04-08-2014 07:26 AM
77 123 ...
tools
    Just wondering what phones in the Nokia range will be getting the new Windows Phone 8.1 update - I currently have a Nokia Lumia 920 and was wondering if this phone will be eligible for the new software update when it becomes available. Thanks everyone for any advice on this.
    Gautham V kunnath likes this.
    04-06-2014 12:14 PM
    Every Windows Phone 8-device will get the update. That includes your 920!
    04-06-2014 12:16 PM
    Just wondering what phones in the Nokia range will be getting the new Windows Phone 8.1 update - I currently have a Nokia Lumia 920 and was wondering if this phone will be eligible for the new software update when it becomes available. Thanks everyone for any advice on this.
    All of them :) if you're in the US you get them asap.. depending on carrier i think.. outside of US will have to wait a bit longer
    04-06-2014 12:16 PM
    All windows phone 8 will get the update , including your lumia 920.
    04-06-2014 12:17 PM
    I'll believe that all of them will get the update when the Lumia 810 gets it. We'll see.
    04-06-2014 12:23 PM
    520 and i'm waiting
    Ashish Kakade05 likes this.
    04-06-2014 12:35 PM
    Every Windows Phone 8 device is capable, but that doesn't mean that they'll all get it. It is still up to carriers. The 810, for instance, on TMO, has had little support so I'd guess that TMO won't be pushing 8.1 to the 810. Owners of phones that the carriers don't support could still use the Preview for Developers app to get the OS update, though that won't get them any firmware or software updates from carriers or OEMs.
    04-06-2014 02:39 PM
    well your statements are really no better than Microkia's then. First state that WP8.1 is coming to all phones, then when someone calls out about the 810, retort with the fine print.

Either they are or they aren't. No more of this bull about "well we will provide it for all phones, but the carrier has to implement it "
    04-06-2014 02:42 PM
    well your statements are really no better than Microkia's then. First state that WP8.1 is coming to all phones, then when someone calls out about the 810, retort with the fine print.

Either they are or they aren't. No more of this bull about "well we will provide it for all phones, but the carrier has to implement it "
    My comment isn't a retort with fine print. It's truth, intended to combat misinformation (it was stated above that it will go to all of the phones - simply not true), whether you like it or not.
    04-06-2014 03:04 PM

What the hell do you expect? That we would have more information than Microsoft? It's the same thing as it has been. All phones can get, and should get 8.1. But as always, the carriers have the final say. No one knows what the carriers will do at this point.

Microsoft has made the update available outside the carriers through the "developer preview." Which really is nothing different, it just bypasses the carrier and firmware.
    04-06-2014 03:29 PM

If you have a problem with it, take it up with the carriers. It really is that simple. Literally, the carrier gets the final say in the matter, not us. I want to see it come to all phones myself, but we both know that probably won't happen. It's why I'm glad my Nokia is factory unlocked.
    04-06-2014 03:32 PM
    My Nokia is factory unlocked also - Least the update will be available just a matter of waiting
    Daniel Ratcliffe likes this.
    04-07-2014 05:35 AM
    All of them :) if you're in the US you get them asap.. depending on carrier i think.. outside of US will have to wait a bit longer
    That doesn't exactly follow, US carriers tend to be slower to roll out updates than the rest of the world but what do I know seeing as I'm from the UK!!!
    04-07-2014 05:54 AM
    If you have a problem with it, take it up with the carriers. It really is that simple. Literally, the carrier gets the final say in the matter, not us. I want to see it come to all phones myself, but we both know that probably won't happen. It's why I'm glad my Nokia is factory unlocked.
    Your Nokia is UNBRANDED AND UNLOCKED. Having an unlocked phone doesn't mean anything if it is still branded to a carrier.
    04-07-2014 07:59 AM
    Your Nokia is UNBRANDED AND UNLOCKED. Having an unlocked phone doesn't mean anything if it is still branded to a carrier.
    Yeah, of which I'm thankful of that. But my point still stands, the problem is with the carriers. I bet you if Nokia/Microsoft turned around to AT&T, Verizon, etc, and said "This is the day the update comes out to everyone, it is being released to everybody that day no matter what" or something to that effect, the carriers would laugh and say "Fine, we're just not stocking your phones on our network and will actively block any of your phones that try to access our network". Hence why I'm glad my Nokia is unbranded and unlocked, it means I don't have to deal with the carrier farce. I sympathise with those that do though, as ultimately they're the ones losing out. See Lumia 810 for example. But I had an EE-locked/branded 920 before I ended up back on Android. And yes, the carriers are ridiculous in the stuff they get away with.
    04-07-2014 08:33 AM
    "This is the day the update comes out to everyone, it is being released to everybody that day no matter what" or something to that effect, the carriers would laugh and say "Fine, we're just not stocking your phones on our network and will actively block any of your phones that try to access our network".

right.....because they have done that with Google Nexus and Apple phones.

give me a break dude.
    04-07-2014 08:39 AM
    Buddies don't be smart...
    Just wait for the official date of conference...
    San Francisco
    04-07-2014 08:43 AM
    And one more thing 8.1 is going to be the biggest turn for windows phone...
    Wish cortana could launch as soon as possible in India...
    04-07-2014 08:45 AM
    I can tell you who WON'T get 8.1: t-mo USA's 8X and 810.
    sahib lopez likes this.
    04-07-2014 08:46 AM
    "This is the day the update comes out to everyone, it is being released to everybody that day no matter what" or something to that effect, the carriers would laugh and say "Fine, we're just not stocking your phones on our network and will actively block any of your phones that try to access our network".

right.....because they have done that with Google Nexus and Apple phones.

give me a break dude.
    Those are different - even Nexus phones sold by the carriers have faced problems with updates. The Verizon Galaxy Nexus, for example. Only those Nexus devices bought from the Play Store are guaranteed to receive updates, and those are factory unlocked and unbranded anyway.

With the iPhone, well that's Apple. Carriers will do *anything* to keep Apple happy since they're the most desired and popular phones (in the US at least).
    04-07-2014 08:53 AM
    no don't give me that "that's apple" bull Google Nexus sold direct from Google is not "banned" or "not stocked" and Google releases updates directly on their own schedule. They also sell them direct in small numbers relative to Samsung Galaxy. If Microsoft sold a 930 direct to consumers it would sell in similar numbers.
    04-07-2014 09:16 AM
    no don't give me that "that's apple" bull Google Nexus sold direct from Google is not "banned" or "not stocked" and Google releases updates directly on their own schedule. They also sell them direct in small numbers relative to Samsung Galaxy. If Microsoft sold a 930 direct to consumers it would sell in similar numbers.
    Carriers have the power to block devices from their network. And it's Microsoft, the company trying to get a foot in the door, at least in the US market. I can bet that given how little support the carriers give their own WP devices that they would actively block WP devices if Microsoft went down that route.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    04-07-2014 09:28 AM
    I hope my 1520 will get a different optimized phablet ui with the update
    04-07-2014 09:34 AM
    I hope my 1520 will get a different optimized phablet ui with the update
    It won't, that much is certain. It will get the same UI as all other Windows Phones and that's the beauty of it, you can switch from one manufacturers devices to another and still get the same experience.
    04-07-2014 09:37 AM
    Carriers have the power to block devices from their network. And it's Microsoft, the company trying to get a foot in the door, at least in the US market. I can bet that given how little support the carriers give their own WP devices that they would actively block WP devices if Microsoft went down that route.
    no they do not. stop spreading bull. any phone that properly complies with the GSM standard is allowed to operate on any compatible network. An IMEI is only blocked if it has been reported stolen. There are thousands, if not millions of unbranded phones roaming on foreign networks as we speak. No one is blocking them....BECAUSE IT MAKES THEM MONEY from network use.

CDMA sides have more control because every phone must have an ESN registered with the network and Verizon has to assign blocks of ESNs to manufacturers (a draconian system that is going the way of the dodo BTW) This is also why the US Gov forced Verizon to leave the GSM sides of all their phones unlocked, for network interoperability purposes.
    04-07-2014 10:28 AM
77 123 ...