Purchasing Lumia 925; will it get Windows Phone 8.1?

RebeccaBatts

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm purchasing the Lumia 925 on thursday and I'm unsure if it will come with Windows 8.1. I am leaning towards the fact it may not and if so how do I get it on my device?

dsmpampis

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Purchasing Lumia 925; will it come with Windows 8.1?

No, it comes with 8.0 because the 8.1 it's a dev edition. To get the 8.1 you must have an account as dev, which is very easy and you have to download the app "preview for developers".

Tapatalked with my Lumia 920

RebeccaBatts

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Ohhh I see. So 8.1 has not been finalized yet. If I don't want to get a account as a dev, when could I expect to see the update released to my device in final version?

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I thought signing up for dev access would be a pita, but is easy. If you want to give 8.1 a spin go for it. Make sure you really want it tho. Be a good idea to research what people are calling issues with it to see if that'd be your issue as well. Good luck!

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Ohhh I see. So 8.1 has not been finalized yet. If I don't want to get a account as a dev, when could I expect to see the update released to my device in final version?

I'm sure you've read the forums about 8.1 preview already, if you're okay to miss a couple of the features until mid-summer just keep the wp8, however, I would actually recommend going straight to 8.1 as a new user, so you don't get too used to WP8 (there are quite a few changes that take a day or two getting used to when switching from 8 to 8.1) However, it's not completely stable, but 99% of things work just fine. Use the Nokia camera app though, Microsoft Camera on WP8.1 makes horrible photos.

Also the 925s were made a while ago, they're probably just moving stock and not making new ones, so it'll probably come with GDR2 (Amber) installed, which means there's plenty of updating ahead (GDR3 (black) and WP8.1).

Creating developer account is easy though, not even close to rooting and flashing on android.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm purchasing the Lumia 925 on thursday and I'm unsure if it will come with Windows 8.1. I am leaning towards the fact it may not and if so how do I get it on my device?
Just to note **
The new 925 may not have the "Black" firmware on it.

When my 925 got to me it updated twice.
The final phone firmware was the the latest update.
Took around 25 minutes with 2 restarts before the device was ready to use.

Your device may come with the latest however.
Just a bit of info for you.

RebeccaBatts

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
The reason I'm a tad nervous about installing dev 8.1 is because it voids my warranty on my brand new phone. I've never owned a Windows phone before but I'm thoroughly disappointed with Android (Samsung S3) purchased less than 3 months ago. I just want an OS that is smooth, simple and easy to use. I'm really looking forward to getting 8.1 for things like the action centre and Cortana if she comes to NZ. But, then theres the issue of a null and void warranty.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
The reason I'm a tad nervous about installing dev 8.1 is because it voids my warranty on my brand new phone. I've never owned a Windows phone before but I'm thoroughly disappointed with Android (Samsung S3) purchased less than 3 months ago. I just want an OS that is smooth, simple and easy to use. I'm really looking forward to getting 8.1 for things like the action centre and Cortana if she comes to NZ. But, then theres the issue of a null and void warranty.

Well, apparently, it (8.1 Dev Preview) will void your warranty. Best is probably stick with 8.0 and wait for your carrier to update it. You would be covered that way. If I were you, I would probably not want to muck around with the warranty regardless of the status of the OS (in this instance 8.1).

Editguy1900

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
For a device like the L925, I think it's fairly certain it will be updated by the carriers. Some have already stated that they will be updating and what devices they will update to 8.1 (ATT, T-mobile).

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Another thought:

It may be best to live with the official carrier firmware before joining the collective (meaning those of us that hurried into the developer preview.)
I say this because you have noted that this will be your first Windows phone.

I'm sure you've read around the forum a bit.

Some impacts of the 8.1 release have been things like:
Some popular 8.0 apps not being 8.1 compatible (I had one of these hoping the developer can figure it out)
Battery drains and overheats (925 in certain cases was a victim)
Unpopular changes with the photos and music hub.
Cortana not living up to expectations initially.
...etc.

Can't say I've been unhappy with the preview ... newer is sometimes better.

Just be advised if you do have problems you may not know if it's the phone or 8.1
I say tread carefully.
WP 8 on the Black firmware actually worked quite well.

Anyhow good luck and by the way welcome to WPC.

RebeccaBatts

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I contacted my carrier via Facebook and their reply was: Skinny Hey Rebecca, Generally the software update is pushed through by the software provider i.e. Windows/Microsoft. Most likely, you will receive a update notification when it is available for you

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I contacted my carrier via Facebook and their reply was: Skinny Hey Rebecca, Generally the software update is pushed through by the software provider i.e. Windows/Microsoft. Most likely, you will receive a update notification when it is available for you

Interesting! This means that your device will definitely be updated to 8.1 when it arrives (sometime over the summer). It will also be accompanied by a firmware update by Nokia (one is due from them - forget what its called - Amber or Cyan or something like that). In my personal opinion - and please remember that this is only my opinion - given that you are buying a new phone which will be covered by warranty, you should wait for the official update from MS and from Nokia. Yes, the changes in 8.1 are interesting, but this is only a Developer's Preview and thus will contain some bugs. You don't want to deal with that and MS also says - when you opt to download the Preview - that you may stand to lose your warranty and that you cannot roll back to 8.0 (though, I believe it is indeed possible to do so - if you are interested look around the forums here for the appropriate thread).

Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb