The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
11-02-2015 05:17 PM
204 ... 56789
tools
    Not sure if it had already been mentioned or if it was a feature of 8.0 or not. When and alarm goes off, pressing either of the volume keys silences it. Useful for the mornings when I just want it to shut up, you don't have to press the exact button on the screen.
    07-05-2014 03:48 AM
    Just letting everyone know:

[NOTE]The first post has undergone a huge overhaul, which makes for much easier reading![/NOTE]

Enjoy!
    Last edited by a5cent; 11-02-2015 at 05:12 PM. Reason: spelng, eh spellig, ah... you know
    07-16-2014 09:15 AM
    After going through all of the posts, I haven't seen this one yet. If you open the calendar in week view and a facebook friends birthday is showing and you tap on their name, the day expands then you tap on that persons name again and it will open up their FB page. From month view you only need to tap once. Never noticed that before.
    07-31-2014 05:10 AM
    "To switch between two and three column tile layouts go to Settings > Start+Theme | 'Show more Tiles' = On"

I can not see "Show more Tiles" option in Start+Theme.
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    08-04-2014 10:09 PM
    "To switch between two and three column tile layouts go to Settings > Start+Theme | 'Show more Tiles' = On"

I can not see "Show more Tiles" option in Start+Theme.

If you're sporting a device like the 1320 or 1520, there's no such option. You're stuck with 3 rows. And as far as I know the option is not their for devices with a screen size less than 4.5" either. These devices cannot display more than 2 rows.
    08-06-2014 03:19 AM
    If you're sporting a device like the 1320 or 1520, there's no such option. You're stuck with 3 rows. And as far as I know the option is not their for devices with a screen size less than 4.5" either. These devices cannot display more than 2 rows.
    Thanks !! did not realize this... :)
    08-06-2014 09:29 AM
    Works on the old 810....
    08-06-2014 01:47 PM
    Thanks to everyone who has posted such nice tips n tricks for Windows Phone ๐Ÿ“ฑ 8.1 , thanks ๐Ÿ˜Š once again ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ™†๐Ÿ™
    a5cent and sez who like this.
    08-11-2014 08:03 AM
    A tip i want to share is the following one.

My kiddo doesn't always respont or read his messages
    and also has his phone on silence, so he doesn't always notice when someone calls.
    Now his mom ( my wife ) is hospitalized, and i couldnt reach him.
    That makes me think.
    I have his account and paswords......( his email comes in trough a other account, so he has his privacy ).
    We all know the find my phone option and webpage.....don't we.
    What i have done is the following
    I have logged in on his account on the webpage "find my phone"
    and pinned it on my home screen, so its stays logged in.
    Now in case of emergency,
    i can get his full attention by locking his screen ( With allarmsound ) and send a message right on his homescreen.

It works :-)
    No third party apps needed, just a pinned webpage
    08-28-2014 08:49 AM
    You can use a solid color BG to make your tiles any color you want with the new background function.
    how does this work? I have a 1520 pdated to 8.1 and I really want to change tile colors because I don't like having 95% of them be whatever color chosen.
    08-29-2014 12:19 PM
    how does this work? I have a 1520 pdated to 8.1 and I really want to change tile colors because I don't like having 95% of them be whatever color chosen.
    Go to the same settings were you change the colors....but now you are going to choose for a picture.
    Instead of a picture you can use a bitmap or jpg in anny color you want.
    Just fabricate a background picture with paint ( on your desktop or laptop ) and ad it in to a folder on your phone.
    Now you can select that wallpaper trough your settings as the same way as you change the standard wallpapers
    Guytronic likes this.
    08-29-2014 03:11 PM
    Here's a neat one - create a folder in Outlook.com with a rule for email from a certain sender to go in there (say WPCentral forums email notifications for example). Then when the folder syncs down to your phone, pin that folder to the start screen to give a dedicated view/count of just your new emails from that sender. Works great, and wide tile shows a preview of the latest new email too. Useful for job alerts, eBay, all sorts.
    08-31-2014 10:27 AM
    Neat trick I did not know this, is there anyway to change the Icon of the pin tile to something else via the OS or an App? I have a folder for my Bosses Emails and would like to either add his pic or use a different icon than the exchange default Icon since that is the same one for my mailbox tile.

Thanks

Here's a neat one - create a folder in Outlook.com with a rule for email from a certain sender to go in there (say WPCentral forums email notifications for example). Then when the folder syncs down to your phone, pin that folder to the start screen to give a dedicated view/count of just your new emails from that sender. Works great, and wide tile shows a preview of the latest new email too. Useful for job alerts, eBay, all sorts.
    09-04-2014 10:10 PM
    The option is also on the 510/520. Just isn't on the 5"+ phones. ;)
    09-04-2014 10:20 PM
    If you have a contact with more than one mobile number, you can switch which number you text them on after you have started a thread.

Open the existing thread, then tap "...", choose "Switch Number" then more numbers. You can now choose to text to any of the contacts numbers.

Now if only this could be available for NEW threads!
    a5cent likes this.
    09-09-2014 08:04 AM
    It's does work for new messages. Its the same process.
    09-09-2014 08:15 AM
    Something I've been waiting for!!!

With headphones plugged in, and ringer ON, the sound of incoming calls/texts come through your headphones ONLY.
    NO MORE ALERT SOUNDS COMING THROUGH YOUR SPEAKER WHILE HAVING HEADPHONES PLUGGED IN!

This is FANTASTIC, as I live in Chicago and take public transit. I would always forget my ringer was on when I would listen to music through my ear buds. No more disturbing people. ;)
    LINE message notification still come through my speaker, eventhough the headphones was plugged in.
    also, It looks like incoming calls ringtone will come out through speaker with SAME VOLUME as you're listening to while headphone was plugged in too..
    a little help here?

#L1020
    09-11-2014 04:46 AM
    LINE message notification still come through my speaker, eventhough the headphones was plugged in.
    also, It looks like incoming calls ringtone will come out through speaker with SAME VOLUME as you're listening to while headphone was plugged in too..
    a little help here?

#L1020
    Sounds to me like you're still on WP 8.0 oO
    09-11-2014 05:50 AM
    To change the case of a word you can select/highlight it and then repeatedly tap the shift key. This will cycle between upper-case, lower-case and first-letter-upper-case. You can also change the case for entire sentences in this way.
    I'm using a Lumia 520 in the US with 8.1 and Cyan. This isn't working for me. I really, really need this functionality. Am I missing something? tapping the shift key does absolutely nothing except change the case on the letters on the keyboard. Anyone else with this issue?

Glad for this thread, though, learned a lot that has helped me to be more productive. Someone please help me to figure this one out, though. Video perhaps?
    09-20-2014 05:55 PM
    In which app can I scan qr codes in WP8.1?
    09-21-2014 08:16 AM
    In which app can I scan qr codes in WP8.1?
    It's a camera lens now, launch camera, swipe up (hit ellipses), select lenses, select Bing Vision.
    Kavu2 likes this.
    09-21-2014 08:29 AM
    I'm using a Lumia 520 in the US with 8.1 and Cyan. This isn't working for me. I really, really need this functionality. Am I missing something? tapping the shift key does absolutely nothing except change the case on the letters on the keyboard. Anyone else with this issue?

Glad for this thread, though, learned a lot that has helped me to be more productive. Someone please help me to figure this one out, though. Video perhaps?
    Do you have Windows 8.1? Then just highlight the word and press the shift key.... Not much else to say.
    09-21-2014 08:31 AM
    Do you have Windows 8.1? Then just highlight the word and press the shift key.... Not much else to say.
    Yes, I stated that I have Windows Phone 8.1, with the Cyan update for the Lumia 520. I have highlighted the word, pressed the shift key, and NOTHING happens.
    09-21-2014 04:26 PM
    Yes, I stated that I have Windows Phone 8.1, with the Cyan update for the Lumia 520. I have highlighted the word, pressed the shift key, and NOTHING happens.
    I'd check your about section and make sure. I've never heard anyone else having this issue, you can't be unique, there has to be a reason....have you done a soft reset recently?
    09-21-2014 07:31 PM
    In Wunderlist and an Office Word doc. and Metromail, I was able to tap shift to change case. In OneNote, I'm not. (Also using a 520 with Cyan.)
    09-21-2014 08:08 PM
204 ... 56789