not allowed to be.
    [INFO]47 CFR 27.16 - Network access requirements for Block C in the 746-757 and 776-787 MHz bands. | LII / Legal Information Institute
    (e) Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee's standards pursuant to paragraph (b)of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers' networks. [/INFO]

It also has GSM radios, and is not locked on those, either.
    04-03-2014 09:56 AM
    From the Icon forum and people bring it over to AT&T, it seems that LTE does not work with the Icon and AT&T.. as well as no MMS. and a few other issues.. If all the people in the WPC Icon forum are wrong then awesome! Still though, would be nice to just go into an AT&T store and say "I want that" and it just work.
    04-03-2014 01:15 PM
    I have a 1520 and I have repaired a handful of Note 3 devices. Based on build quality alone, the 1520 wins hands down. They call the back of the Note 3 "faux leather". I call it textured plastic. They call the bezel "brushed metal". I call it plastic. 1520, in my opinion, is the best phone out right now.
    Yeah I"m leaning towards the 1520 but I need to find a store and try it out in my hands because while I've been able to get a feel of the Gnote3 I can't find a 1520 in the wild.
    04-03-2014 01:28 PM
    I was really hoping for a Windows Phone 8.1 flagship phone. With the rest of the world getting the Lumia 930, which is just an international version of Verizon's Icon, and the only other two announcements being the 630 and 635, both medium range phones, I was really disappointed with the hardware announcements at Build this year. And the disappointment with Build should not be a question of where someone lives in the world; it seems like everyone got screwed here.
    04-03-2014 01:34 PM
    Anyone know when the next big event will be for either Microsoft or Nokia? At least we'll have something to look forward to.
    04-03-2014 01:36 PM
    what do you call the new 5" Nokia 930. Sure looks like a Flagship
    04-03-2014 01:40 PM
    He says no flagship coming to US.. Nokia said they will continue the current line of Lumia devices in the US, nothing new here, only in the rest of the world.
    04-03-2014 01:43 PM
    The Lumia 930 is the international version of Verizon's Lumia Icon, which has been on Verizon for a few months now. The Lumia 930 is not new hardware, just hardware that has migrated from the US market to the international market.
    04-03-2014 01:45 PM
    From the Icon forum and people bring it over to AT&T, it seems that LTE does not work with the Icon and AT&T.. as well as no MMS. and a few other issues.. If all the people in the WPC Icon forum are wrong then awesome! Still though, would be nice to just go into an AT&T store and say "I want that" and it just work.
    LTE may or may not work. I don't know. I know that my step-daughter's 822 is on Straight Talk with an ATT SIM, and is getting HSPA, and MMS works. Yes, MMS will work. It may take some fiddling, but I have gotten two Verizon phones working on ATT's network.
    04-03-2014 02:33 PM
    LTE may or may not work. I don't know. I know that my step-daughter's 822 is on Straight Talk with an ATT SIM, and is getting HSPA, and MMS works. Yes, MMS will work. It may take some fiddling, but I have gotten two Verizon phones working on ATT's network.
    LTE will FOR A FACT not work on At&t, there's no may or may not.
    04-07-2014 09:14 PM
    To be honest, I think as far as North America is concerned, Microsoft should sell Windows Phones unlocked and unbranded (i.e. carrier-free) directly), at least the high-end ones. I'm sure AT&T, T-Mobile, etc. are fine with the low and medium-end WP handsets, but the high-end stuff should be direct across the board, i.e. availability, updates, band compatibility, etc.

Since the prospective market for high-end WPs in the US is small, I don't see AT&T or Verizon making much of a fuss about approving unlocked WPs for use on their networks. On the other hand, it'll make life easy for the 1-2% of US smartphone users seeking a high-end Windows Phone.

Things are pretty dry up here in Canada as well, i.e. no Lumia 1520, no Lumia 930, not even 630/635 or even 525. I would much prefer paying the full retail price if I could just buy the bloody handset from Microsoft unlocked and unbranded.
    04-07-2014 10:06 PM
    To be honest, I think as far as North America is concerned, Microsoft should sell Windows Phones unlocked and unbranded (i.e. carrier-free) directly), at least the high-end ones. I'm sure AT&T, T-Mobile, etc. are fine with the low and medium-end WP handsets, but the high-end stuff should be direct across the board, i.e. availability, updates, band compatibility, etc.

Since the prospective market for high-end WPs in the US is small, I don't see AT&T or Verizon making much of a fuss about approving unlocked WPs for use on their networks. On the other hand, it'll make life easy for the 1-2% of US smartphone users seeking a high-end Windows Phone.

Things are pretty dry up here in Canada as well, i.e. no Lumia 1520, no Lumia 930, not even 630/635 or even 525. I would much prefer paying the full retail price if I could just buy the bloody handset from Microsoft unlocked and unbranded.
    yes this. At least the Nokia phones after the deal is completed
    04-07-2014 10:19 PM
    Mistake me if I'm wrong, but this is in fact what I am seeing...Why would this ever be seen as a viable marketing strategy?
    the 6 series, and only after the rest of the world
    04-07-2014 10:19 PM
    We'll probably all be happier if carriers give the 8.1 updates to existing devices within like a month of the release. I'm thinking something similar to the 930 might be announced for AT&T in late spring. They take their time... hopefully not too much this time!
    04-07-2014 11:09 PM
    I think it's clear that Verizon has exclusivity dibs on Icon/930 design and will not allow AT&T to get the 930. Also, the only reason why 930 looks like Icon is because it's a money saving move before complete Microsoft take over. Why spend millions into designing a new phone, when you already have it? $100 says that AT&T is getting a new, exclusive flagship (that we don't know about) sometime after summer.
    04-07-2014 11:38 PM
    LTE will FOR A FACT not work on At&t, there's no may or may not.
    The reason for my first sentence was my second sentence. Chill.
    04-08-2014 09:59 AM
    You folks in the US are getting Cortana first so you guys can wait for new phones now
    hopmedic likes this.
    04-08-2014 10:27 AM
    Unless Sony or HTC come out with a new WP flagship, I'm just gonna wait until the Icon comes to T-Mobile this year. I set countdown that says that the supposed 6-month exclusive for Verizon, ends August 20th.. I've been stubborn in not getting a new phone, i.e. iPhone, Galaxy, for 2 1/2 years now. I suppose I could wait a little longer...

I really don't want that 630. No flash. :/
    04-08-2014 11:01 AM
48 12