What phones will be getting the 8.1 update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Thank you! Please, name an Android alternative that creates an EASY option for customers, if they choose to, to upgrade to the latest software of the moment, for EVERY device, and it WORKS without having to try something different on this device compared to THAT device.

CyanogenMod or any other custom ROM. Not rocket science, pretty easy to do.

sashlon

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Nope.

Rooting/custom roms are not easy to do for the average user and it voids a warranty and if you screw up your phone is wrecked. The Developer Preview is just a process of signing up and downloading an app and it works on every WP8 device, and no warranty issues.

wpnokia920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

most of those builds are only stable for handful of devices. Others are nightlys, rc''s. And require root, flashing recovery's etc. This is download an app check enroll and your done. And this is actual mfg release, not a hacking team.

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
most of those builds are only stable for handful of devices. Others are nightlys, rc''s. And require root, flashing recovery's etc. This is download an app check enroll and your done. And this is actual mfg release, not a hacking team.

I'm sure more people know about root+flashing than setting up this dev account and using the app.

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Nope.

Rooting/custom roms are not easy to do for the average user and it voids a warranty and if you screw up your phone is wrecked. The Developer Preview is just a process of signing up and downloading an app and it works on every WP8 device, and no warranty issues.

Other than people on here, how many people know how to/about signing up and downloading this app? Plus it's nothing to flash your phone back to stock thus restoring your warranty.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Every Lumia device will be eligible to get it, HOWEVER it is up to carriers to decide whether or not you will get it. If the carrier believes that it will sell new Lumias instead of giving you an update, they will not push the update.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Other than people on here, how many people know how to/about signing up and downloading this app? Plus it's nothing to flash your phone back to stock thus restoring your warranty.

So why are you dancing around my point? No one is discussing how promoted this method is, but that in comparison to rooting on android, this is EASY, like one installation and check for update easy. Ive rooted on android before and it is not done in two steps for every device

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
So why are you dancing around my point? No one is discussing how promoted this method is, but that in comparison to rooting on android, this is EASY, like one installation and check for update easy. Ive rooted on android before and it is not done in two steps for every device

Hey, you asked a question and I gave you an answer and very valid point. Why you even bring up Android if you don't want to hear this?

sashlon

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Hey, you asked a question and I gave you an answer and very valid point. Why you even bring up Android if you don't want to hear this?

You brought Android up.

Rooting and romming is fine for phone nerds. I used to do it when I had an Android. But it is not accessible to the vast majority of users because it is a) beyond their capabilities and b) it voids warranties, and if you mess up, you've bricked your device.

The Developer Preview is free and totally risk free and officially sanctioned.

There is no comparison.

Android users need to root and rom because Android OEMs are so bad at giving timely updates. Almost nothing outside of Nexus devices is ever filly up to date.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

Maybe easy for you but average people are not going to root and flash their phones. Rooting process on Android most of the time is different from phone to phone. OS updates from Developer Preview is basically going through the same steps for all WP8 phones. It will be even easier on the next OS update after that, you'll just accept and install. Fortunately there updates don't wipe your phone unlike some Android roms.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Every business has fine print like this when it advertises. I'm not sure what line of work inteller is in, but businesses have always done this. If consumers really cared, people would boycott t-mo for a week until the 8X and 810 users get the updates. Or all the other WP8 users would sign a petition or show some force. But, because no one will do that, consumers who buy the wrong device or service are at the seller's mercy. I'm sure MSFT, HTC and Nokia would like to update both phones, but t-mo contracted them to make those devices. HTC and Nokia dare not jeopardize current and future business deals by breaking contract and releasing this update for a few hundred (or whatever the low number is) of users. At least more people bought the 822 on VZW, so when VZW tried that no update garbage, people revolted and VZW pushed through the update. But that was on the #2 carrier in terms of size and subscribers. T-mo is growing its base and will chuck WP8 users aside for the iPhone and Android crowd. You saw how t-mo was bullying Blackberry.

THERE ARE NO REAL CONSEQUENCES COMING. There weren't any when MSFT went from WM 6.5 to WP7 and when they went from WP7 to WP8. People got left behind and nobody cared. That's the current structure we live in. Either you bend the rules to your advantage by buying unlocked phones and cutting the carriers out, or you buy a popular model. Or you take your business elsewhere.

True Dat!!!!

George Jenkinson

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
SOMETIMES I WONDER IF PEOPLE READ THE SITE AT ALL...
Windows Phone 8.1 update: everything you need to know - Nokia Conversations

" It looks stunning and it’s coming to all Lumia smartphones running Windows Phone 8."

I realise I'm joining this a little late and as I'm in the UK, my experience may be different. It seems to me there is an argument brewing based on semantics.

Nokia say 8.1 is coming to all WP 8 phones - does this not also mean that (after a date to be decided) all phones that Nokia send to carriers will come pre-loaded with 8.1 as a matter of course?

In regard to misleading info by Nokia - it isn't and it isn't Nokia who is misleading customers. When I listen to the radio and hear Ford announce a new car that they are releasing, if my local car showroom doesn't stock it, that not Ford's fault. If I want that car, I have to find a way to buy it. Surely the responsibility to get hold of it falls to me? It's the same surely, with the update - Nokia have made it available to every WP8 phone, but if the carriers decide they don't want to test it and push it on to their customers, it isn't Nokia's fault - Nokia haven't decided that only certain Lumias will get it and others won't. If this is where you anger stems from, you should direct the tirade against the carriers surely, as they are the ones that aren't pushing the update through their system?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Well this thread has had some good carrier discussion and has now gone off topic. End of life, if you will. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99