What does wp8.1 have that iOS and android do not ?

hermantj

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Very few lags. I used ios and android. My L920 is 1,5 year old, and there's no lags.
My iphone 4 was 1 year old and was already laggy.
Same with my Samsung galaxy S3.

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
One important advantage WP has is uniform hardware which enables hassle-free timely updates for all devices (exception being the lumia 810 which was abandoned by t-mobile, even so developer preview acts as a workaround for this).

Every WP device can be on the latest version of the OS. Android is notoriously terrible at this.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
One important advantage WP has is uniform hardware which enables hassle-free timely updates for all devices (exception being the lumia 810 which was abandoned by t-mobile, even so developer preview acts as a workaround for this).

Every WP device can be on the latest version of the OS. Android is notoriously terrible at this.

Umm... Not sure what hardware you're talking about but the ONLY one that has uniform hardware is Apple. WP is on a ton of various hardware from a collection of vendors.

Ramazan Bilgin

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
A map. Yes it has integrated bing map and here map but both of them suck. My last search was mcdonald but they showed me a place where there is no mcdonald. Maybe there was one in a year ago. It hasnt happaned just once. They really need to improve their maps. I wish gmap will come to wp soon.

05Paris

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The most important difference for me is the synergy between the desktop, laptop, tablet and phone ecosystem. You don't have that with either Apple or Android. You can take most the apps and put them in a mayonnaise jar for all I care. Give me function and something that looks great...that would be WP.

Torch4x4

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
We cannot compare right now, but I think there's a good opportunity for WP to get some advantages in some details, for instance Cortana with 3rd party app integration, would be great if you can say "Cortana open Netflix and play the last episode of House of Cards" or "Cortana open spottify and play the latest album of Lorde" that was demonstrated by Joe Belfiore in a video opening hulu and playing a tv show. from the past we had the Pandora for free, Office, Onedrive autoupload, predictive keyboard, etc. etc. some good little details not available in other platforms that moment, in general WP has better cameras, UI with no lag, the people hub, pin of almost everything to the screen, etc. etc. lets wait for the release of 8.1 and then compare...

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Tiles are semi-unique. There's no "pre-launch display panel" idea on iOS. Android has widgets, but the uptake of widgets appears to be less than the use of live tiles. (I'm not one who believes that live tiles are an alternative for a notification center. However, tiles can convey key information instantly, saving users from having to jump in an out of apps.)

The concept of secondary tiles, that is, additional icons that can take a user directly to a particular part of an app. They are effectively app bookmarks and they aren't available in iOS or Android. (Yes, one could write lots of widgets for Android to achieve this, but few apps do.) Our app really exploits this, providing users links to any part of the app. In the image below, we show the main tile and secondary tiles to take students directly to their grades, course list, schedule, bus schedule, campus map, announcements, and even a specific class.
cc2e8aed-57b5-4e1b-82fe-e4d0b57f717c.png

Kashan Osama

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Tiles are semi-unique. There's no "pre-launch display panel" idea on iOS. Android has widgets, but the uptake of widgets appears to be less than the use of live tiles. (I'm not one who believes that live tiles are an alternative for a notification center. However, tiles can convey key information instantly, saving users from having to jump in an out of apps.)

The concept of secondary tiles, that is, additional icons that can take a user directly to a particular part of an app. They are effectively app bookmarks and they aren't available in iOS or Android. (Yes, one could write lots of widgets for Android to achieve this, but few apps do.) Our app really exploits this, providing users links to any part of the app. In the image below, we show the main tile and secondary tiles to take students directly to their grades, course list, schedule, bus schedule, campus map, announcements, and even a specific class.
View attachment 61878

this...nailed it mate

Adriaan NL

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Nicely put, manicottiK! I'd add that most widgets have their own design - none fits within one design language. That makes one's start screen(s) pretty disjoint with a lot of different looking elements. So, the WP start screen can be seen as whole, while the Android home screen is a collection of elements.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
ManicottiK that was very true ! I'd like to add, live tiles are unique ! By unique i mean, they haven't been seen anywhere else before wp7.
In case of iOS, their home screen was basically the menu screen of all java phones of that era. Android just copied iOS, and gave some freedom to devs who made various designs of the home screen/app drawer. But all that wasn't revolutionary. Live tiles is the only revolutionary idea in the phone OS market.

Adriaan NL

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
ManicottiK that was very true ! I'd like to add, live tiles are unique ! By unique i mean, they haven't been seen anywhere else before wp7.
In case of iOS, their home screen was basically the menu screen of all java phones of that era. Android just copied iOS, and gave some freedom to devs who made various designs of the home screen/app drawer. But all that wasn't revolutionary. Live tiles is the only revolutionary idea in the phone OS market.

That's unfair to the concept of widgets: they are unique as well. They offer a way of interacting with an app without actually opening it. That's pretty nifty too. However, the approach of tiles is different. Tiles are basically re-invented icons, as they are still "shortcuts" to apps, but their way of referring to the apps is different. In a way, they are "windows" to apps as they offer a way to see what is going on in the app, without actually opening it.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
That's unfair to the concept of widgets: they are unique as well. They offer a way of interacting with an app without actually opening it. That's pretty nifty too. However, the approach of tiles is different. Tiles are basically re-invented icons, as they are still "shortcuts" to apps, but their way of referring to the apps is different. In a way, they are "windows" to apps as they offer a way to see what is going on in the app, without actually opening it.

yes its true. But widgets were not very unique. Vista had them in 2006, an year before iOS and 2 years before android. Then, they are a HUGE memory hog, and have a huge role in making android the lagdroid it is. Also, they're much much much bigger battery hogs than live tiles.
But relevant is the fact that widgets weren't a revolution by google.

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I have lumia 920, nexus 5 and iphone 5s. I enjoy much more using my iphone over the two others. Its simple and always work. When i put down my iphone i take lumia. But i think over all ios use is a great experience.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss