Expectations vs Reality for Windows Phone 8.1

afnan_mc

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I really don't care what you think nor I care what Clutterfcuk means. You might be a moderator or 24/7 on WPcentral, I still think this concept of Windows Phone should be considered by Microsoft and the Joe Belfiore team.

As you don't need to. But he does indeed have a point. While some of the design elements would look great on Windows Phone, a lot of the other elements are not going to work on smaller screens.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
You must know that I am a USER, not a DEVELOPER. I wouldn't install a work in progress OS with many bugs and a store that doesn't download apps so I can get my hands on 8.1, not to mention all the apps that still needs to be updated to take advantage of it's capabilities. I was hoping that Microsoft would finally go the shut-up-and-ship module that Apple follows, and that this update was already in the hands of important developers and they worked on it with their apps for a while, but sadly, this isn't the case. Microsoft copies Apple in lots of ways, but they always copy them in the bad stuff they do, never in the good ones.

And you must know that its not literally a developer preview, but an enthusiast program, and you must know that you CAN download apps from the store, and you must know that the version they give you is 99% complete, and you must know that they all copy each other.

NikCR7

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Of course, you shouldn't care what I think! That's the last thing I would want someone to do, heck even I don't care what I think! Yes, I am the moderator and I am on WPC 24/7 too, yeah I don't have a life either. But that doesn't change the fact that all this concept is - by all means a clutter. I would be glad to see Joe consider this for you and probably vote for it for all I care, if you wanted me to. But WP has a breathing room on its tiles, around the tiles. We aren't lacking SO much in functionality that we literally need to suffocate the OS. Also, by repeatedly shoving this link in threads where people are talking about functionality of WP all you are doing is borderline spamming. If you want Joe to see what you think, create a thread here, put that link up, take ownership of that creation, get votes from the community and get heard - Feature Suggestions: Hot (48725 ideas) ?€“ Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

You're right, I don't want to offend anyone here. I know this concept suffocates the OS, but all I'm trying to concentrate on the improvement on the UI. This doesn't mean the Joe Belfiore team has to concentrate on all the features show in the video. I've no intentions of spamming, I'm just trying to spread this concept on the largest Windows Phone community on the entire internet. I come here in peace and am open minded to different opinions. I agree with you but you gotta admit, this video makes Windows Phone look awesome.
Apologies for the past comments.

Cheers

Twitter: @NikCR7

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I still think this is what people expect from Windows Phone. Feel free to tell me your opinion about this concept...

tweet this to joe belfiore or someone who is in the WP design team. We can't do anything but they can.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I still think this is what people expect from Windows Phone. Feel free to tell me your opinion about this concept...

That looks like a great concept, personally I think that's closer to how Windows Phone 8 should be, because it blends mobile and Windows 8 very well together. I especially like the multitasking, app closing, and that split screen.

Last edited by a moderator:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
That looks like a great concept, personally I think that's closer to how Windows Phone 8 should be, because it blends mobile and Windows 8 very well together. I especially like the multitasking, app closing, and that split screen.

tweet this to joe belfiore or someone who is in the WP design team. We can't do anything but they can.

You're right, I don't want to offend anyone here. I know this concept suffocates the OS, but all I'm trying to concentrate on the improvement on the UI. This doesn't mean the Joe Belfiore team has to concentrate on all the features show in the video. I've no intentions of spamming, I'm just trying to spread this concept on the largest Windows Phone community on the entire internet. I come here in peace and am open minded to different opinions. I agree with you but you gotta admit, this video makes Windows Phone look awesome.
Apologies for the past comments.

Cheers

The correct thread to discuss this would be - http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/234327-my-concept-ui-windows-8-1-9-0-a.html - our community has discussed and expressed their opinions with the creator back in July 2013. This isn't anything new. We've discussed it for 3 months in 2013.

Coolaaron88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Well its nice to know this thread has sparked some interesting debate about Windows Phone 8.1.

Sent from my RM-927_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

jpling

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Just for those saying they can't attach files (PDF,mp3s,docs, and so on) to emails. Pocket file manager has allowed this for a while now. I send various pdfs and mp3 files multiple times daily without issue. How is this app still over looked? Just wondering why a function is wanted that we already have. It WOULD be nice to have it baked in but it works just the same.

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
There is optimism and then there is reality. As much as I appreciate your optimism, such features wont magically make it into the OS in a week.

In a week we are going to see the "DEVELOPER PREVIEW"..
The official update is still a few months away..!!
We can expect Microsoft to add these features..!!
And again.. Derz no harm in being POSITIVE.. :)

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
That is one extensive list but for the life of me I don't see how much of what you are talking about is something average smart phone buyers are clamoring to get hold of. In fact, no one I know even mentions those capability. They make calls, read mail, check weather, text their friends, play candy crush and look at FB. That is about it. They don't work for The Verge where they pretend their phones have to double as a desktop computer. These are average smart phone buyers.

You say you want that entire list to know you are up to par. Also something I don't completely believe but I'll take you at your word. Much of that I read in your list are in the "nice to have class" of features. But even for those OS that can do these things, I can bet a fraction of average phone users want any of it or know it even exists. Microsoft built in a good chunk of the things we requested in 8.1 and much of what they are doing at this stage of the game, IMHO, is under the hood for developers.

Microsoft is playing the long game like they always do. They don't build in features like blinking your eyes to change web pages, swiping your hand to move a web page and other gimmicky garbage Sammy did and for what? Showmanship. Nothing more. I know a few with those phones at work and I have never seen anyone use them. In the airports, waiting rooms, wherever I spot these Sammy devices, I have seen NO ONE using them. Its fluff.

Personally 8.1 update is a game changer. Cortana is off to a good start and will only get better as development fleshes out over time. Notification is also something I wanted in this OS. We got it Those core features are what people use. Facebook app written by Facebook is pure folly. Facebook can build or it can be built by another dev. Either way, you get a platform that can run a Facebook app. You should spend time in this ecosystem and not those others. I'll feel so much more complete that what you think about that greener grass you think you see.

FYI, this list doesn't contain what I wish to see in Windows Phone, my list for I wish to see is far, far larger than the one I wrote. What my list really was is just stating what was promised to come with WP8.1 and didn't make it. Some of them were already in the SDK even but got removed in the final version!

Frustration with this update for me was a two way thing:
1- Things that was leaked and promised to come with this update, and didn't make it.
2- Things that I wanted in this update, regardless of them known to be coming or not.

SO, my list was about the first thing. Not exactly everything I want in the update.

You know, when you are late to the part, and your OS is far back at no.3, an update shouldn't be about having only what others have, for Microsoft to succeed they need to have what others don't. This is not the case til now. I wanna see Microsoft succeed, I know they can do more, enough with catching up with the competition, it's time for us to lead.

You can say all you want about costumers not realizing that it can do this, or that, and believe me, I never ask for what's gimmicky and what doesn't work, I want things that matter, that a lot of users that use a mobile phone currently don't even realize they need them. 20 years ago no one knew they needed a smart phone, but now it's something that no one can live without. This is what I am talking about, maybe I'll start a thread about all the things I want to see in the next Windows Phone update, but I wouldn't know cause lots of people will attack me as we haven't got a hand on this update yet.

Anyways, I am glad that you are satisfied with what you have now, I think you shouldn't look for any update at that matter, if you're that satisfied and don't need anything else than what this offers, then maybe the wheel of development should stop now and have a rest.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Frustration with this update for me was a two way thing:
1- Things that was leaked and promised to come with this update, and didn't make it.
2- Things that I wanted in this update, regardless of them known to be coming or not.

You first point has contradiction. Things that were "leaked" (not by Microsoft) and "promised" (not by Microsoft) to come with this update and didn't make it. Of course it won't make it because Microsoft never showed you the leaks nor promised you anything ever about this update. This is going on the same track as Mango, Tango and WP8 updates. People assume that whatever they see on the internet is what Microsoft promises to bring! Microsoft still hasn't unwrapped any consumer features as far as I am concerned. Last time WP8 had two events, one for developers, one for consumers. The suggestions on uservoice were marked as completed when feature was in the OS, this time its different. Uservoice has still all those suggestions open. So either Microsoft is too busy with Windows 8.1 update 1 for this Tuesday or Microsoft is trying to debate on last minute consumer delights that may or may not go with developer preview.

However, your second point makes sense. Everyone wanted something in the update and trust me, most of them have got it. With this update all I wanted was timely announcements and instant release like Apple, but that didn't happen. Nothing would have excited me more than Microsoft come back real quick with launches, not even Cortana. But this is VERY subjective as you know.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft is playing the long game like they always do. They don't build in features like blinking your eyes to change web pages, swiping your hand to move a web page and other gimmicky garbage Sammy did and for what? Showmanship. Nothing more. I know a few with those phones at work and I have never seen anyone use them. In the airports, waiting rooms, wherever I spot these Sammy devices, I have seen NO ONE using them. Its fluff.

Personally 8.1 update is a game changer. Cortana is off to a good start and will only get better as development fleshes out over time. Notification is also something I wanted in this OS. We got it Those core features are what people use. Facebook app written by Facebook is pure folly. Facebook can build or it can be built by another dev. Either way, you get a platform that can run a Facebook app. You should spend time in this ecosystem and not those others. I'll feel so much more complete that what you think about that greener grass you think you see.

Cool story, bro.

Please note however, that the very same 'showmanship' you speak of has taken Samsung to a position of absolute supremacy in the smartphone market (excluding the USA). You may have never seen anyone using Samsung's features but that doesn't mean nobody does, unless you are God. I have, for example, seen many doctors who purchased these devices specifically for the ability to answer calls without touching the screen, because their hands must remain sterile at certain times.

With all these hominies about "stay in your lane" and 'be satisfied with what you have'... God, how can you come to a technology site (see, I can use bold too!) and spout all this. Tech is always about evolving, changing, pushing out new things. If everyone were like you, Mankind wouldn't have progressed beyond the discovery of fire.

edit: also, Candy Crush is not yet on WP so by your thesis it isn't fit for the average smartphone buyer.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes I know. Nice to see it saves the video at the proper location. If they had left this out again I would have personally hit Joe belfiore on the head with my phone. I also hope that Xbox video app is available to India

No way we Indians will not get those services unless ms venture into such services in India.I think only Google will care for rest of the world because they need customers in their ecosystem.more consumers=more information=more money.on other hand Ms don't care for country like India.once if android becomes very cheap nd to some extent smooth it will cannibalize Windows phone which is very remote to happen.Windows phone is the only phone which give you a flagship experience with low cost phones with the help of designing a smooth os.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
You first point has contradiction. Things that were "leaked" (not by Microsoft) and "promised" (not by Microsoft) to come with this update and didn't make it. Of course it won't make it because Microsoft never showed you the leaks nor promised you anything ever about this update. This is going on the same track as Mango, Tango and WP8 updates. People assume that whatever they see on the internet is what Microsoft promises to bring! Microsoft still hasn't unwrapped any consumer features as far as I am concerned. Last time WP8 had two events, one for developers, one for consumers. The suggestions on uservoice were marked as completed when feature was in the OS, this time its different. Uservoice has still all those suggestions open. So either Microsoft is too busy with Windows 8.1 update 1 for this Tuesday or Microsoft is trying to debate on last minute consumer delights that may or may not go with developer preview.

However, your second point makes sense. Everyone wanted something in the update and trust me, most of them have got it. With this update all I wanted was timely announcements and instant release like Apple, but that didn't happen. Nothing would have excited me more than Microsoft come back real quick with launches, not even Cortana. But this is VERY subjective as you know.

Well, I know Microsoft never promised anything, and I quiet understand how leaks goes, but that still doesn't mean that you won't get frustrated if some of the things that were found in the SDK earlier (it's leaks, not rumors) didn't make it to the final product.

If you read the interview that was made with a senior Microsoft Developer on Reddit, he mentioned this thing, that one of the things that is holding Microsoft's progress is some short-sighted managers that could scrap out much work done with a blink of an eye. Here is his quote:
"[?]samcode7
I have to apologize for my ignorance first. I?m not a software engineer. But why does it take so long (1.5 years) for 8.1 to come to fruition.
BAADFOOD
reorgs and bad management. As a Principal SDE ( I write code, have managed, know the ins and outs) it?s purely bad management and too much of an Ego"

also: "we can do the code. we are all the pick of the litter. It?s a matter of resources. not engineering.. engineering here is the best of the best (yes I?m cocky) it?s about the way Microsoft works and that every major feature gets tested by a second pair of (sadly uneducated) eyes."

It's like when they even have shown Data Sense, but then it was no where to found in the WP8 update. This is what's frustrating.

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone in this thread actually used a final version of windows phone 8.1 on a phone?
Why don't we wait until we actually use it before writing it off as a failure?

I for one am looking forward to using it day to day and using all the little things that haven't even made it into the youtube videos of big features. All the little improvements I will probably use 20 times a day. Not to mention all the huge improvements under the hood that we won't even see but that WP really needs. Things like Cortana I will probably hardly ever use.

The point is I don't think anyone can judge how good this update is until we have it on our phones and are using it every day.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone in this thread actually used a final version of windows phone 8.1 on a phone?
Why don't we wait until we actually use it before writing it off as a failure?

I for one am looking forward to using it day to day and using all the little things that haven't even made it into the youtube videos of big features. All the little improvements I will probably use 20 times a day. Not to mention all the huge improvements under the hood that we won't even see but that WP really needs. Things like Cortana I will probably hardly ever use.

The point is I don't think anyone can judge how good this update is until we have it on our phones and are using it every day.

good point there. Better to wait and see for our selves than presuming here on the leaks and the emulators

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6