So there are NO new handsets coming to the U.S. to debut WP 8.1

nkaufmann

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
So several things I have noticed.... 630 and 635 = NOT flagships. Honestly it just makes no sense to not have a flagship coming with the OS. Especially because Microsoft owns Nokia, you can't tell me they didn't have ample time to test the new software. I wasn't asking for some snapdragon 805 chipset or anything outrageous, but maybe an improved battery/on screen keys/ ir blaster/ ANYTHING to advertise on that the current phones do not have.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Now that the smoke has died away I'm not so fazed by this anymore. I've been looking at getting a Phablet device anyway and now that nothing is coming for awhile, my eyes are drifting to the Lumia 1520.
Damn, it's going to be a fight to the death between the 1520, and the GNote3. :grincry:

rjansen3

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a 1520 and I have repaired a handful of Note 3 devices. Based on build quality alone, the 1520 wins hands down. They call the back of the Note 3 "faux leather". I call it textured plastic. They call the bezel "brushed metal". I call it plastic. 1520, in my opinion, is the best phone out right now.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The Icon IS locked to verizon's cmda though
Ummm.... No. You may be challenged to be able to get it onto another CDMA carrier, but not because it is locked. It is not allowed to be.
[INFO]47 CFR 27.16 - Network access requirements for Block C in the 746-757 and 776-787 MHz bands. | LII / Legal Information Institute
(e) Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee's standards pursuant to paragraph (b)of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers' networks. [/INFO]

It also has GSM radios, and is not locked on those, either.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
But since the Icon is not locked to Verizon, you can put it on any carrier you want.

From the Icon forum and people bring it over to AT&T, it seems that LTE does not work with the Icon and AT&T.. as well as no MMS. and a few other issues.. If all the people in the WPC Icon forum are wrong then awesome! Still though, would be nice to just go into an AT&T store and say "I want that" and it just work.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a 1520 and I have repaired a handful of Note 3 devices. Based on build quality alone, the 1520 wins hands down. They call the back of the Note 3 "faux leather". I call it textured plastic. They call the bezel "brushed metal". I call it plastic. 1520, in my opinion, is the best phone out right now.
Yeah I"m leaning towards the 1520 but I need to find a store and try it out in my hands because while I've been able to get a feel of the Gnote3 I can't find a 1520 in the wild.

KoreyTM

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I was really hoping for a Windows Phone 8.1 flagship phone. With the rest of the world getting the Lumia 930, which is just an international version of Verizon's Icon, and the only other two announcements being the 630 and 635, both medium range phones, I was really disappointed with the hardware announcements at Build this year. And the disappointment with Build should not be a question of where someone lives in the world; it seems like everyone got screwed here.

KoreyTM

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know when the next big event will be for either Microsoft or Nokia? At least we'll have something to look forward to.

KoreyTM

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
what do you call the new 5" Nokia 930. Sure looks like a Flagship

The Lumia 930 is the international version of Verizon's Lumia Icon, which has been on Verizon for a few months now. The Lumia 930 is not new hardware, just hardware that has migrated from the US market to the international market.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
From the Icon forum and people bring it over to AT&T, it seems that LTE does not work with the Icon and AT&T.. as well as no MMS. and a few other issues.. If all the people in the WPC Icon forum are wrong then awesome! Still though, would be nice to just go into an AT&T store and say "I want that" and it just work.
LTE may or may not work. I don't know. I know that my step-daughter's 822 is on Straight Talk with an ATT SIM, and is getting HSPA, and MMS works. Yes, MMS will work. It may take some fiddling, but I have gotten two Verizon phones working on ATT's network.

Azizelh

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
LTE may or may not work. I don't know. I know that my step-daughter's 822 is on Straight Talk with an ATT SIM, and is getting HSPA, and MMS works. Yes, MMS will work. It may take some fiddling, but I have gotten two Verizon phones working on ATT's network.

LTE will FOR A FACT not work on At&t, there's no may or may not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb