What does wp8.1 have that iOS and android do not ?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Simple as that, what does windows phone 8.1 have that android/ios do not ?

This thread is specifically for the pros of wp8.1, not 8, 7.8, 7.5, or even the 6.x range, just to be clear.

OK, go, list all the features you know wp has that iOS/android lack

Bruce Beard

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
I know my answer is not in the spirit of the question as posted but I thought I would answer it this way anyway...
As an IOS user from the beginning and in the past six months an Android (Note 3) user, Windows Phone 8.1 has me waiting anxiously! I am just days into my new Lumia 1520 and am enjoying the change immensely! So in other words, it has me!

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
customizable quick settings, allow to show he app you want to see in notification (idk if other has it..), LIVE TILE AND FLIPPING TILE, all photography apps by nokia! (sorry other windows phone user that are using other brand), HERE city lens, lockable screen rotation, slide the quick settings down only without pulling the notification too

Pl4ub

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Quickly nothing major comes to my mind, other than it's different. Cool way different that had me kept my L920 for the longest time compared to my previous smartphones. Almost 1,5 years. Off contract purchase.

Coming from Symbian, Android, back to Symbian and Meego.

antsin3d

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I think people look too much at features and not enough at workflow. What is the process and experience to perform various needed tasks? Not just number of taps, but also aesthetic and emotional. That was a big focus of the iPhone originally, and it's a huge part of WP. I've yet to see a really good comparison of the three platforms looking at it from a UX task-based perspective (at least where the individual didn't have an obvious favorite).

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
XBL gaming... Although it's far and few between new releases lately... Hopefully it will start to shift back to more frequent XBL enabled game releases.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I think people look too much at features and not enough at workflow. What is the process and experience to perform various needed tasks? Not just number of taps, but also aesthetic and emotional. That was a big focus of the iPhone originally, and it's a huge part of WP. I've yet to see a really good comparison of the three platforms looking at it from a UX task-based perspective (at least where the individual didn't have an obvious favorite).

Sounds great! Start a thread for that!

Dev Seth

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Windows phone has a different aura and experience surrounding it. I have used tons of Droid and iPhone 4-5S but I have yet to feel the happy and joyful feeling I get whenever I pick up my WP. Android feels like it is paper, cotton and granite stitched together; windows phone is a roll of smooth silk. It has a lot of personality, live tiles and looks pleasing to the eye.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Dev Seth

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site

+1320

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Boy...you think there would be a spreadsheet somewhere that shows WP list and the ios and Android counterpart features (if applicable).

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I honestly don't give this too much thought. Each platform will have it's differences and whether those are positive/negative depends on the user. For me, it comes down to what I prefer, and what appeals or works best for my needs/wants. I'm always happy to see more features added and others tweaked, but it's not something I dwell on.

Ezhik

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
customizable quick settings, allow to show he app you want to see in notification (idk if other has it..), LIVE TILE AND FLIPPING TILE, all photography apps by nokia! (sorry other windows phone user that are using other brand), HERE city lens, lockable screen rotation, slide the quick settings down only without pulling the notification too

Android has all of those features in bold, actually, while the last one is more of eye candy than a feature (although iOS still does it in a way).

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Nobody mentioned Inner Circles. This is definitely something I haven't seen either Android or iOS! And perhaps Battery Sense, too. Its there in both OS', but it seems more refined in WP8.1.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I think WP is the only one that has a trial option on apps (up to developer to implement)... Not that it is a big deal, but keeps from having to have 2 copies of the same app in the store (although some developers do that anyway 😠)

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Boy...you think there would be a spreadsheet somewhere that shows WP list and the ios and Android counterpart features (if applicable).

Link to it?

This thread is specifically for the wp centric, positive things, instead of the normal/repetitive 'can wp do this like android?' usual topics that get locked almost daily.

George Jenkinson

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a L920 and iP5s and I'd say the differences fall into hardware and software camps.

Nokia's phones are unique in their designs, whereas I tend to see Apple, Samsung, HTC etc as following the same design principles. Nokia also have made a champion of design and their phones are easy to spot from what otherwise would be a fairly similar line up.

On the software side, Nokias come with HERE maps, and DRIVE etc., along with a fantastic camera and inbuilt photo editing apps, Office and good MS integration.
There are some woeful downfalls as well though - albeit that some of these will be addressed in WP8.1, such as the hopeless calendar and poor notification set up, both of which are weak efforts for something billed as a work phone...

I have learnt - the hard way - that there isn't a perfect phone. The best one for me is the one that can achieve the most of the list of things I need it to do....

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
let me think......
hmmmm........

WP have apps that cost you only in WP and you can get it free on Android like Moli Player etc...
So,
If you have lots of unused money and you are dying to spend that money then here is the WP for you.
and the other one is
WP is more secure OS than the two OS you mention. Forget the devs even the hackers aren't interest in WP for now.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos