Constant Rebooting... DO NOT UPDATE TO WP8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
PLEASE FOR THE SAKE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, TAKE MY ADVICE AND DO NOT UPDATE TO WP8.1 YET!

There are so many different tales on here of success and failure, there is no way for you to know which you will encounter. I have an HTC 8XT and the device is now worthless. This is my primary phone and now I have no idea how I am going to communicate with my wife and kids (especially while they are babysitting at work)

I understand this "developer preview" came with no guarantees, but this update was available through official Microsoft channels and I had no idea that the bugs I might encounter would not only include poor performance, loss of ancillary functionality, but also constant radio crashes and phone reboots.

The most offensive bugs are that once the phone falls asleep, the wifi radio will not work again until you reboot the phone. Oh well, at least I can still use talk and text? NO! Think again. I have been sitting here for 10 minutes with my phone on my desk untouched, and every 3 minutes the phone just reboots itself.

I was so excited for this update I did not consider the officially available preview would render me without a phone. PLEASE DO NOT UPDATE YOUR SOFTWARE!

I am now desperately scouring the internet for a way to recover my phone via flashing back to 8.0 but there is nothing, not even on XDA. The only options seems to be available for Nokia phones.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
You seem to need a hard reset, which will fix these issues most likely. But actively discouraging others not to update because of your experience is going a bit far.

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I was very hesitant to perform a hard reset because of other people saying a hard reset wiped their carrier settings and were unable to activate the device. I am trying it now. The point is, does anyone really want to go through all of this? I was so excited for the update I did not consider what a hassle it would be and I think other people deserve the warning. If I had come to these forums before updating, I probably would not have!

MATRIX RELOADED

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Whoa, slow down. Just like what others said, you may have to reset your phone. I'm using Lumia 620 and already rocking wp8.1. So far no problems, instead I'm experiencing a lot goodies on my phone. Although apps like lock screen and volume control stopped working with wp8.1. Developers need to recode or update their apps I guess...

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Well just an FYI, I did a hard reset on my phone, got through device activation DID NOT RESTORE FROM A BACKUP SO AS TO START FRESH and my device is still rebooting itself.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
If you sign in with your Microsoft account and are on a data connection you should get the option to restore from a backup, provided you have a backup on the cloud (you have to have backups enabled on your phone).

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
If you sign in with your Microsoft account and are on a data connection you should get the option to restore from a backup, provided you have a backup on the cloud (you have to have backups enabled on your phone).

That is not what I said at all. I purposefully skipped restoring from a backup to rule out any problem related to the old settings, and I am still getting reboots. Please read before replying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99