WP8.1 Tips & Tricks

CernT

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: WP8.1: Tips and Tricks

if an update comes for wp8.1 only for developers then u need intsall it again so better u hav the app in advance
Yes, right.But for me that wasn't sufficient. Couldn't see the latest update from 14.5. in my updates. So I started the "Preview for Developers" again and logged in the account. After that the update showed up for me too and I could install it.

addicusbrown

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

I loved being able to choose multiple emoticons at once on the WP8 keyboard. The WP8.1 Keyboard chooses one emoticon and reverts back to the letters by default. Change this by going to Settings / Keyboard / Advanced and uncheck "Switch back to letters after I type an emoticon". Enjoy.

gunghu

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site

To clear Notifications, you DON'T need to swipe with two fingers. At least in my case, single finger will do.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

To clear Notifications, you DON'T need to swipe with two fingers. At least in my case, single finger will do.

This only clears notifications from one single source, whereas the two finger swipe gesture clears all notifications. Just like the clear all button in the top left does.

Antony Chan

May 19, 2014
Visit site

I'm not sure if everyone know about this.
To those who have problem with their phone after pinned Cortana LiveTile, you may still see all the information that Cortana prepared for you by hitting "Search button(to bring up Cortana), then swipe up".

Hope this help.

karelj

May 7, 2009
Visit site

Pro tip: Quickly turn WiFi on/off by holding the action tile instead of tapping (which opens the 📶 menu)
This no longer works this way for me. When WiFi is on, a long press still takes me to the WiFi settings. However, when it is off, a short press quickly toggles it on.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I don't know if this has been reported but I found it out yesterday. I wanted to listen to posts of StarTalk, but it didn't exist when I searched the new podcast app. I used Audiocloud for awhile but yesterday noticed the search box on the native app also includes URLs. So I went to the StarTalk website, copied the URL for the RSS feed and presto, it worked. If you want to try it, here is the link I used:
http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:38128127/sounds.rss

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Sorry if this has been brought up before but if your in the photos and have it on 'all' photos and you tap a date you get a list of the dates to pick from.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140702_0003.png
    wp_ss_20140702_0003.png
    228.5 KB · Views: 96

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Sorry if this has been brought up before but if your in the photos and have it on 'all' photos and you tap a date you get a list of the dates to pick from.

This isn't 8.1 related. It has always been like that. Even in WP7, if I remember correctly. ;)

cjmacbeth

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site

Not sure if it had already been mentioned or if it was a feature of 8.0 or not. When and alarm goes off, pressing either of the volume keys silences it. Useful for the mornings when I just want it to shut up, you don't have to press the exact button on the screen.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Just letting everyone know:

[NOTE]The first post has undergone a huge overhaul, which makes for much easier reading![/NOTE]

Enjoy!

Last edited:

iluvtilz

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
After going through all of the posts, I haven't seen this one yet. If you open the calendar in week view and a facebook friends birthday is showing and you tap on their name, the day expands then you tap on that persons name again and it will open up their FB page. From month view you only need to tap once. Never noticed that before.

Vyenkatesh

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
"To switch between two and three column tile layouts go to Settings > Start+Theme | 'Show more Tiles' = On"

I can not see "Show more Tiles" option in Start+Theme.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
"To switch between two and three column tile layouts go to Settings > Start+Theme | 'Show more Tiles' = On"

I can not see "Show more Tiles" option in Start+Theme.

If you're sporting a device like the 1320 or 1520, there's no such option. You're stuck with 3 rows. And as far as I know the option is not their for devices with a screen size less than 4.5" either. These devices cannot display more than 2 rows.

Vyenkatesh

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
If you're sporting a device like the 1320 or 1520, there's no such option. You're stuck with 3 rows. And as far as I know the option is not their for devices with a screen size less than 4.5" either. These devices cannot display more than 2 rows.

Thanks !! did not realize this... :)

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
A tip i want to share is the following one.

My kiddo doesn't always respont or read his messages
and also has his phone on silence, so he doesn't always notice when someone calls.
Now his mom ( my wife ) is hospitalized, and i couldnt reach him.
That makes me think.
I have his account and paswords......( his email comes in trough a other account, so he has his privacy ).
We all know the find my phone option and webpage.....don't we.
What i have done is the following
I have logged in on his account on the webpage "find my phone"
and pinned it on my home screen, so its stays logged in.
Now in case of emergency,
i can get his full attention by locking his screen ( With allarmsound ) and send a message right on his homescreen.

It works :)
No third party apps needed, just a pinned webpage

xxBigbacon

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site

You can use a solid color BG to make your tiles any color you want with the new background function.

how does this work? I have a 1520 pdated to 8.1 and I really want to change tile colors because I don't like having 95% of them be whatever color chosen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss