WP8.1 Tips & Tricks

gohilurvish

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: WP8.1: Tips and Tricks

To All.
Well, this is not final WP8.1. It is dev preview so many features will still be missing.

Now, Tips and Tricks.
I just saw a post on Allowing Apps to run in Background. Good.
But the real thing is "Menu" -> "Battery Saver" -> "usage" (tab on top) -> [Scroll to End] -> "show all apps" -> There will be many other apps which may have Background permission.

"Menu" -> "Store" -> "..." -> "My Apps" -> Show all apps you downloaded (and may be removed now). You can re-install them from here.

Miska Hietala

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site

Seems you can pull up any bottom bar from the bottom left corner, just swipe up 👆

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk for wp

Jowarman

May 6, 2013
Visit site

Something I've been waiting for!!!

With headphones plugged in, and ringer ON, the sound of incoming calls/texts come through your headphones ONLY.
NO MORE ALERT SOUNDS COMING THROUGH YOUR SPEAKER WHILE HAVING HEADPHONES PLUGGED IN!

This is FANTASTIC, as I live in Chicago and take public transit. I would always forget my ringer was on when I would listen to music through my ear buds. No more disturbing people. ;)

altafmahmood

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

Just saw a cool feature in new text follow keyboard. If you select a text and then press the shift key it toggles the letters to UPPERCASE lowercase and first letter capital. Try it out

Resurrectionist

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

Tap on your profile pic in the me tile (same as you did in WP8), but then there comes various options in my case Hotmail, FB and Twitter and then the fourth one in "find another", tap on that find another and then you can select your own pic. Hope this helps you.

But that only changes the picture of me tile, and not your Facebook profile. Neither does it get synced. It seems you can't change the profile picture of your Facebook account directly from the phone's me tile in WP 8.1 as before in WP 8.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

It's pretty annoying that you can't send a document from the e-mail app, meaning you can't attach a doc to an existing e-mail thread. Well, this has been alleviated somewhat with the ability to upload files through IE11. Now you can use your e-mail service's website to upload and attach documents! If you use Outlook, this can only be done from the desktop version of the site, but it's better than nothing!

Rahul_Lumia_720

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

I think wifi direct is a feature that is used in "Project My Screen". Though not many current phones support this except for Lumia 1520 which again have to wait for a firmware update!
You should probably find out the person who said that to you and ask about it. But I think the one you are referring to as WifiDirect was misunderstood for wifisense

Boolanger.

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

How do we add words to the keyboard suggestions?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

After using a word that is incorrect highlight the word and the 2 item in the suggestions field will have a +sign in front of it to add to to the suggested words

emptyfish

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

If you are seeing worse battery performance, go into Battery Saver and disable apps that you don't want running in the background. You can quickly scroll through the list and any app that shows "allowed" under the title is set to run in the background. Most of the apps on my phone had reset to allow, I had them turned off before the upgrade.

Sent from my RM-893_nam_tmous_201 using Tapatalk

abuhurairah13

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site

The ability to turn ON Wi-Fi automatically..
1. Turn Off Wi-Fi.
2. You will see the new menu called "turn Wi-Fi back on"
3. Set your favorite place in default map (NOT Here map).
4. Select "near my favorite place" in the menu.
Tadaa.. You will have your Wi-Fi turn on automatically when you're near your home, office or any favorite places you choose.

* typing this using word flow keyboard.. So awesome!!

Ivaylo Badinov

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site

[TIP]If you want the "comma" back go to Settings> Keyboard> Advanced and check the Show comma key when available OR Press and hold the full stop key[/TIP]

GraceFA60

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

In the WP8.1 preview videos, I remember seeing an option for 'Vibrate when ringing'. Now after I've updated my 920 to 8.1, there is no option to do this in the sound+ringtone settings.
Have MS removed this feature.

No, The Top one is the "Vibrate" toggle in ringtones+ sounds setting

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
When editing text,to change a letter/alphabet in 8.0,youhad to long press the word and a cusor will appear.Now in 8.1 the cursor appears by default,when tapping on a word.

Boolanger.

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

It's pretty annoying that you can't send a document from the e-mail app, meaning you can't attach a doc to an existing e-mail thread. Well, this has been alleviated somewhat with the ability to upload files through IE11. Now you can use your e-mail service's website to upload and attach documents! If you use Outlook, this can only be done from the desktop version of the site, but it's better than nothing!

another alternative would be to go to the OneDrive app→find the document →press and hold on the document→ select share→ get a link→send to clip board→ go to email chain and paste the URL . Rinse and repeat for multiple docs or share the whole folder or move just the ones you want to share to a new folder.

khader_moham

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

Dont know is anyone posted this but, its real handy

ask cortana to wake you up, whenever you want, she sets the alarm

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720