Windows Phone 8.1 Official Release?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
So, obviously everyone who has upgraded to WP 8.1 developers preview are happy! We're BETA testing to make sure we get the best of the best...

The big question is when will the official WP 8.1 ( Nokia Cyan ) be released and in what countries?

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft sent the same 8.1 build to OEMs and people who registered for Dev preview. So the OEM (here Nokia) only adds some more software on top of the build (ex. upgrade the creative studio app) and does not change the core.

So i don't believe we are beta testing. (I could be wrong)

But complaints towards music, video, game apps can be resolved easily now because they are now a separate app that can be upgradable outside of whole system updates

Jean Sagarese

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
technically we are not beta testing it, we just got it early because we didn't want ot wait - I got it early because I have another year before I can upgrade and now it is like I have a whole new phone

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
It's not officially called a beta test but we have early access an we're the first to report bugs and that way they can fix the problems before the official release comes out...

The question was when is the official update released?

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
It's not officially called a beta test but we have early access an we're the first to report bugs and that way they can fix the problems before the official release comes out...

That's up to the OEM. If you are using a Lumia then keep checking the Nokia website. It will be after May or in June, I believe.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
There is no such thing as official release. If the news we all read is correct, the final bits are already in OEM's hands. They will then make changes to their firmware and release it on their own schedule. The actual schedule depends on phone makers and whether your phone is branded or not. If branded, you need further wait for the carrier to test and certify it before the release.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
It also depends on your carrier. I'm on Verizon which is normally late to the party when it comes to updates and releases. If its released in June I'm guessing August for me.

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Its funny how for many of us, we will not see the 8.1 update for months yet...after all the "hoopla" which includes all these new "see what 8.1 can do" threads are shoved to the back pages. Hopefully at some point this stuff will be condensed into a handful of threads for those who decided to wait.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site

The "official" update was released around April 10th. It was pushed to OEMs, who are making their own customizations. From there, it should land in the hands of the carriers probably late May (a safe bet is around the time the 930/630 launch, maybe a few weeks earlier), and then it'll start rolling out over summer.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
As has been said in this thread and others we are expecting the final OTA release to be around June to August depending on how quickly your carrier moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786