What phones will be getting the 8.1 update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Carriers can't and DON'T block IMEIs as a business practice, because that would be anti-competitive and in some jurisdictions against the law. Love how all the ******** pile in here when they think they have a point.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. Tethering or internet sharing is a great example of this. Everyone and their grandmother now knows that with the newer unlocked models, if tethering isn't in your package the carrier will block it. I have to curse t-mo out because I get that upgrade message when I use my unlocked 925. I don't get that anymore with either my Z Ultra or my 8X, which are both unlocked as well.

The carriers know what phones are on their network. It is within their right to BLOCK SERVICES ON A CONSUMER'S ACCOUNT THAT THEY ARE NOT PAYING FOR. IT'S CALLED STEALING, WHICH IS ILLEGAL last time I checked.
there is a very simple solution for that that is well documented on the 920 forums.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. Tethering or internet sharing is a great example of this. Everyone and their grandmother now knows that with the newer unlocked models, if tethering isn't in your package the carrier will block it. I have to curse t-mo out because I get that upgrade message when I use my unlocked 925. I don't get that anymore with either my Z Ultra or my 8X, which are both unlocked as well. And for the record, I HAVE tethering already on my plan.

The carriers know what phones are on their network. It is within their right to BLOCK SERVICES ON A CONSUMER'S ACCOUNT THAT THEY ARE NOT PAYING FOR. IT'S CALLED STEALING, WHICH IS ILLEGAL last time I checked.

I have a 920 on T-Mobile with working tethering due to information on these forums. You can do the same if you download the Spain keyboard and get rid of Access Point by changing the year to 2114 and try to open it up. :)

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
there is a very simple solution for that that is well documented on the 920 forums.

Dude, I HAVE tethering on my plan. I shouldn't have to do anything but turn the feature on and use it on my 925 and use it. Nothing more. That's what I do on my 8X and my Z Ultra it works just fine. That's my point. I'm not trying to steal it from t-mo, so I should be able to use it no matter what device I have because I'm ALREADY paying for it.

The reason the carriers are asses like that is because we have too many cheap mother****ers who go "because I pay my phone bill I should clog up the network in a dishonest way and hog data like that". That's why the carrier can block services in specific cases based on the status if the account holder.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a 920 on T-Mobile with working tethering due to information on these forums. You can do the same if you download the Spain keyboard and get rid of Access Point by changing the year to 2114 and try to open it up. :)

Thanks for the offer. I may look into. My 925 is factory unlocked Malay variant. My 920 beforehand was an unlocked Polish variant, my 8X is British unlocked, and my Z Ultra is Asian unlocked. I shouldn't have to do all that if I have the service active already.

But my point is still the same. T-mo has the ability even on an unlocked phone to DETECT whether I have a specific service active or not based on what is set up on my account with them. That's the same with pretty much all the carriers - once you activate the phone on their network, they know what you have. They have every right to block you as a user if you're stealing services. And they do...only of the most common ways is called cutting your phone service off for non payment.

Sometimes the internet produces some arm chair CEOs and FCC officials who lack the common sense to use before they post on a public forum.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the offer. I may look into. My 925 is factory unlocked Malay variant. My 920 beforehand was an unlocked Polish variant, my 8X is British unlocked, and my Z Ultra is Asian unlocked. I shouldn't have to do all that if I have the service active already.

But my point is still the same. T-mo has the ability even on an unlocked phone to DETECT whether I have a specific service active or not based on what is set up on my account with them. That's the same with pretty much all the carriers - once you activate the phone on their network, they know what you have. They have every right to block you as a user if you're stealing services. And they do...only of the most common ways is called cutting your phone service off for non payment.

Sometimes the internet produces some arm chair CEOs and FCC officials who lack the common sense to use before they post on a public forum.

Sadly, I don't know how it all works on the back end, I just know how to get a feature that I pay for working. :/

Sometimes, it could be a lot more complicated then we think it is.

Riley2521

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Here is a random question, speaking of upgrades...what is the phone repeatedly pictured in WPCentral articles that has the yellow Qi charging sled on it? Is it a 925?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Sadly, I don't know how it all works on the back end, I just know how to get a feature that I pay for working. :/

Sometimes, it could be a lot more complicated then we think it is.

It probably is very complicated. These carriers spends millions of dollars of inventory and infrastructure. It would be foolish to think that they don't have the ability to know how their customers are accessing their network.

So in summary: carriers have the ability to block access to their network. Carriers have the ability to know how a customer is accessing their network. Carriers by law cannot get up an block a consumer on a whim to access their network. Carriers are allowed to block access to service legally under certain specific situations. Just because an OEM or an OS marker acting as an OEM sells a no carrier branded, factory unlocked device does not mean that if the consumer violates the terms and conditions stipulated by a carrier for using their network that the carrier doesn't have the ability to restrict services.

sashlon

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes I wonder if people read the site at all....

All WP8 devices are upgradeable to 8.1. It's been stated numerous times.

If your carrier plays games with your update, the Developer Preview is a free, easy way to get OS updates and its available to everyone. This has also been reported many times in many places.

There's really no problem here, and certainly no need for people to whine.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Taking the conversation away from the guy that seems about to blow an aneurysm I do wish that Microsoft would create a carrier independent phone, like the Nexus. I would buy that in a heartbeat!

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes I wonder if people read the site at all....

All WP8 devices are upgradeable to 8.1. It's been stated numerous times.

If your carrier plays games with your update, the Developer Preview is a free, easy way to get OS updates and its available to everyone. This has also been reported many times in many places.

There's really no problem here, and certainly no need for people to whine.

Some people like to see their own font

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I used to think so, but the Developer Preview basically makes any Windows phone the equivalent of a Nexus.

Thank you! Please, name an Android alternative that creates an EASY option for customers, if they choose to, to upgrade to the latest software of the moment, for EVERY device, and it WORKS without having to try something different on this device compared to THAT device.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
""All WP8 models support WP8.1; availability based on carrier".

You can't weasel out with fine print statements like that when you are LOUDLY and PUBLICLY saying "ALL WP8 devices will get 8.1" Both Elop and Nokia blog says it. They have painted themselves into a corner and better get with T-Mo to get that 810 tested and upgraded.

And if they had their way: all Windows Phone 8 devices would get it. Seriously, why would Microsoft and Nokia develop software updates that take time, money and effort to build, and bring happiness, joy and renewed loyalty to their customers: then not push it out if they had a say it?

That's the problem: Microsoft and Nokia don't get a say in it. They're at the mercy of carriers. If they try and protest, the carrier simply stops advertising Windows Phone devices, and then refuses to stock or carry them.

Granted, Windows Phone 8.1 is a major, major, MAJOR update. And of course, Nokia Cyan will be a welcome update also, and Nokia is soon to be absorbed by Microsoft. As such, I'm sure Microsoft will aggressively try to negotiate with carriers to approve and push out the updates by then end of 2014 at the latest (not ideal, I know, but best of a bad situation). But that's all Microsoft can try to do: negotiate. If carriers refuse to push the update, then users are forced to the Developer Preview program.

As for OEM and device specific firmware? Well, either stay behind, or flash your device with another carriers ROM. But of course, the latter results in the loss of all data on the device, and could lead to problems when your device tries to communicate with your carrier's network.

This is a complex issue, with no simple explanation, easy answers, or fast workarounds. The fact of the matter is: Windows Phone 8.1 WILL come to all Windows Phone 8 devices ideally, but carriers can be a real pain in the ***.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
And if they had their way: all Windows Phone 8 devices would get it. Seriously, why would Microsoft and Nokia develop software updates that take time, money and effort to build, and bring happiness, joy and renewed loyalty to their customers: then not push it out if they had a say it?

That's the problem: Microsoft and Nokia don't get a say in it. They're at the mercy of carriers. If they try and protest, the carrier simply stops advertising Windows Phone devices, and then refuses to stock or carry them.

Granted, Windows Phone 8.1 is a major, major, MAJOR update. And of course, Nokia Cyan will be a welcome update also, and Nokia is soon to be absorbed by Microsoft. As such, I'm sure Microsoft will aggressively try to negotiate with carriers to approve and push out the updates by then end of 2014 at the latest (not ideal, I know, but best of a bad situation). But that's all Microsoft can try to do: negotiate. If carriers refuse to push the update, then users are forced to the Developer Preview program.

As for OEM and device specific firmware? Well, either stay behind, or flash your device with another carriers ROM. But of course, the latter results in the loss of all data on the device, and could lead to problems when your device tries to communicate with your carrier's network.

This is a complex issue, with no simple explanation, easy answers, or fast workarounds. The fact of the matter is: Windows Phone 8.1 WILL come to all Windows Phone 8 devices ideally, but carriers can be a real pain in the ***.

Then why does Google and their OEMs get away with it yearly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos