2 Colums vs 3 Colums: What do you prefer?

Sebaslight

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
well... I have a 520 and i have 3 colums... The smallest are a pain in the a** to look at. Sometimes you even forget they are there. But it definitely looks better.... I have pretty decent eyes (with glasses on) so i have no trouble looking at them but the three colum thing was ment to big screens, not for 4 inch... But everyone was doing it, i just wanted to be popular XD
wp_ss_20140418_0003[1].png

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
When I first saw screenshots of three columns I thought it looked horrible. To the point of not wanting a newer Windows Phone. Then it arrived for my Lumia 920 as well and I discovered that it looks a lot better in real life. And it is a lot more practical.

As for a new phone I no longer need to buy one. It came in the form of a download. :)
I share this sentiment. I thought the HTC 8S would not do 3 tiles well, but I like it. And yes, the 8S is now a new phone. :amaze:

atherosxd

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Loving it on my 1020. At first, the fonts are too small but I'm used to it now. and I find it better than the 2 columns and I can use many wide and medium columns and display all info I needed in just a glance :)

hoping that all Apps will support transparent tiles\

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
So finally adjusted to 3 columns. Looks neat now that I'm used to it.

View attachment 63624
Love the background! xD :love:

But I still have to rearrange the tiles back.
I noticed the exact same. I was curious what happened when you went back to 2 columns, and it screws up everything! And even if you immediately return to 2 columns, everything is still screwed up and you have to reorganize everything. :(

well... I have a 520 and i have 3 colums... The smallest are a pain in the a** to look at. Sometimes you even forget they are there. But it definitely looks better.... I have pretty decent eyes (with glasses on) so i have no trouble looking at them but the three colum thing was ment to big screens, not for 4 inch... But everyone was doing it, i just wanted to be popular XD
View attachment 63658
Haha, don't do something just to be popular! I personally still love 3 columns on my 520. But then again, I'm 16, so being young and nimble really does help with such tiny tiles, I suppose. :p

I share this sentiment. I thought the HTC 8S would not do 3 tiles well, but I like it. And yes, the 8S is now a new phone. :amaze:
I peronally have wanted three columns since the day they first unveiled it for large screen devices. So glad they finally brought it, but extra glad we get a choice in the matter!

this. All apps must be transparent or somewhat translucent.
Indeed. I have all my transparent tiles at the top. Always disappointing when, as I scroll down, it quickly transitions to solid tiles. I want to see my beautiful background!

Loving it on my 1020. At first, the fonts are too small but I'm used to it now. and I find it better than the 2 columns and I can use many wide and medium columns and display all info I needed in just a glance :)

hoping that all Apps will support transparent tiles\
Looks amazing on my 1020! And yes, developers need to make tiles transparent ASAP!!!

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
for large screens 3 columns for small screens 2 columns at least for me anything less than 4.5 should use 2 column

Last edited:

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Since I have fat a** fingers and the fact that 3 columns look kinda smallish on my L920, I prefer the 2 column Start Screen. Although I must admit, some of the screenshots I've seen on this thread of the 3 column look pretty sick.

WinSammie

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
3 columns on my Ativ S, some large tiles for dynamic content, medium tiles are good for often used functions and small tiles for less used. Love WP 8.1!

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Have gone back and forth between 2 and 3 columns several times now on my 820 and it always comes down to the tiles being too small and uncomfortable to use at that size and resolution. It's a lot like zooming out all the way in Sim City. You get to see everything but the fine details are lost. Definitely for 4.5" and above screens.

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
At first I didn't like the 3 column screen either because it messes with my layout of using double wide tiles as optical separators. But I have now found a way that still allows me to use them in a similar fashion and I love it. Not going back to 2 column screen.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk beta

Sebaslight

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
i'm 17... i have eyes, they just need help... This post was so long ago that i'm used to them now... looking back at the 2 column thing i realized that i preffer the three column thing

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb