WP8.1 Tips & Tricks

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
how does this work? I have a 1520 pdated to 8.1 and I really want to change tile colors because I don't like having 95% of them be whatever color chosen.

Go to the same settings were you change the colors....but now you are going to choose for a picture.
Instead of a picture you can use a bitmap or jpg in anny color you want.
Just fabricate a background picture with paint ( on your desktop or laptop ) and ad it in to a folder on your phone.
Now you can select that wallpaper trough your settings as the same way as you change the standard wallpapers

The Lard

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Here's a neat one - create a folder in Outlook.com with a rule for email from a certain sender to go in there (say WPCentral forums email notifications for example). Then when the folder syncs down to your phone, pin that folder to the start screen to give a dedicated view/count of just your new emails from that sender. Works great, and wide tile shows a preview of the latest new email too. Useful for job alerts, eBay, all sorts.

dbdmora

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Neat trick I did not know this, is there anyway to change the Icon of the pin tile to something else via the OS or an App? I have a folder for my Bosses Emails and would like to either add his pic or use a different icon than the exchange default Icon since that is the same one for my mailbox tile.

Thanks

Here's a neat one - create a folder in Outlook.com with a rule for email from a certain sender to go in there (say WPCentral forums email notifications for example). Then when the folder syncs down to your phone, pin that folder to the start screen to give a dedicated view/count of just your new emails from that sender. Works great, and wide tile shows a preview of the latest new email too. Useful for job alerts, eBay, all sorts.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
If you're sporting a device like the 1320 or 1520, there's no such option. You're stuck with 3 rows. And as far as I know the option is not their for devices with a screen size less than 4.5" either. These devices cannot display more than 2 rows.

The option is also on the 510/520. Just isn't on the 5"+ phones. ;)

Alan Schofield

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
If you have a contact with more than one mobile number, you can switch which number you text them on after you have started a thread.

Open the existing thread, then tap "...", choose "Switch Number" then more numbers. You can now choose to text to any of the contacts numbers.

Now if only this could be available for NEW threads! :angry:

orenji88

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: WP8.1: Tips and Tricks

Something I've been waiting for!!!

With headphones plugged in, and ringer ON, the sound of incoming calls/texts come through your headphones ONLY.
NO MORE ALERT SOUNDS COMING THROUGH YOUR SPEAKER WHILE HAVING HEADPHONES PLUGGED IN!

This is FANTASTIC, as I live in Chicago and take public transit. I would always forget my ringer was on when I would listen to music through my ear buds. No more disturbing people. ;)

LINE message notification still come through my speaker, eventhough the headphones was plugged in.
also, It looks like incoming calls ringtone will come out through speaker with SAME VOLUME as you're listening to while headphone was plugged in too..
a little help here?

#L1020

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: WP8.1: Tips and Tricks

LINE message notification still come through my speaker, eventhough the headphones was plugged in.
also, It looks like incoming calls ringtone will come out through speaker with SAME VOLUME as you're listening to while headphone was plugged in too..
a little help here?

#L1020

Sounds to me like you're still on WP 8.0 oO

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
To change the case of a word you can select/highlight it and then repeatedly tap the shift key. This will cycle between upper-case, lower-case and first-letter-upper-case. You can also change the case for entire sentences in this way.

I'm using a Lumia 520 in the US with 8.1 and Cyan. This isn't working for me. I really, really need this functionality. Am I missing something? tapping the shift key does absolutely nothing except change the case on the letters on the keyboard. Anyone else with this issue?

Glad for this thread, though, learned a lot that has helped me to be more productive. Someone please help me to figure this one out, though. Video perhaps?

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm using a Lumia 520 in the US with 8.1 and Cyan. This isn't working for me. I really, really need this functionality. Am I missing something? tapping the shift key does absolutely nothing except change the case on the letters on the keyboard. Anyone else with this issue?

Glad for this thread, though, learned a lot that has helped me to be more productive. Someone please help me to figure this one out, though. Video perhaps?

Do you have Windows 8.1? Then just highlight the word and press the shift key.... Not much else to say.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Do you have Windows 8.1? Then just highlight the word and press the shift key.... Not much else to say.

Yes, I stated that I have Windows Phone 8.1, with the Cyan update for the Lumia 520. I have highlighted the word, pressed the shift key, and NOTHING happens.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I stated that I have Windows Phone 8.1, with the Cyan update for the Lumia 520. I have highlighted the word, pressed the shift key, and NOTHING happens.

I'd check your about section and make sure. I've never heard anyone else having this issue, you can't be unique, there has to be a reason....have you done a soft reset recently?

davidofmidnight

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site

In Wunderlist and an Office Word doc. and Metromail, I was able to tap shift to change case. In OneNote, I'm not. (Also using a 520 with Cyan.)

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
....have you done a soft reset recently?

I really should have thought of that. With all the years of experience I have with Microsoft products, dating back to the early 1980s.

Okay, the soft reset fixed my issue. It now works as it has been described. Thanks for the suggestion. I should have known.

Reminds me of an old joke about an corporate VP, an Engineer, and a Microsoft programmer on a car trip. They are going down a big hill, and the brakes go out. After a pretty crazy drive down the hill, they finally slow to a stop on a straight road. The VP wants to know what happened, and suggests that they appoint a committee to study the problem and report back in 2 weeks. The engineer states that he can just use his swiss army knife, disassemble the brake system and have it fixed in no time. The Microsoft programmer suggest they turn off the car, then try a restart to see if it happens again.

And this a joke from the late 80s when I first heard it. Still applies today, I suppose.

Thanks, all. Loving WP more every day. The more I learn about it, the more I'm loving it.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I really should have thought of that. With all the years of experience I have with Microsoft products, dating back to the early 1980s.

Okay, the soft reset fixed my issue. It now works as it has been described. Thanks for the suggestion. I should have known.

Reminds me of an old joke about an corporate VP, an Engineer, and a Microsoft programmer on a car trip. They are going down a big hill, and the brakes go out. After a pretty crazy drive down the hill, they finally slow to a stop on a straight road. The VP wants to know what happened, and suggests that they appoint a committee to study the problem and report back in 2 weeks. The engineer states that he can just use his swiss army knife, disassemble the brake system and have it fixed in no time. The Microsoft programmer suggest they turn off the car, then try a restart to see if it happens again.

And this a joke from the late 80s when I first heard it. Still applies today, I suppose.

Thanks, all. Loving WP more every day. The more I learn about it, the more I'm loving it.

I've had iPhones, they required more reboots than my WP ever has. That's the only rub on WP for me, there's not great documentation for all the features, and not totally obvious to the new user. Press and hold is used alot....

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
My phones are always on 24/7. Very rare for me to need a reboot during the day. However, my M/O has always been to do a morning reboot as I pull it off the charger. I will continue to do it this way as I think we all need a reboot when we roll out of bed anyway, Including my M8.I never have gotten the logic of someone proudly saying they never need to reboot. A reboot a day keeps the issues away, for me.

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
In which app can I scan qr codes in WP8.1?

There's an easier/faster way.

1. Turn off Cortana: the easiest way is to disable Location (swipe down the notification center and tap the Location to turn it off).
2. Now, tap the search / magnifying glass button, Bing Search will pop up. Then, tap the eye / eclipse button. The scanner will run.
* To turn on Cortana again, just enable the Location from the notification center..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)