Maps on SD card WP8.1

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I've been using WP8.1 on my Ativ S for a few days and all is good. Battery life may be worse than before but I use the phone a lot to get to know WP8.1 so it's better to judge this a week or two later...

I' ve been trying to find a way to store maps from the MS Maps app on the SD card but I cannot find a way. It's awesome that MS gives you downloadable maps but they take up 2GB+ and I'd rather have that on the SD card.
The storage sense gives you a reading for maps in the SD card but through Manage maps, settings, storage sense I have not been able to do it.
Any tips on this?

lpforthewin

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I think it's only possible on Lumia phones - nokia have an app called Lumia Storage Check which lets you save map data on the SD so I can do it on mine - I think it must change some path details as the maps app knows where to look too.

Maybe you could download this app with some proxy tricks if any still work...

Frex89

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Hey there,
Ive got the same Problem with my Ativ S. On Windows Phone 8.0 i did the interop unlock and used the WPH Tools with which it is easily possible to change the save direction of the maps. Its only 1 value in the OS that needs to be changed and i have no idea why they didnt implemented it but maybe its coming in the official version of windows phone 8.1.
if not, the autor of the first interop unlock already found a way to unlock 8.1 and is waiting for devices with 8.1 to come out to release it. im sure there will be a way in the future - nokia also changes the licenses so every windows phone user got the full licence so either they implement a setting in their app or ms will do.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think it's only possible on Lumia phones - nokia have an app called Lumia Storage Check which lets you save map data on the SD so I can do it on mine - I think it must change some path details as the maps app knows where to look too.

Maybe you could download this app with some proxy tricks if any still work...

I own the Nokia 1520, can't find the app, and also have it stored on my phone, doesn't seem to move to card

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
You could try transferring the maps over using a file explorer app like Aerize Explorer. I've never had the need to navigate offline so I haven't tried it with maps, but it works well with everything else I've tried, so...

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Sense says there is 3.5GB in maps, but no maps are found. Hmmm Oh well, lucky for me, I still have 17GB free on phone.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Sense says there is 3.5GB in maps, but no maps are found. Hmmm Oh well, lucky for me, I still have 17GB free on phone.

Storage sense kind of does not work with the beta version of Nokia storage check as far as reporting accurate data is concerned. I would say if you really want to move the maps to SD card first delete them using the regular method, then download storage check beta and then re download the maps, in this case download them to your storage card. I've currently used this method to store the entire 3.7 GB of USA map on my 32 GB micro SD on my Lumia 810 with 8GB of onboard memory

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Storage sense kind of does not work with the beta version of Nokia storage check as far as reporting accurate data is concerned. I would say if you really want to move the maps to SD card first delete them using the regular method, then download storage check beta and then re download the maps, in this case download them to your storage card. I've currently used this method to store the entire 3.7 GB of USA map on my 32 GB micro SD on my Lumia 810 with 8GB of onboard memory

Now my phone shows 3.75GB Maps in BOTH locations, even though I deleted the maps. Rebooting doesn't help, I can't seem to get to the right folder to make sure they are gone. WP doesn't seem to name them simple, just a bunch of numbers and junk.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I'd be interested in finding out a way to transfer maps also. I've re-downloaded everything and seem to have the maps on the phone but here drive plus on the card..?

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'd be interested in finding out a way to transfer maps also. I've re-downloaded everything and seem to have the maps on the phone but here drive plus on the card..?

Well Storage sense shows on just the phone (After a soft reset), and the Lumia Storage Check only shows it on the phone storage but no way to delete it. Grrr.... LOL

MartLea

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Running low on Phone storage on my Lumia 620 WP8.1 I also wanted to move my maps to SD Card so downloaded the Nokia Storage Check Beta app (only available in US Region so needed to first change to US Region/Language etc.) Got the app and deleted existing map (only one) then downloaded again to SD Card - takes ages but works. Map apps see it and use it OK. However Nokia Storage Check, MS Storage Sense and MS Storage Check all variously seem to show different sizes left on Phone/SD Card. For example Storage Sense still shows some 4.6 Mb left on Phone after deleting map from there. Works in progress me thinks.

andrea_zolfi

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Ohhh the happy days with Symbian, lost forever . . . now this so-called o.s. WesPit 0.8.1, you're right: mass memory management works BAAAD again and again, no way to move folders through a PC because "maps" folder is hidden, therefore no full compatibility with Windows itself, so the solution is: to crack this o.s. and modify it on user's need or . . . to buy a no-famous-branded Android phone!

N.B. Happyness is made by little things, but even the text keyboard is horrible: iPhone hooray!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes