04-09-2014 08:20 AM
105 12345
tools
    After spending some time reading some of the comments people have written here about 8.1 im left scratching my head and thinking WTF did people want. I for one am stoked with what i have seen from build and even today reveals are popping up that weren't even mentioned at the conference. Remember people build is for devs and not all of them would have had a chance to play with the OS. For me build was the tip of a massive iceberg that MS has planned for its mobile os and i expect some of the things people here a moaning about the os "lacking" will be developed by the talented devs that support the platform. Look at the new lock screen that Rudy and MS developed. Did any of you expect that?? Thought not, just be patient people, this isn't a sprint but a marathon.
    THIS^^
    This is why I tend to council those of us on the platform to stay in your lane. If you spend exorbitant amounts of time clutching your iPhone while trying to live in THIS ecosystem your frustration levels will stay high. I'm not trying to develop self-imposed stress coveting what my neighbor has. I'm working with ONE platform and ONE ecosystem. We got 8.1 about to drop and at least a month of fine tuning to work out once we get this installed. Lets get it done first then worry about if Facebook will build a WP app.
    04-05-2014 12:54 PM
    Is this true? This would be a good case of expectation vs reality. I was hoping for IPsec and IKEv2 at least and maybe OpenVPN and PPTP if the skies opened up.
    The VPN support is extendable by apps. So dont worry ;)
    Jazmac likes this.
    04-05-2014 12:57 PM
    What I wanted was pretty simple. A 5 inch version of the 1520 that isn't stuck on a specific provider. The features they added are nifty and appreciated, but many of them don't blow me away.

Cortana is cool, but I probably wont use it much. How often do you actually see people use Siri or Google Now? Like, never? When those things first came out, people thought it was amazing, but not anymore. Its just a gimmick. Cortana is the same. Are you REALLY going to book a flight by telling Cortana to do it, or are you going to scour the web for deals? Are you going to ask Cortana about the weather? How often are you sitting around, thinking about the weather, and just feel so burdened by the effort of opening one of 500 weather apps to find out? If the OS is fluid and fluent enough, you generally don't need to tell your phone to do things with voice command. TellMe has no problem calling people, texting people, or opening apps, and that's all I need it for. Now there is much more complex software behind WPs voice commands, which leaves it open to more issues.

The notification center is great, and I am glad its there, but it pretty much removes a large portion of the need for live tiles. I love the size of the tiles. I love that I can change them and move them around. I love that they flip around and animate and all that stuff. But how many people really use any live tile features beyond reading the start of a recent text? Im glad we have a notification center, even if its far from a new feature to smart phones in general.

Any size tiles? That's cool, but I don't need it. I have absolutely no trouble managing the 3 sizes we have available now, and I don't think many other people do either.

Transparent tiles so you can show your background? Its cool, and I have seen some nifty looking concepts and samples. I cant imagine ill ever take a picture that would serve as a good background for live tiles. The pics I have seen used are generally not that colorful. I will probably use whatever they have installed by default.

In the end, all I want is a 5 inch phone that has all of the features that a Windows Phone can have, and is relatively future proof. The 930/Icon does not qualify. They are both lacking features available on the 1520. I would gladly shell out $300 on contract for an amazing WP that doesn't have a bunch of glaring omissions and isn't 6 inches tall. I am happy with 8.1 as it has been described, as long as I have a great piece of hardware to compliment it.

MS needs to get on a faster release cycle. I will never understand why they (or any OS provider) insist on massive updates once every 18 months. How about one small update every 4 - 6 months, and you can still save the big changes for major releases.
    04-05-2014 01:16 PM
    May I remind you we still cant edit an email before forwarding? Or attach PDFs to email? Or attach multiple docs to email?
    Or copy/paste multiple cells in Excel? Or download and store videos through IE?

And they say WP is great for business.
    04-05-2014 01:48 PM
    Oh I just thought of something that needs to be standard on all WP devices that should be included in 8.1 but it isn't. Text search in IE. You should be able to swipe a certain way or hit a button on the screen that brings up a search window and lets you search for text in a document. Im not sure if other devices or browsers support this, but IE should. It should be standard. There is no reason not to include it.
    04-05-2014 01:50 PM
    I still think this is what people expect from Windows Phone. Feel free to tell me your opinion about this concept...http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...8-1-9-0-a.html

Twitter: @NikCR7
    Last edited by rockstarzzz; 04-05-2014 at 05:39 PM.
    04-05-2014 02:01 PM
    I hope that i can use Cortana, Sweden... Stupid if not, English is like Swedish to me..
    04-05-2014 02:06 PM
    I still think this is what people expect from Windows Phone. Feel free to tell me your opinion about this concept...

Nope, I still think its a clutterfcuk.
    Last edited by rockstarzzz; 04-05-2014 at 05:38 PM.
    monso0n likes this.
    04-05-2014 02:06 PM
    Nope, I still think its a clutterfcuk.
    I really don't care what you think nor I care what Clutterfcuk means. You might be a moderator or 24/7 on WPcentral, I still think this concept of Windows Phone should be considered by Microsoft and the Joe Belfiore team.
    04-05-2014 03:36 PM
    I really don't care what you think nor I care what Clutterfcuk means. You might be a moderator or 24/7 on WPcentral, I still think this concept of Windows Phone should be considered by Microsoft and the Joe Belfiore team.
    Of course, you shouldn't care what I think! That's the last thing I would want someone to do, heck even I don't care what I think! Yes, I am the moderator and I am on WPC 24/7 too, yeah I don't have a life either. But that doesn't change the fact that all this concept is - by all means a clutter. I would be glad to see Joe consider this for you and probably vote for it for all I care, if you wanted me to. But WP has a breathing room on its tiles, around the tiles. We aren't lacking SO much in functionality that we literally need to suffocate the OS. Also, by repeatedly shoving this link in threads where people are talking about functionality of WP all you are doing is borderline spamming. If you want Joe to see what you think, create a thread here, put that link up, take ownership of that creation, get votes from the community and get heard - Feature Suggestions: Hot (48725 ideas) – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone
    04-05-2014 03:51 PM
    As you don't need to. But he does indeed have a point. While some of the design elements would look great on Windows Phone, a lot of the other elements are not going to work on smaller screens.
    NikCR7 likes this.
    04-05-2014 04:01 PM
    You must know that I am a USER, not a DEVELOPER. I wouldn't install a work in progress OS with many bugs and a store that doesn't download apps so I can get my hands on 8.1, not to mention all the apps that still needs to be updated to take advantage of it's capabilities. I was hoping that Microsoft would finally go the shut-up-and-ship module that Apple follows, and that this update was already in the hands of important developers and they worked on it with their apps for a while, but sadly, this isn't the case. Microsoft copies Apple in lots of ways, but they always copy them in the bad stuff they do, never in the good ones.
    And you must know that its not literally a developer preview, but an enthusiast program, and you must know that you CAN download apps from the store, and you must know that the version they give you is 99% complete, and you must know that they all copy each other.
    04-05-2014 04:18 PM
    Of course, you shouldn't care what I think! That's the last thing I would want someone to do, heck even I don't care what I think! Yes, I am the moderator and I am on WPC 24/7 too, yeah I don't have a life either. But that doesn't change the fact that all this concept is - by all means a clutter. I would be glad to see Joe consider this for you and probably vote for it for all I care, if you wanted me to. But WP has a breathing room on its tiles, around the tiles. We aren't lacking SO much in functionality that we literally need to suffocate the OS. Also, by repeatedly shoving this link in threads where people are talking about functionality of WP all you are doing is borderline spamming. If you want Joe to see what you think, create a thread here, put that link up, take ownership of that creation, get votes from the community and get heard - Feature Suggestions: Hot (48725 ideas) €“ Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone
    You're right, I don't want to offend anyone here. I know this concept suffocates the OS, but all I'm trying to concentrate on the improvement on the UI. This doesn't mean the Joe Belfiore team has to concentrate on all the features show in the video. I've no intentions of spamming, I'm just trying to spread this concept on the largest Windows Phone community on the entire internet. I come here in peace and am open minded to different opinions. I agree with you but you gotta admit, this video makes Windows Phone look awesome.
    Apologies for the past comments.

