WP 8.1 developer preview OTA update release date

Status
Not open for further replies.

garry bryant

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi just wondering if anyone out there knows when the official update release date is available, i read it was this April now i read that its coming in the summer, was also wondering if its the summer is it worth me getting the developers preview on my lumia 820, and is it safe to use.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi just wondering if anyone out there knows when the official update release date is available, i read it was this April now i read that its coming in the summer, was also wondering if its the summer is it worth me getting the developers preview on my lumia 820, and is it safe to use.

Hey, there's is no official date :) people are even saying somewhere in june :/ I would just hold onto a summer arrival date lol.. You can update to 8.1 just check all the threads :)

Allan Kaliel

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Careful though, it'll void your warranty with your carrier and with Nokia. My wife just upgraded from an iPhone4 to a 1020, I installed the 8.1 update to make the transition for her easier. Now she's having an issue with the camera taking pictures all night long when it's plugged in charging (stuck button maybe? dunno). Anyway, both Rogers and Nokia confirmed to me that installing the update leaves me screwed. Even if the problem is hardware specific.

AlastorX50

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Take it to a Microsoft Store or to you're local rogers store. Highly doubt that they will look at what OS it is running. T-Mobile took my mothers 925 and didn't ask questions and sent her a new one.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Careful though, it'll void your warranty with your carrier and with Nokia. My wife just upgraded from an iPhone4 to a 1020, I installed the 8.1 update to make the transition for her easier. Now she's having an issue with the camera taking pictures all night long when it's plugged in charging (stuck button maybe? dunno). Anyway, both Rogers and Nokia confirmed to me that installing the update leaves me screwed. Even if the problem is hardware specific.

Use Nokia Software for Retail and reset it back to WP8.0 and then see if the issue is still prevalent. If there is a problem, take it back to Nokia for repairs under warranty:)

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Use Nokia Software for Retail and reset it back to WP8.0 and then see if the issue is still prevalent. If there is a problem, take it back to Nokia for repairs under warranty:)

How does that work exactly ? I used the preview for GDR3 and downloaded ( last October ) but wasn't sure that I wanted it, it was kinda buggy at first. I then plugged into NSU and it said there was an update available, it was Amber 3043.0000.1326.0017 which was the same as I had on my phone already -so what the heck I downloaded it and I still had GDR3... I think you mean something else don't you, maybe Nokia Recovery Tool or Care Suite ? because NSU doesn't do it.

csw43

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
How does that work exactly ? I used the preview for GDR3 and downloaded ( last October ) but wasn't sure that I wanted it, it was kinda buggy at first. I then plugged into NSU and it said there was an update available, it was Amber 3043.0000.1326.0017 which was the same as I had on my phone already -so what the heck I downloaded it and I still had GDR3... I think you mean something else don't you, maybe Nokia Recovery Tool or Care Suite ? because NSU doesn't do it.

Its the Nokia Software Recovery Tool. It will tell you its going to load the same software as is already on the phone, if you are running 8.1 DP it cant do that because its not available on Nokias servers. You will get a clean install of WP8 (Black). I have gone back to WP8 on both my 1020 and 1520 using this method

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Its the Nokia Software Recovery Tool. It will tell you its going to load the same software as is already on the phone, if you are running 8.1 DP it cant do that because its not available on Nokias servers. You will get a clean install of WP8 (Black). I have gone back to WP8 on both my 1020 and 1520 using this method
Is this the fix in NSU ? because I can't find a valid link to Nokia Software Recovery Tool -all the ones listed on WPC end up saying Error 404

Or this at Nokia, a 0: http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/software-recovery/

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
heard from a Nokia Wholesaler yesterday.
he said, WP8.1 is already been distributed to the Nokia Care Centers in India. but they are not making it public until the 630 launch i.e. 22nd May in India.
he received this info from the company itself while their meeting in last week. thus, we can expect official 8.1 release in India by this month-end.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Take it to a Microsoft Store or to you're local rogers store. Highly doubt that they will look at what OS it is running. T-Mobile took my mothers 925 and didn't ask questions and sent her a new one.

Exactly. Most people who work at these places have no clue. Although, the MS Store is more likely to look at it before doing a return. But they are also more likely to not care that your os is an early 8.1. I once was in there with my surface pro which was still under warranty, but my keyboard was from my surface RT and was out of warranty. I had a small issue with the keyboard, the MS Store guy just gave me a brand new type cover 2, that was an awesome day.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
heard from a Nokia Wholesaler yesterday.
he said, WP8.1 is already been distributed to the Nokia Care Centers in India. but they are not making it public until the 630 launch i.e. 22nd May in India.
he received this info from the company itself while their meeting in last week. thus, we can expect official 8.1 release in India by this month-end.
What does that have to do with installing the update? We don't get updates from 'care centers'. They get pushed out by the carriers. Even once officially released, some phones/networks won't get the update for a month or so after everyone else. (at least from past experiences) This time it's suppose to be faster.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
What does that have to do with installing the update? We don't get updates from 'care centers'. They get pushed out by the carriers. Even once officially released, some phones/networks won't get the update for a month or so after everyone else. (at least from past experiences) This time it's suppose to be faster.

there is a different scenario in India. In India, there is no concept called Carriers as phones are completely independent from the carriers. thus, ways for updating is OTA, update through NSU by yourself or through Care Center. Care Centers do it for free for those handsets which are in warranty, and is a very commonly used by noobs and all those who are not interested in taking efforts and risking the installation process hurdles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon