Stop asking: How to install WP8.1 on ANY WP8 device (+FAQ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xoxoGeorges

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I have seen this question thrown around everywhere so I need to set the record straight.

1. Register as a Dev: Sign in on the App Studio, the process is free and straightforward: use your regular Outlook/Hotmail/Live account.

2. Download the preview for Devs app from the Store, and install it.
Once installed, run the app and agree to the Terms and Conditions, sign-in using the Microsoft account you registered with as a developer. Then agree to enable Preview for Developers and click done to complete the process.

3. A: Download the preliminary update (8.0.10532.166) - It's a small update which prepares your phone for WP8.1, beware though, it's pretty lengthy so have a charger at hand to have juice for the big 8.1. (migrating takes ages)

3.B: Check the update in settings again and you will be prompted to install the real deal. It's a major update that runs around 500-750MBs (sorry no concrete number, an estimate from posted download times and speed). After the cog wheels stop (that will take some time) you will start migrating - migrating takes 17 steps, 15 of them take mere seconds, while 2 are lengthy, not as lengthy as the cog wheels though.
And Ta-da, enjoy your os overhaul!

FAQ: (Will be updated whenever important questions are mentioned)

If my phone runs WP8, will I be able to get WP8.1?
Yes, all WP8 devices (no exceptions, even the career exclusives) can run this Dev preview. So it means that all Nokia, HTC, Samsung and Huawei WP8 handsets are eligible.

If my phone runs WP7, will I be able to get WP8.1?
Get outta here.
Unless you own a HTC HD2 - you never know with that phone.

Will I get to keep glance on my Nokia?
Yep, glance is as good as always.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Understand the OP's point.
Nature of any forum is:
Always overlook the stickies or dare I say: search feature

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yup

Also agree with the OP. Hopmedic already created a similar thread HERE. We hope more people catch on and read it before asking these same questions repeatedly.

OP, your idea is great and very much appreciated, but because we also try to collect valuable information like this in one spot, I'll be closing this thread. If you feel something should be added to hopmedic's thread, please post there and I'm sure he'll be happy to add it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion