11-02-2015 05:17 PM
204 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Tip: In order for an app to show up in notifications+actions, the background tasks must be turned on and you must receive an alert from that app . From there, you can now have custom alert tones for apps that use action center (even the WPCentral app).
    Guytronic likes this.
    04-26-2014 01:35 PM
    I just discovered that hard resetting your phone without restoring the backup data works much better for problems with lag. I had done a hard reset before with the restored data and the lag was unbearable. Now the phone runs almost without any lag.
    I did a reset before and after I installed 8.1 and I started afresh without restoring from a backup. I have almost no problems and my battery is better now than before with 8.0
    Guytronic likes this.
    04-26-2014 06:07 PM
    Noticed today if you have multiple notifications from the same app in the Action Centre, pressing the app name brings you to the main part of the app, rather than the individual notification. I found this useful with multiple email notifications...if you click the individual email there's no way to get back to your inbox without going back to the Start screen. Pressing 'Outlook' (or whatever your account's called) takes you to your inbox.
    04-27-2014 03:44 PM
    Noticed today if you have multiple notifications from the same app in the Action Centre, pressing the app name brings you to the main part of the app, rather than the individual notification. I found this useful with multiple email notifications...if you click the individual email there's no way to get back to your inbox without going back to the Start screen. Pressing 'Outlook' (or whatever your account's called) takes you to your inbox.
    Thanks a lot man! It was driving me crazy!!!
    Guytronic likes this.
    04-27-2014 07:32 PM
    Is There any trick to add data connection on/off shortcut to Notification+ Actions?????
    04-28-2014 10:23 PM
    Love this
    Guytronic likes this.
    04-29-2014 04:41 PM
    Storing apps on the SD card is great but don't go overboard.
    NOKIA Mix Radio feels laggy and slow when run from the SD card. Browsing locally stored music seems faster if the app is installed on the phone and not the SD card.
    HeyCori likes this.
    04-30-2014 05:22 PM
    Storing apps on the SD card is great but don't go overboard.
    NOKIA Mix Radio feels laggy and slow when run from the SD card. Browsing locally stored music seems faster if the app is installed on the phone and not the SD card.
    Not laggy for me at all, it's probably just your card.
    05-01-2014 12:39 PM
    This whole thread could be 2 pages if you deleted the 85 duplicates from people too lazy to read what was already posted.

This tip is for people converting from Apple / iOS world to WP 8.1
    WP will install me.com and iCloud.com emails (where iOS users store contacts, calendars etc.)
    After you install the email address, go back into accounts, bring up menu and you will have an option to sync Contacts from the iCloud.
    Easy contact import for switchers. Enjoy.

Tip 2: You can import Gmail contacts (if you are an android user) to outlook.com email, then it will sync all your android contacts automatically.
    James8561 and anon(8657436) like this.
    05-01-2014 09:42 PM
    This whole thread could be 2 pages if you deleted the 85 duplicates from people too lazy to read what was already posted.

This tip is for people converting from Apple / iOS world to WP 8.1
    WP will install me.com and iCloud.com emails (where iOS users store contacts, calendars etc.)
    After you install the email address, go back into accounts, bring up menu and you will have an option to sync Contacts from the iCloud.
    Easy contact import for switchers. Enjoy.

Tip 2: You can import Gmail contacts (if you are an android user) to outlook.com email, then it will sync all your android contacts automatically.
    Another guy on the forum wanted to know about this.
    PS: Can you detail about how to add those e-mails cause I don't see them in emails + accounts.
    05-01-2014 10:52 PM
    here you go :)

Attachment 63039

This checkbox will only appear when you turn the Wi-Fi OFF. Its not there when its ON..
    I don't have the choice for "near my favorite places"...just the others.
    05-02-2014 10:41 AM
    I don't have the choice for "near my favorite places"...just the others.

Are location services and Cortana enabled? You won't get the option without these.
    05-02-2014 04:04 PM
    This is for UK (that's where I am) on a htc 8s.
    If you tap search to open Bing then type Cortana settings in opens the Cortana settings in the phone which are otherwise not shown if it is not installed (like mine). The settings have a Cortana on/off toggle but it states "not available in this region" underneath it.
    05-04-2014 01:24 AM
    This is for UK (that's where I am) on a htc 8s.
    If you tap search to open Bing then type Cortana settings in opens the Cortana settings in the phone which are otherwise not shown if it is not installed (like mine). The settings have a Cortana on/off toggle but it states "not available in this region" underneath it.
    It work in italian phone too, I think it work the same for all the not US phone
    05-05-2014 01:40 AM
    When checking a facebook notification from the action centre, if you tap the persons name/pic, it will take you to their profile in the facebook app. Didn't know that. I thought it was dumb that I couldn't navigate the app from there, but apparently you can.
    If this is widely known, I don't know how how I missed it.
    05-09-2014 10:00 PM
    if an update comes for wp8.1 only for developers then u need intsall it again so better u hav the app in advance
    Yes, right.But for me that wasn't sufficient. Couldn't see the latest update from 14.5. in my updates. So I started the "Preview for Developers" again and logged in the account. After that the update showed up for me too and I could install it.
    05-15-2014 09:38 AM
    Ask Cortana, "Who's your daddy?" And see what happens.
    Try:
    "Who's your mama?
    05-19-2014 01:07 PM
    I loved being able to choose multiple emoticons at once on the WP8 keyboard. The WP8.1 Keyboard chooses one emoticon and reverts back to the letters by default. Change this by going to Settings / Keyboard / Advanced and uncheck "Switch back to letters after I type an emoticon". Enjoy.
    El Bori likes this.
    05-31-2014 02:09 AM
    To clear Notifications, you DON'T need to swipe with two fingers. At least in my case, single finger will do.
    DrSARANG MALI likes this.
    06-09-2014 09:53 AM
    To clear Notifications, you DON'T need to swipe with two fingers. At least in my case, single finger will do.

This only clears notifications from one single source, whereas the two finger swipe gesture clears all notifications. Just like the clear all button in the top left does.
    06-09-2014 10:28 AM
    I'm not sure if everyone know about this.
    To those who have problem with their phone after pinned Cortana LiveTile, you may still see all the information that Cortana prepared for you by hitting "Search button(to bring up Cortana), then swipe up".

Hope this help.
    06-11-2014 11:14 PM
    Pro tip: Quickly turn WiFi on/off by holding the action tile instead of tapping (which opens the 📶 menu)
    This no longer works this way for me. When WiFi is on, a long press still takes me to the WiFi settings. However, when it is off, a short press quickly toggles it on.
    06-13-2014 07:40 PM
    I don't know if this has been reported but I found it out yesterday. I wanted to listen to posts of StarTalk, but it didn't exist when I searched the new podcast app. I used Audiocloud for awhile but yesterday noticed the search box on the native app also includes URLs. So I went to the StarTalk website, copied the URL for the RSS feed and presto, it worked. If you want to try it, here is the link I used:
    http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/so...127/sounds.rss
    06-16-2014 09:13 PM
    Sorry if this has been brought up before but if your in the photos and have it on 'all' photos and you tap a date you get a list of the dates to pick from.
    Attached Thumbnails wp_ss_20140702_0003.png  
    jlowe73 likes this.
    07-02-2014 02:30 AM
    Sorry if this has been brought up before but if your in the photos and have it on 'all' photos and you tap a date you get a list of the dates to pick from.
    This isn't 8.1 related. It has always been like that. Even in WP7, if I remember correctly. ;)
    a5cent likes this.
    07-02-2014 03:57 AM
204 ... 45678 ...