Expectations vs Reality for Windows Phone 8.1

Coolaaron88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
We have for all intents and purposes have seen, more or less, everything that exists in Windows Phone 8.1. After seeing and reading most of the topics in this forum. Im left feeling puzzled. It seems that the majority of people aren't impressed with 8.1 or feel "meh" about the update.

Windows Phone 8.1 was designed to do two thing:

1. Add new functionality
2. Enhance existing functionality

Doesn't WP8.1 do that? Yet people feel like this update isn't enough and is just more of playing catchup. Well let me ask you, other than the few things that didn't make it into this build of Windows Phone, what else did you honestly want? I understand this update was about leveling the playing field but it seems like we like to throw out the "playing catch up/not innovating/nothing revolutionary" card all the time without actually citing what could be done. What else were you expecting to get out of this update to "excite" you?

I mean there are things that I wish made it into 8.1 as well, but I cant wait until this update drops. How does the rest of the forum feel?

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Personally im stoked, sure there could be always be more but im more than happy with what's to come. Cortana looks badass, the tile backgrounds is awesome and an open(ish) file system means we will get better audiobook support.

Im happy. Very happy.

Raesu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I love the update but am disappointed by Skype. Both new features are irrelevant to me. If I want to video chat a friend, I call him with Skype video. What I wanted was a massively overhauled client with proper file sharing (it even sucks on PC, IOS, android now as well), proper emoticons, and profile editing/able to see other profiles. Is that seriously not here yet? What about managing groups through the app, or group calls? Nope.

I do hope the update is much much faster than it is currently because I just about refuse to use it on my Lumia. It is very fast on my iPhone.

That said...still very excited for 8.1.

Coolaaron88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Personally im stoked, sure there could be always be more but im more than happy with what's to come. Cortana looks badass, the tile backgrounds is awesome and an open(ish) file system means we will get better audiobook support.

Im happy. Very happy.

Im happy as well. Its just the general vibe Im getting from people who just aren't happy with everything thats in this update. Do you have to be 100% satisfied? No, but I mean its better than 8.0.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It is the roll out timing that makes it "still" catching up. Features that take 3-6 months or more to reach globally v/s features on competition OS that will be available on the same day. In 6 months time WP8.1 will have all these catch up features that makes it on par with anything out there TODAY. But in those 6 months, competition would have leaped ahead, again. What WP8.1 is right now, is perfect for TODAY, not for 6 months down the line. That's where it has failed.

Coolaaron88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
It is the roll out timing that makes it "still" catching up. Features that take 3-6 months or more to reach globally v/s features on competition OS that will be available on the same day. In 6 months time WP8.1 will have all these catch up features that makes it on par with anything out there TODAY. But in those 6 months, competition would have leaped ahead, again. What WP8.1 is right now, is perfect for TODAY, not for 6 months down the line. That's where it has failed.

At least all Windows Phone 8 devices are getting the 8.1 updates. While I cant argue with you about the pace of the rollout of the update, its infinitely better than the sorry state of Android updates. I mean what more could happen in iOS 8 and Android 4.43 or Android 5 that couldn't be applied in WP 8.5 or in a GDR update this year. It not like because the competition is moving forward that Microsoft isn't as well.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
They say they will all get the update, but that surely means waiting for the carriers to get it out to us. I am skeptical that they will share the enthusiasm.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

RThere will be 2 new Nokia handsets on sale with 8.1 in 1 month, the 630/635 then the 930 a month later, not 6. So the OS will be available and competitive with the competition much sooner than 6 months.

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
It seems that the majority of people aren't impressed with 8.1 or feel "meh" about the update.

I'd be impressed if all these new features were available. You don't get up on stage after 15 months and say "yeah this will be released soon, this in 6 months, for you in 12 months."

"Here's a puppy, you can't play with it!" PRICKS no wonder they are on single digits in market share, don't hold off on the oxygen waiting for that to change!

Coolaaron88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'd be impressed if all these new features were available. You don't get up on stage after 15 months and say "yeah this will be released soon, this in 6 months, for you in 12 months."

"Here's a puppy, you can't play with it!" PRICKS no wonder they are on single digits in market share, don't hold off on the oxygen waiting for that to change!

Yeah, that must explain why Android is having such a hard time in the marketplace.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that must explain why Android is having such a hard time in the marketplace.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Android can afford what its doing now. It owns the market. Microsoft can't. They came late to the party, waited over a year for major OS upgrade and that isn't going to reach the masses before 6 months. Don't expect an influx of people buying 630, 635 and 930. They will be minority compared to all those WP8 handsets already in hands of end users.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
For me it's ok, mostly I have wanted VPN.
But I am still missing the USB Tethering which is still not added in wp8.1 as it seems. Also can anyone please tell me why the HECK for VPN there is only IKEv2 authentication type??? I mean comeon. Most use IPSEC or PPTP. I want to believe is just an emulator issue, but if this is true that only ikev2...this sucks..big time.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Been reading a bit because I'm not smart device market savvy.
It has been pointed out more than once in these forums about pushing updates.

Watching and reading in the aftermath of the build conference seeing the indifference to roll out timelines for the users by MSFT.
I can see now why this is so important based on how many members here clammer (demand) for change and improvement.

Looks to me that Microsoft has a strong following and a lot of interest.
MS really does need to pay whole attention to this following and realize how powerful this relationship could be.

Microsoft should humble itself before the masses like Google did in the beginning.
We all know how tough it is to sell something when it's fans are complaining.

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Don't expect an influx of people buying 630, 635 and 930.

Yeah I can't imagine anyone updating their handset until they have all features of 8.1 available. Meanwhile Nokia will no doubt be scratching heads saying "daa why no sales?" Of coarse by the end of the year the options might be much more interesting than a rebadged Icon!

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm happy. I'm already happy with what's available. I can't do what Microsoft does, so I'll just let them do their thing. I'm not a apple or android user, so I'll just be patient. 8.1 looks great.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm happy with what I saw. Can hardly wait!

I think that they got enough right that people will finally include Windows Phone when comparison shopping.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb