WP8.1 Tips & Tricks

Graelock

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: WP8.1: Tips and Tricks

I don't know when this actually became possible, but you can now manage your own playlists e.g. add/ remove tracks to a playlist.
Before, the old method required you to connect to a PC...there was a way to do it on the phone itself, but it relied on a clear play history list, which meant rebooting your phone, since there was no way to clear your play history. From a clean play history, you would then have to play the songs in the order you want to add them in and then saving your play history into a playlist LoL...I'm so glad it's much easier now.

Also, as a bonus, it appears the duplicate song issue is gone too...before, I'd have between 2-3 listings for each track lol

AiR DEGETA

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

Here is a small one that I am sure many already caught but for the others like myself I just found out in the Multitasking view you close app by swiping it down in addition to tapping the "X"

noiprocs

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

If you got Cortana running through your emails and messages and someone send you something like a meeting invite or to go for coffee at x time at x place. You'll likely see a dotted line(sms) or hyper link(emails) under part of the message(likely the time) that when selected will take you to a calendar event that Cortana filled out as much as possible.

You don't need Cortana to run through your emails to use that feature. What you're referring to is the
Detect tracking info, such as flights, in emails on your phone.
option. However, this really just tracks flight info or maybe even package tracking. But to you can turn that feature off in Settings -> Application Tab -> Cortana and she would still recognize events. Try it by turning the option off and sending a message like "Eat dinner today at 9pm" to your own cell phone number.

Last edited:

cjmacbeth

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site

NEAT LITTLE KEYBOARD TRICK

Not sure if you could do this on WP8 but if you highlight word then press the shift/capital button, one tap capitalises the first letter, two taps makes the whole word uppercase. Makes it much easier than fiddling around getting the curser in the right place. Can also be used to make a sentence or large area of text uppercase after it has been typed in lowercase.

ringbear-er

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

Now you can find contacts and 🎶 with the Bing 🔍 bar. just type and suggestions of these kind of data will appear.

Also in the search results the option phone 📞 is now available

Manoj Daran

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

To get Cortana for Non US countries - Goto Settings > Language > English, United States [Delete Other languages] and Settings > Region > United States, English. Reboot ur Phone. You will find Cortana in the Apps list or Simply click the Bing button. Now you can have your new friend.

person of interest

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site

Sorry if this was already posted but this is really nifty feature with Cortana. Cortana can automatically create an appointment from an email with dates and times in it. The days will show up as blue highlighted links in the email (i.e. Friday) which you just hit and Cortana will create an appointment query for the Calendar in which you fill in any additional details as needed. Pretty cool.

Gremsems

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
WPCentral Live Tile when adding website to Startscreen

I found out that if you add the WPCentral website to your startscreen, you automatically get a livetile that flips with headlines every 5 seconds!!! It's great! According to PhoneArena this also works with CNN, which I can also confirm!

iMoses

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site

you dont have to touch the moving circle, when u wanna edit sth, click on the letter u wanna edit or in some cases you would see something like 'I' with that small cirlcle under it. u shudnt touch the circle, just move the 'line' its far better than holding down and moving cursor like wp 8.0

Kyorin

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Built-in battery saver app didn't show battery level on medium tile, only on largest tile size. I use another app which is just called battery which does show the remaining percentage on the size of tile that I want - see pic.

wp_ss_20140417_0001.jpg

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

Built-in battery saver app didn't show battery level on medium tile, only on largest tile size. I use another app which is just called battery which does show the remaining percentage on the size of tile that I want - see pic.

My battery saver tile doesn't go to large size...only small and medium. They both show how much is left graphically, but never flip to show percentage.

Not too much of a big deal for me...I just swipe the notification center bar down a tiny bit to see the percentage, then slide it back up.

sree113

Banned
Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

Turn on App Backup in Back up menu to store your scores, and data related to apps installed in the phone.

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

tip/change - IE appears to be opening links to the same tab unless there's more opened. It was optional in WP 8.0, however the option is gone in settings (AFAIK)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium