Surface Mini Is The Wrong Direction For Microsoft and WP8!!!

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
As you all know the next tech trend beginning to catch on is the "Phablet" trend as seen with the 1520 and Galaxy Note. Apple has taken notice and there's more than likely going to be a 5.5 inch screen iPhone 6 option. Apple historically has been the best predictor of future consumer demand trends in the tech market (from GUI, to iPods to touchscreens to the tablets). Apple predicts the ultra popular iPad mini sales will take a massive hit from their upcoming iPhone 6 phablet, so if Apple themselves think the number one selling tablet is going to have a hard time selling its mini versions in the rising large phone era, then what is Microsoft doing with the Surface mini?! When they are barely getting the regular Surfaces to sell.

With the Nokia devices acquisition Microsoft has all the tools to make the SURFACE PHONE (5.5-6" screen phablet) as the true WP flagship model to compete with the upcoming in house "Google Silver" premium android device. The Surface Mini I fear will be a huge liability and just take another loss. Imagine a Surface Phone made of VaporMG running full Windows 8.1 Pro as the ultimate device bridge between Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 in the new One Microsoft era. Something like a Snapdragon 805 is more than capable of running a full W8 OS with desktop x86 programs. The first true pocket PC that happens to also be a smartphone. How's that for product differentiation from Android and iOS's flagships!??? Businesses and serious tech people would love such a powerful device. Save the Nokia lineup for people who just want a smartphone and don't want to pay a premium device price. While the "Surface Phone Pro" drives interest and hopefully loyalty into the W8 and Microsoft ecosystem and create incentives for people looking for new PC's or Tablets to look to W8 devices for the convenience of familiarity.

Honestly who here wouldn't want to see (if not buy) a Surface Phone which essentially would bring the best of the W8 and WP8 worlds together?

ULOP3Z

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Surface phone would be awesome but come on dude a Surface mini wouldn't be an oversized WP, unlike what the iPad is to an iPhone

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Surface phone would be awesome but come on dude a Surface mini wouldn't be an oversized WP, unlike what the iPad is to an iPhone

Well I know the Surface Mini won't be an oversized WP but fact is, mini tablets seem to have peaked and the next boom is the Phablet. Phablet phone owners are going to be less likely to want a Mini tablet especially if they already own a regular sized tablet or laptop.

EwingMCSE

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Not sure about that. Most likely the type of consumer who wants a 6" phone isn't going to want a 7" tablet, but people like my wife who use a normal sized phone love tablets for reading, FaceBook and light web surfing. I got my wife a Kindle HD and she's addicted to that thing.

I'll try to get the family a Dell Venue Pro before too long.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Well ya the sales of 10+ inch tablets will be just fine it's just many different analysts inside and outside of Apple predicting the mini 7-8 inch tablets are going to take a nose dive with the continued rise of Phablets. The next iPhone for example will come in two sizes 4.7" and 5.5". Sub 4.5" flagship touchscreen smartphones is also dying 4.5-6" seems to be the current trend. The more popular large screen smartphones become the LESS popular smaller tablets will become. Why buy a mini tablet that's stuck in limbo between being a phone and being a fully capable full sized 10+ inch tablet?

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I have a 1520, but I love the 7-8" form factors for reading. Its just not the same for me, personally.
This is according to multiple different market analysts in the field, small tablets are going to get phased out in favor of slightly smaller large smartphones that can do everything a small tablet can plus be able to fit in most pockets and purses.

MazoMark

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Apple is no trendsetter on the phablet category. Samsung established it with the Note and is on their third iteration. However, there's no doubt the iSheep will buy the Apple version and pronounce it magical and declare it proof of Apple's innovative designers.
I'm not a phablet user, but do see potential for them to erode the 7 inch tablet sales to some degree. Personally, I prefer the 7 inch screen for reading and web surfing, but I'm sure some see the 5.5 inch phablet as a compromise device that can do it all.

Brad Lambert

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Well I know the Surface Mini won't be an oversized WP but fact is, mini tablets seem to have peaked and the next boom is the Phablet. Phablet phone owners are going to be less likely to want a Mini tablet especially if they already own a regular sized tablet or laptop.

I completely agree. The 7" tablet is an extremely attractive format, but my 1520 would render it moot..

Surface 2 + Lumia 1520 = Mobile Heaven

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I completely agree. The 7" tablet is an extremely attractive format, but my 1520 would render it moot..

Surface 2 + Lumia 1520 = Mobile Heaven

Exactly, the mini tablet becomes an unnecessary and senseless medium when sandwiched between large touchscreen smartphones and conventional sized tablets and laptops. The more people with 4.5+ inch phones the smaller the mini tablet market will become.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Apple is no trendsetter on the phablet category. Samsung established it with the Note and is on their third iteration. However, there's no doubt the iSheep will buy the Apple version and pronounce it magical and declare it proof of Apple's innovative designers.
I'm not a phablet user, but do see potential for them to erode the 7 inch tablet sales to some degree. Personally, I prefer the 7 inch screen for reading and web surfing, but I'm sure some see the 5.5 inch phablet as a compromise device that can do it all.

I never claimed Apple is a trend setter they just historically have had a knack for jumping on technological bandwagons at the perfect time and running away with billions. People love to *** kiss Apple and if they release a 5.5" iPhone 6 then the whole Phablet segment will no longer be a niche. If Apple anticipates that iPad minis will fall off as a result then lesser selling Android and W8 mini tablets likely won't fair well either.

rluka

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
8 to 6 inch would be nice either way.

One thing for sure is, for me, I don't want my mini tablet/phablet to use WP, had my phone for that. It has to be Windows into they really merge the OS

MazoMark

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I never claimed Apple is a trend setter they just historically have had a knack for jumping on technological bandwagons at the perfect time and running away with billions. People love to *** kiss Apple and if they release a 5.5" iPhone 6 then the whole Phablet segment will no longer be a niche. If Apple anticipates that iPad minis will fall off as a result then lesser selling Android and W8 mini tablets likely won't fair well either.

I was reacting to your statement in opening post that Apple is best predictor of future consumer demand trends in tech. Sorry if I misinterpreted.

I don't think I'd call phablets a niche segment. Samsung has sold over 40 million Note 1 & 2 models. Add in the Note 3 sales and they have probably sold well over 50 million While not as large as iPhone or Samsung Galaxy sales, that's a big number.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad