What phones will be getting the 8.1 update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justinbarrow

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering what phones in the Nokia range will be getting the new Windows Phone 8.1 update - I currently have a Nokia Lumia 920 and was wondering if this phone will be eligible for the new software update when it becomes available. Thanks everyone for any advice on this.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Just wondering what phones in the Nokia range will be getting the new Windows Phone 8.1 update - I currently have a Nokia Lumia 920 and was wondering if this phone will be eligible for the new software update when it becomes available. Thanks everyone for any advice on this.

All of them :) if you're in the US you get them asap.. depending on carrier i think.. outside of US will have to wait a bit longer

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Every Windows Phone 8 device is capable, but that doesn't mean that they'll all get it. It is still up to carriers. The 810, for instance, on TMO, has had little support so I'd guess that TMO won't be pushing 8.1 to the 810. Owners of phones that the carriers don't support could still use the Preview for Developers app to get the OS update, though that won't get them any firmware or software updates from carriers or OEMs.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
well your statements are really no better than Microkia's then. First state that WP8.1 is coming to all phones, then when someone calls out about the 810, retort with the fine print.

Either they are or they aren't. No more of this bull about "well we will provide it for all phones, but the carrier has to implement it "

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
well your statements are really no better than Microkia's then. First state that WP8.1 is coming to all phones, then when someone calls out about the 810, retort with the fine print.

Either they are or they aren't. No more of this bull about "well we will provide it for all phones, but the carrier has to implement it "
My comment isn't a retort with fine print. It's truth, intended to combat misinformation (it was stated above that it will go to all of the phones - simply not true), whether you like it or not.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

What the hell do you expect? That we would have more information than Microsoft? It's the same thing as it has been. All phones can get, and should get 8.1. But as always, the carriers have the final say. No one knows what the carriers will do at this point.

Microsoft has made the update available outside the carriers through the "developer preview." Which really is nothing different, it just bypasses the carrier and firmware.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

If you have a problem with it, take it up with the carriers. It really is that simple. Literally, the carrier gets the final say in the matter, not us. I want to see it come to all phones myself, but we both know that probably won't happen. It's why I'm glad my Nokia is factory unlocked.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
All of them :) if you're in the US you get them asap.. depending on carrier i think.. outside of US will have to wait a bit longer

That doesn't exactly follow, US carriers tend to be slower to roll out updates than the rest of the world but what do I know seeing as I'm from the UK!!!

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If you have a problem with it, take it up with the carriers. It really is that simple. Literally, the carrier gets the final say in the matter, not us. I want to see it come to all phones myself, but we both know that probably won't happen. It's why I'm glad my Nokia is factory unlocked.

Your Nokia is UNBRANDED AND UNLOCKED. Having an unlocked phone doesn't mean anything if it is still branded to a carrier.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Your Nokia is UNBRANDED AND UNLOCKED. Having an unlocked phone doesn't mean anything if it is still branded to a carrier.

Yeah, of which I'm thankful of that. But my point still stands, the problem is with the carriers. I bet you if Nokia/Microsoft turned around to AT&T, Verizon, etc, and said "This is the day the update comes out to everyone, it is being released to everybody that day no matter what" or something to that effect, the carriers would laugh and say "Fine, we're just not stocking your phones on our network and will actively block any of your phones that try to access our network". Hence why I'm glad my Nokia is unbranded and unlocked, it means I don't have to deal with the carrier farce. I sympathise with those that do though, as ultimately they're the ones losing out. See Lumia 810 for example. But I had an EE-locked/branded 920 before I ended up back on Android. And yes, the carriers are ridiculous in the stuff they get away with.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
"This is the day the update comes out to everyone, it is being released to everybody that day no matter what" or something to that effect, the carriers would laugh and say "Fine, we're just not stocking your phones on our network and will actively block any of your phones that try to access our network".

right.....because they have done that with Google Nexus and Apple phones.

give me a break dude.

iXesh

Banned
Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
And one more thing 8.1 is going to be the biggest turn for windows phone...
Wish cortana could launch as soon as possible in India...

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
"This is the day the update comes out to everyone, it is being released to everybody that day no matter what" or something to that effect, the carriers would laugh and say "Fine, we're just not stocking your phones on our network and will actively block any of your phones that try to access our network".

right.....because they have done that with Google Nexus and Apple phones.

give me a break dude.

Those are different - even Nexus phones sold by the carriers have faced problems with updates. The Verizon Galaxy Nexus, for example. Only those Nexus devices bought from the Play Store are guaranteed to receive updates, and those are factory unlocked and unbranded anyway.

With the iPhone, well that's Apple. Carriers will do *anything* to keep Apple happy since they're the most desired and popular phones (in the US at least).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes