What phones will be getting the 8.1 update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
no don't give me that "that's apple" bull Google Nexus sold direct from Google is not "banned" or "not stocked" and Google releases updates directly on their own schedule. They also sell them direct in small numbers relative to Samsung Galaxy. If Microsoft sold a 930 direct to consumers it would sell in similar numbers.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
no don't give me that "that's apple" bull Google Nexus sold direct from Google is not "banned" or "not stocked" and Google releases updates directly on their own schedule. They also sell them direct in small numbers relative to Samsung Galaxy. If Microsoft sold a 930 direct to consumers it would sell in similar numbers.

Carriers have the power to block devices from their network. And it's Microsoft, the company trying to get a foot in the door, at least in the US market. I can bet that given how little support the carriers give their own WP devices that they would actively block WP devices if Microsoft went down that route.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I hope my 1520 will get a different optimized phablet ui with the update

It won't, that much is certain. It will get the same UI as all other Windows Phones and that's the beauty of it, you can switch from one manufacturers devices to another and still get the same experience.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Carriers have the power to block devices from their network. And it's Microsoft, the company trying to get a foot in the door, at least in the US market. I can bet that given how little support the carriers give their own WP devices that they would actively block WP devices if Microsoft went down that route.

no they do not. stop spreading bull. any phone that properly complies with the GSM standard is allowed to operate on any compatible network. An IMEI is only blocked if it has been reported stolen. There are thousands, if not millions of unbranded phones roaming on foreign networks as we speak. No one is blocking them....BECAUSE IT MAKES THEM MONEY from network use.

CDMA sides have more control because every phone must have an ESN registered with the network and Verizon has to assign blocks of ESNs to manufacturers (a draconian system that is going the way of the dodo BTW) This is also why the US Gov forced Verizon to leave the GSM sides of all their phones unlocked, for network interoperability purposes.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

+1.

It is plain as day on MSFT's OWN website, on the page that says "6 reasons to switch to WP". Go to the bottom and you will see in the fine print:

"All WP8 models support WP8.1; availability based on carrier".

The only person who has clout over the carriers is Apple. Google doesn't because the Android OEMs negotiate directly with the carriers. The relationship between MSFT at the carriers is lukewarm at best. Look at how ELOP had to cover everyone's *** when that reporter talked about how ****ty AT&T is as a partner during the 1020 launch. That should tell you all you need to know.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
""All WP8 models support WP8.1; availability based on carrier".

You can't weasel out with fine print statements like that when you are LOUDLY and PUBLICLY saying "ALL WP8 devices will get 8.1" Both Elop and Nokia blog says it. They have painted themselves into a corner and better get with T-Mo to get that 810 tested and upgraded.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

You can't weasel out with fine print statements like that when you are LOUDLY and PUBLICLY saying "ALL WP8 devices will get 8.1" Both Elop and Nokia blog says it. They have painted themselves into a corner and better get with T-Mo to get that 810 tested and upgraded.

Um, this happens all the time. It's called BUSINESS ADVERTISING.

I'm all for them updating both the 810 AND t-mo's 8X variant. At least when t-mo EOL'ed the 810, they let everyone know. They threw their 8X users in the back part of the basement and left them high and dry. I blame MSFT for going the carrier OTA solely route. I blame t-mo for pricing those phones competitively as to why they didn't sell. Bottom line is MSFT has NO PULL with the carriers. That's why my last carrier phone was the 810. Never again, unless I end up on Verizon. Can't trust none of them.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

Not false advertising, ALL WP8 devices can get WP8.1 with or without carriers. Ever hear of the Windows Phone Developer Preview?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
no they do not. stop spreading bull. any phone that properly complies with the GSM standard is allowed to operate on any compatible network. An IMEI is only blocked if it has been reported stolen. There are thousands, if not millions of unbranded phones roaming on foreign networks as we speak. No one is blocking them....BECAUSE IT MAKES THEM MONEY from network use.

CDMA sides have more control because every phone must have an ESN registered with the network and Verizon has to assign blocks of ESNs to manufacturers (a draconian system that is going the way of the dodo BTW) This is also why the US Gov forced Verizon to leave the GSM sides of all their phones unlocked, for network interoperability purposes.

So you just proved my point that carriers DO have the power to block phones. Albeit it is only used currently if they are registered stolen, it is still possible to block them. Anyways I aren't arguing this anymore. As a retired moderator I need to know when to back out from an argument before we run the risk of moving into personal attacks and this is the right time.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, as was stated before, OEMs negotiate with carriers directly. Do you think Google sits down with Boost? HTC should be at the table with T-Mo and not MS. Apple is their own OEM, so.... They do what they do. MS is about to be their own OEM, and Lumia will have a more iOS, Nexus feel in regards to updates. MS should, nay SHOULD do their damndest to establish a strict OTA policy amongst all, what ,13 current WP OEM partners.

But please consider, it's the OEMs and carriers themselves that have allowed this issue to gestate in the first place. I see a "You know what is what, we just don't give a f$*k, we just strut!" attitude would need to be portrayed to enable this type of operational integration, which is being done now with the Dev Preview program!!

With Windows and PCs, it was always "Here are the updates, come get 'em" philosophy. Still is!! No 3rd party approval. Oh wait, Dev Preview. Again!!

I see that, here in the near future, policy will be changed dramatically and 'direct to consumers' will become something of a dogma.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Google doesn't sit down at the table with carriers, BECAUSE THEY SELL THE NEXUS 5 DIRECT TO YOU. And guess what? ATT DOESN'T BLOCK IT.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
So you just proved my point that carriers DO have the power to block phones. Albeit it is only used currently if they are registered stolen, it is still possible to block them. Anyways I aren't arguing this anymore. As a retired moderator I need to know when to back out from an argument before we run the risk of moving into personal attacks and this is the right time.

I proved that carriers block them when it IS A COURSE OF LAW, not business. And even then stolen IMEI blocking is inconsistent across carriers. Most stolen phones can be taken overseas far away from their home networks and used to the end of their practical life.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I proved that carriers block them when it IS A COURSE OF LAW, not business. And even then stolen IMEI blocking is inconsistent across carriers. Most stolen phones can be taken overseas far away from their home networks and used to the end of their practical life.

But you still proved that carriers can and do block them. Maybe not for the reasons I stated earlier in the thread, but it's clear that they can.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Every business has fine print like this when it advertises. I'm not sure what line of work inteller is in, but businesses have always done this. If consumers really cared, people would boycott t-mo for a week until the 8X and 810 users get the updates. Or all the other WP8 users would sign a petition or show some force. But, because no one will do that, consumers who buy the wrong device or service are at the seller's mercy. I'm sure MSFT, HTC and Nokia would like to update both phones, but t-mo contracted them to make those devices. HTC and Nokia dare not jeopardize current and future business deals by breaking contract and releasing this update for a few hundred (or whatever the low number is) of users. At least more people bought the 822 on VZW, so when VZW tried that no update garbage, people revolted and VZW pushed through the update. But that was on the #2 carrier in terms of size and subscribers. T-mo is growing its base and will chuck WP8 users aside for the iPhone and Android crowd. You saw how t-mo was bullying Blackberry.

THERE ARE NO REAL CONSEQUENCES COMING. There weren't any when MSFT went from WM 6.5 to WP7 and when they went from WP7 to WP8. People got left behind and nobody cared. That's the current structure we live in. Either you bend the rules to your advantage by buying unlocked phones and cutting the carriers out, or you buy a popular model. Or you take your business elsewhere.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
But you still proved that carriers can and do block them. Maybe not for the reasons I stated earlier in the thread, but it's clear that they can.

Agreed. Tethering or internet sharing is a great example of this. Everyone and their grandmother now knows that with the newer unlocked models, if tethering isn't in your package the carrier will block it. I have to curse t-mo out because I get that upgrade message when I use my unlocked 925. I don't get that anymore with either my Z Ultra or my 8X, which are both unlocked as well. And for the record, I HAVE tethering already on my plan.

The carriers know what phones are on their network. It is within their right to BLOCK SERVICES ON A CONSUMER'S ACCOUNT THAT THEY ARE NOT PAYING FOR. IT'S CALLED STEALING, WHICH IS ILLEGAL last time I checked.

Last edited:

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
So....you getting all mad, typing in caps, about how Microsoft is "lying" and twisting their words, but you do the same about carrier blocking? Heelarryus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99