Windows Phone major updates to have 6-8 months cycle now.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
thank goodness that'll finally happen. WP had been going on at its own retarded snails pace for too long when all the other windows products kind of all get updated at the same time.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
The employee sounds really excited for Windows Phone 8.2(Windows Phone 9?) I hope it comes to current generation devices like the 1520.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Given how fast Android innovates, will 6-8 months be enough? We may potentially be needing major updates hourly to get ahead (deliberately exaggerated to stress the point). Still, in all seriousness, I aren't convinced 6-8 month major update cycles will be enough.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Android innovates? What?
Also, documentation on SDK showed WP8.5 to be next major version, not 8.2 or 9. So I don't trust this source.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Well if it is true, that would be pretty amazing! Reddit says they were able to verify he was a MS employee but not sure how they went about that.. will have to wait and see I guess.. But 6-8 months would be nice.. I am ok with having bug fixes / new features every 6 months instead of a massive drop every year and a half.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Well if it is true, that would be pretty amazing! Reddit says they were able to verify he was a MS employee but not sure how they went about that.. will have to wait and see I guess.. But 6-8 months would be nice.. I am ok with having bug fixes / new features every 6 months instead of a massive drop every year and a half.
He said in the thread he had his employee ID scanned so he could send moderators a picture if need be.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Given how fast Android innovates, will 6-8 months be enough? We may potentially be needing major updates hourly to get ahead (deliberately exaggerated to stress the point). Still, in all seriousness, I aren't convinced 6-8 month major update cycles will be enough.
What Android "Innovation" are you talking about? The only thing Android has really done lately with JB, and KK was smooth-en out the platform as a whole. Those updates also don't come that fast either, not to mention not everybody is getting them and in fact some phones are still waiting for Kitkat.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
What Android "Innovation" are you talking about? The only thing Android has really done lately with JB, and KK was smooth-en out the platform as a whole. Those updates also don't come that fast either, not to mention not everybody is getting them and in fact some phones are still waiting for Kitkat.

exactly, if your on at@t you will wait damn near a year to get an update. I had jelly bean on my note1 a good 10 months before the OTA. Google hasn't done crap with the software besides bug fixes and small crap for 2 years now. Also don't forget its not Google that brings you all those features that the LG's and sammys have its the software they add to googles. Pure ASOP is very basic, yes you can build a kernel or flash one to get things like tap to wake and things like that on AOSP but all that is done by 3rd party devs not Google.

Just like apple peaked 2 years ago android has done the same and dev is all but at a standstill for both. WP can be compared to the early days of IOS so stick with it, WP as a lot more to come.

But wait apple gets small updates all the time, yes they do, exploit patches is all they are.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
exactly, if your on at@t you will wait damn near a year to get an update. I had jelly bean on my note1 a good 10 months before the OTA. Google hasn't done crap with the software besides bug fixes and small crap for 2 years now. Also don't forget its not Google that brings you all those features that the LG's and sammys have its the software they add to googles. Pure ASOP is very basic, yes you can build a kernel or flash one to get things like tap to wake and things like that on AOSP but all that is done by 3rd party devs not Google.

Just like apple peaked 2 years ago android has done the same and dev is all but at a standstill for both. WP can be compared to the early days of IOS so stick with it, WP as a lot more to come.

But wait apple gets small updates all the time, yes they do, exploit patches is all they are.
Yeah those updates play a big reason why I'm questioning going back to Android. I'm not the kind of guy who wants to go through the trouble "Flashing" or "Rooting" my phone and I don't want to be searching for all kinds of "Roms" just to get it running well. I originally bought a Galaxy S2 on AT&T, and while the phone was beautiful and worked great for awhile, after nearly a year of owning it AT&T/Samsung released an update that completely broke the phone. Battery life crashed, the phone itself started getting very laggy/crashing and it was a terrible experience. What was worse was I didn't then have the experience to fix it so there was nothing I could do except wait, and it took FOREVER before they released a more stable update.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Oh trust me I know, the HTC one 4.4 update killed mms across the board, only fix is root it. And its sad to have to root to get updates but i dont mind flashing, I still have my android phones to mess around with, more modding than using lol, and its funny with my G2 running Faux kernel and a lot of lmk and build prop tweaking my 1520 still crushes it. I love this thing, best phone money can buy today. The next windows phone with a 64 bit snapdragon will be insane.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think the layperson has no idea how long it takes to develop quality software. They think you can churn out giant updates every 6 months? Think again.

bleargh

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I'll believe it when I see it. Just honest skepticism based on past performance. I love WP8, but sometimes I feel they're not sure where they're going.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett