06-16-2014 07:37 PM
133 ... 456
tools
    One thing I can not do with a windows phone: Watching the NBA playoffs live. iOS and Androd both have apps to watch NBA Playoffs (WatchESPN, WatchTNT, TNTOvertime, WatchABC and Skyfire browser for when you need to watch it on a 'Flash' site.
    04-30-2014 11:02 AM
    I know this is thread necromancy, but I think this topic is relevant (and continues to be until Microsoft and app developers make this question a lot easier to answer).

If marketing, sales, and even us passionate fans have to REACH to find features in WP8.1 that iOS and Android do not have, that's a problem.

I can think of only three features (not abstracts like "aura" or other BS) that WP8.1 has that iOS/Android does not have:

1) Live Tiles (that's the obvious one)

2) The People Hub with its social networking integration

3) A handset with a 41mp camera.

Am I missing anything? If this were three years ago, we could list stability, but this is 2014. Android is past the days of Samsung Galaxy S l models with Gingerbread and frequent lock-ups.

So UNLESS and UNTIL Microsoft provides a PLETHORA of killer AAA features that iOS and Android could never even dream of having, people are not going to abandon their Apple or Google ecosystems, re-purchase all their apps, and switch.
    Last edited by killerb255; 06-13-2014 at 09:05 PM. Reason: typos
    06-13-2014 09:04 PM
    Very soon, nothing.
    06-13-2014 10:07 PM
    An official Facebook client that doesn't shove ads down your throat, or demand read and write access to your text messages before it will install?
    06-14-2014 08:30 AM
    My sarcastic answer would be: "A useable OS!!!"
    My truthful answer would be: "A fluid and useable OS!!!"

All the 'eye candy' in the world cannot hide the fact that these two grandaddies are showing their age, whatever you may think. WP IS the future, that is why a few of the WP ways of doing things have found their way onto iOS and Android... Mmmmm, strange!!!!!

Keep the faith!!!!
    06-14-2014 07:20 PM
    nothing...and im serious.i guess i just like the tiles,the original ones, not the ones from Google play 🎭 store. but hey that launcher is fluid and usable too.
    06-14-2014 07:25 PM
    An official Facebook client that doesn't shove ads down your throat, or demand read and write access to your text messages before it will install?
    Is that really a killer AAA feature? Is that alone enough to get Average Joe and Average Jane to switch?

My truthful answer would be: "A fluid and useable OS!!!"
    This isn't 2011 anymore. Android has caught up in making its OS fluid, for the most part. Microsoft could have capitalized on Android being slow and bloated back then when they had a chance...but they didn't.

Seriously guys. Try answering the question without scraping the bottom of the barrel.
    06-16-2014 04:38 PM
    Is that really a killer AAA feature? Is that alone enough to get Average Joe and Average Jane to switch?

This isn't 2011 anymore. Android has caught up in making its OS fluid, for the most part. Microsoft could have capitalized on Android being slow and bloated back then when they had a chance...but they didn't.

Seriously guys. Try answering the question without scraping the bottom of the barrel.
    People are not going to switch for something that is a little better or "subjectively" better. They have an investment of time and money into their current ecosystem (on iOS or Android that could be in the hundreds of dollars when you consider iBooks, Google Books, Movies for either platform and especially paid apps). For me personally I own 3 current Android devices (and one price provides apps for all three platforms including the fact that I have used 3 different Android phones). I certainly wouldn't want to go to WP8 and have to pay separately for the Windows Phone 8 app and then the Windows 8 app - I know universal apps are coming but they're not there yet. While most Fanboys on this site put down iOS or Android for various shortfalls (unstable, laggy, boring, not as good as WP8, etc) for most people (me included) I don't see those various shortfalls in my personal use. It's really hard to see WP8 making some leap forward from its 3-4% market share in the US. While it is doing quite well in some regions or countries it has hit a plateau in the US.
    06-16-2014 07:37 PM
133 ... 456