Cheers

04-05-2014 04:19 PM
    I still think this is what people expect from Windows Phone. Feel free to tell me your opinion about this concept...

tweet this to joe belfiore or someone who is in the WP design team. We can't do anything but they can.
    NikCR7 likes this.
    04-05-2014 04:46 PM

That looks like a great concept, personally I think that's closer to how Windows Phone 8 should be, because it blends mobile and Windows 8 very well together. I especially like the multitasking, app closing, and that split screen.
    NikCR7 likes this.
    04-05-2014 05:00 PM
    That looks like a great concept, personally I think that's closer to how Windows Phone 8 should be, because it blends mobile and Windows 8 very well together. I especially like the multitasking, app closing, and that split screen.
    tweet this to joe belfiore or someone who is in the WP design team. We can't do anything but they can.
    You're right, I don't want to offend anyone here. I know this concept suffocates the OS, but all I'm trying to concentrate on the improvement on the UI. This doesn't mean the Joe Belfiore team has to concentrate on all the features show in the video. I've no intentions of spamming, I'm just trying to spread this concept on the largest Windows Phone community on the entire internet. I come here in peace and am open minded to different opinions. I agree with you but you gotta admit, this video makes Windows Phone look awesome.
    Apologies for the past comments.

Cheers

The correct thread to discuss this would be - http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...8-1-9-0-a.html - our community has discussed and expressed their opinions with the creator back in July 2013. This isn't anything new. We've discussed it for 3 months in 2013.
    Laura Knotek and BIGPADDY like this.
    04-05-2014 05:37 PM
    Well its nice to know this thread has sparked some interesting debate about Windows Phone 8.1.

Sent from my RM-927_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk
    Jazmac likes this.
    04-05-2014 06:40 PM
    Just for those saying they can't attach files (PDF,mp3s,docs, and so on) to emails. Pocket file manager has allowed this for a while now. I send various pdfs and mp3 files multiple times daily without issue. How is this app still over looked? Just wondering why a function is wanted that we already have. It WOULD be nice to have it baked in but it works just the same.
    04-05-2014 08:46 PM
    Or download and store videos through IE?
    Dude.. Its possible now..!!
    Maybe you should check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=ep0hLjQpl5I
    04-06-2014 02:37 AM
    There is optimism and then there is reality. As much as I appreciate your optimism, such features wont magically make it into the OS in a week.
    In a week we are going to see the "DEVELOPER PREVIEW"..
    The official update is still a few months away..!!
    We can expect Microsoft to add these features..!!
    And again.. Derz no harm in being POSITIVE.. :)
    04-06-2014 02:40 AM
    Windows phone office cant open password protected files, can someone confirm is there a support for that now?
    04-06-2014 02:51 AM
    Windows phone office cant open password protected files, can someone confirm is there a support for that now?
    Yes, it opens them now in Windows Phone 8.1 MS Office.
    04-06-2014 02:58 AM
    That is one extensive list but for the life of me I don't see how much of what you are talking about is something average smart phone buyers are clamoring to get hold of. In fact, no one I know even mentions those capability. They make calls, read mail, check weather, text their friends, play candy crush and look at FB. That is about it. They don't work for The Verge where they pretend their phones have to double as a desktop computer. These are average smart phone buyers.

You say you want that entire list to know you are up to par. Also something I don't completely believe but I'll take you at your word. Much of that I read in your list are in the "nice to have class" of features. But even for those OS that can do these things, I can bet a fraction of average phone users want any of it or know it even exists. Microsoft built in a good chunk of the things we requested in 8.1 and much of what they are doing at this stage of the game, IMHO, is under the hood for developers.

Microsoft is playing the long game like they always do. They don't build in features like blinking your eyes to change web pages, swiping your hand to move a web page and other gimmicky garbage Sammy did and for what? Showmanship. Nothing more. I know a few with those phones at work and I have never seen anyone use them. In the airports, waiting rooms, wherever I spot these Sammy devices, I have seen NO ONE using them. Its fluff.

Personally 8.1 update is a game changer. Cortana is off to a good start and will only get better as development fleshes out over time. Notification is also something I wanted in this OS. We got it Those core features are what people use. Facebook app written by Facebook is pure folly. Facebook can build or it can be built by another dev. Either way, you get a platform that can run a Facebook app. You should spend time in this ecosystem and not those others. I'll feel so much more complete that what you think about that greener grass you think you see.
    FYI, this list doesn't contain what I wish to see in Windows Phone, my list for I wish to see is far, far larger than the one I wrote. What my list really was is just stating what was promised to come with WP8.1 and didn't make it. Some of them were already in the SDK even but got removed in the final version!

Frustration with this update for me was a two way thing:
    1- Things that was leaked and promised to come with this update, and didn't make it.
    2- Things that I wanted in this update, regardless of them known to be coming or not.

SO, my list was about the first thing. Not exactly everything I want in the update.

You know, when you are late to the part, and your OS is far back at no.3, an update shouldn't be about having only what others have, for Microsoft to succeed they need to have what others don't. This is not the case til now. I wanna see Microsoft succeed, I know they can do more, enough with catching up with the competition, it's time for us to lead.

You can say all you want about costumers not realizing that it can do this, or that, and believe me, I never ask for what's gimmicky and what doesn't work, I want things that matter, that a lot of users that use a mobile phone currently don't even realize they need them. 20 years ago no one knew they needed a smart phone, but now it's something that no one can live without. This is what I am talking about, maybe I'll start a thread about all the things I want to see in the next Windows Phone update, but I wouldn't know cause lots of people will attack me as we haven't got a hand on this update yet.

Anyways, I am glad that you are satisfied with what you have now, I think you shouldn't look for any update at that matter, if you're that satisfied and don't need anything else than what this offers, then maybe the wheel of development should stop now and have a rest.
    04-06-2014 03:20 AM
    Frustration with this update for me was a two way thing:
    1- Things that was leaked and promised to come with this update, and didn't make it.
    2- Things that I wanted in this update, regardless of them known to be coming or not.
    You first point has contradiction. Things that were "leaked" (not by Microsoft) and "promised" (not by Microsoft) to come with this update and didn't make it. Of course it won't make it because Microsoft never showed you the leaks nor promised you anything ever about this update. This is going on the same track as Mango, Tango and WP8 updates. People assume that whatever they see on the internet is what Microsoft promises to bring! Microsoft still hasn't unwrapped any consumer features as far as I am concerned. Last time WP8 had two events, one for developers, one for consumers. The suggestions on uservoice were marked as completed when feature was in the OS, this time its different. Uservoice has still all those suggestions open. So either Microsoft is too busy with Windows 8.1 update 1 for this Tuesday or Microsoft is trying to debate on last minute consumer delights that may or may not go with developer preview.

However, your second point makes sense. Everyone wanted something in the update and trust me, most of them have got it. With this update all I wanted was timely announcements and instant release like Apple, but that didn't happen. Nothing would have excited me more than Microsoft come back real quick with launches, not even Cortana. But this is VERY subjective as you know.
    04-06-2014 04:26 AM

Microsoft is playing the long game like they always do. They don't build in features like blinking your eyes to change web pages, swiping your hand to move a web page and other gimmicky garbage Sammy did and for what? Showmanship. Nothing more. I know a few with those phones at work and I have never seen anyone use them. In the airports, waiting rooms, wherever I spot these Sammy devices, I have seen NO ONE using them. Its fluff.

Personally 8.1 update is a game changer. Cortana is off to a good start and will only get better as development fleshes out over time. Notification is also something I wanted in this OS. We got it Those core features are what people use. Facebook app written by Facebook is pure folly. Facebook can build or it can be built by another dev. Either way, you get a platform that can run a Facebook app. You should spend time in this ecosystem and not those others. I'll feel so much more complete that what you think about that greener grass you think you see.
    Cool story, bro.

Please note however, that the very same 'showmanship' you speak of has taken Samsung to a position of absolute supremacy in the smartphone market (excluding the USA). You may have never seen anyone using Samsung's features but that doesn't mean nobody does, unless you are God. I have, for example, seen many doctors who purchased these devices specifically for the ability to answer calls without touching the screen, because their hands must remain sterile at certain times.

With all these hominies about "stay in your lane" and 'be satisfied with what you have'... God, how can you come to a technology site (see, I can use bold too!) and spout all this. Tech is always about evolving, changing, pushing out new things. If everyone were like you, Mankind wouldn't have progressed beyond the discovery of fire.

edit: also, Candy Crush is not yet on WP so by your thesis it isn't fit for the average smartphone buyer.
    Sagar Limaye likes this.
    04-06-2014 04:29 AM
105 12345