Windows Phone 8.1 "more free" than Android ?

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I had a chance to read trough the news coming from BUILD today and I am finding a few interesting bits, but this one in particular caught on my irony radar.

Microsoft is making Windows (RT - x86) and Windows Phone free to OEMs. On the tablet side the device has to have a screen under 9 inches, but there are no limitations on the phone side, which is really interesting. First, it means that non of the WP OEMs will start crying once Microsoft purchases Nokia because they are getting charged for WP licenses.. they all get the OS free of charge.

More importantly, in a way Windows Phone becomes cheaper to use than Android. Most OEMs (sony, Sammy, lg, Lenovo, etc.) have to pay royalty fees to Microsoft (for various patents) for every Android device they sell, which brings up the cost from free to $5-10 per device.

WP (and windows for that matter) will be in fact free since the OEMs won't have to pay royalty fees to anyone for using the OS..

Now of course one could argue that the OEMs make enough money from android to where it doesn't matter that they are paying MS.. but still..

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yup - was having this conversation with a friend yesterday. It just became more enticing to build a Windows Phone. :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire