The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-31-2015 07:25 PM
277 ... 89101112
tools
    Again, Blackberry was legacy. Its own closed system. In order to make a lasting imprint on anything you have to make calculated moves. MSFT isn't looking at catching Android..they're looking at Apple. One thing we know is neither Androids or Apples market share is growing. Yet WP is. So you ask what is 8% to Apples 20%? Its no longer 20%. If Android maintains their share and WP grows, something has to give. The current trend is the while both WP and Android have seen increases, Apple has seen decreases. Now the numbers my seem miniscule, but its the principle that a system of circumstances has started to occur that speaks well for WP. 8% for WP could mean 16% for Apple. Those numbers don't seem so daunting now. There's more signs to suggest WP will continue to increase in popularity than Apple will. I don't think MSFT would mind being second in a mobile market while owning the desktop one.
    05-21-2014 11:32 PM
    Again, Blackberry was legacy. Its own closed system. In order to make a lasting imprint on anything you have to make calculated moves. MSFT isn't looking at catching Android..they're looking at Apple. One thing we know is neither Androids or Apples market share is growing. Yet WP is. So you ask what is 8% to Apples 20%? Its no longer 20%. If Android maintains their share and WP grows, something has to give. The current trend is the while both WP and Android have seen increases, Apple has seen decreases. Now the numbers my seem miniscule, but its the principle that a system of circumstances has started to occur that speaks well for WP. 8% for WP could mean 16% for Apple. Those numbers don't seem so daunting now. There's more signs to suggest WP will continue to increase in popularity than Apple will. I don't think MSFT would mind being second in a mobile market while owning the desktop one.
    Blackberry was legacy. But their main problem was following the trends in the market.

While Apple and BlackBerry is decreasing, Android is increasing while WP is increasing. This tells me that the main platform people are jumping to is Android. Why only Android? The 520/521 being the most popular wouldn't be a devices someone on Android would jump to so I can only infer that WP is gaining from non smartphone people. And I think that was Nokia's plan from the beginning. Get market share, get repeat customers etc. Android is growing more than ever on the high end and WP is growing at lower price points.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    Attached Thumbnails 7351.jpg  
    05-22-2014 06:36 AM
    Yes, there is a big app gap.
    /thread
    05-22-2014 07:12 AM
    That's obvious. We're talking figuratively.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    05-22-2014 11:02 PM
    Blackberry was legacy. But their main problem was following the trends in the market.

While Apple and BlackBerry is decreasing, Android is increasing while WP is increasing. This tells me that the main platform people are jumping to is Android. Why only Android? The 520/521 being the most popular wouldn't be a devices someone on Android would jump to so I can only infer that WP is gaining from non smartphone people. And I think that was Nokia's plan from the beginning. Get market share, get repeat customers etc. Android is growing more than ever on the high end and WP is growing at lower price points.

thats not true its more people who get frustrated with ios and android who switch
    your generalising and speaking about stuff on paper not real world
    05-23-2014 03:42 AM
    thats not true its more people who get frustrated with ios and android who switch
    your generalising and speaking about stuff on paper not real world
    Considering the fact that the 520/521 ate the most popular WP in the U.S. and seeing the small gain for WP market share, and the fact iOS is losing market share and Android is gaining market share as well, I think my projections are pretty spot on.

I thought this was a good thing? WP is growing, albeit at lower price points as compared to the high end.

05-23-2014 05:53 AM
    Just wait until the 630/930 drops. They're already saying it combines the most powerful specs for the price. Android is increasing ever so slowly. WP is increasing faster. Remember 8.1 is just now official with the 630 so you know you'll see a spike for WP. The key is to offset the excitement for the iPhone 6, that it still shows WP increase even after Apple drops their new flagship phone.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    05-23-2014 08:09 AM
    Just wait until the 630/930 drops. They're already saying it combines the most powerful specs for the price. Android is increasing ever so slowly. WP is increasing faster. Remember 8.1 is just now official with the 630 so you know you'll see a spike for WP. The key is to offset the excitement for the iPhone 6, that it still shows WP increase even after Apple drops their new flagship phone.
    Once the 630 does drop it will be compared heavily to the Moto G. They are in the same price bracket. The 930 considering the specs is not bad. But a 801 Snapdragon instead of 800 would have really made a statement. Considering the 920, 1020, and 1520 were AT&T exclusives, this will definitely be exclusive to AT&T. It might hit T-Mobile thought they have been devoted to selling Android and iOS lately.

05-23-2014 08:25 AM
    Considering the fact that the 520/521 ate the most popular WP in the U.S. and seeing the small gain for WP market share, and the fact iOS is losing market share and Android is gaining market share as well, I think my projections are pretty spot on.

I thought this was a good thing? WP is growing, albeit at lower price points as compared to the high end.

wp is a fairly new os, it needs time to gain that much marketshare but given the woes of android(lag in cheaper devices,malware) and ios (cartoonish interface since ios 7,defective buttons and batteries) , it should happen soon
    im not saying wp is the best or something but people will want something new and different once they get tired of the hassles of the older tried and tested ones
    05-23-2014 09:36 AM
    Once the 630 does drop it will be compared heavily to the Moto G. They are in the same price bracket. The 930 considering the specs is not bad. But a 801 Snapdragon instead of 800 would have really made a statement. Considering the 920, 1020, and 1520 were AT&T exclusives, this will definitely be exclusive to AT&T. It might hit T-Mobile thought they have been devoted to selling Android and iOS lately.

lumia 630 is a bit of a love-hate sorta phone, it hasnt really replaced the 520/525 at all and is a bit overpriced but since people will be willing to spend that much, the 730 , 530 or whatever other phone will enter that range, it should make up for it
    lumia 630 is a dual sim making it a great option for some(not me , i hate dual sim phones)
    the best example is the wp8 gen of devices- 520,525,620,625,720(and later on 820 and 920) all had price drops here and there and were(/are) in the same price range as moto g
    moto g doesnt have an micro sd card so its a drawback for many of my ow friends who bought phones like micromax , samsung etc only to regret it later and are now looking at the 930,moto x etc
    05-23-2014 09:42 AM
    wp is a fairly new os, it needs time to gain that much marketshare but given the woes of android(lag in cheaper devices,malware) and ios (cartoonish interface since ios 7,defective buttons and batteries) , it should happen soon
    im not saying wp is the best or something but people will want something new and different once they get tired of the hassles of the older tried and tested ones
    Buy the things you said are not true. Android has fixed "lag" and malware is such a small problem that is overblown. The iOS stuff you said is completely subjective.

Again, the market is run by trends right now and WP does not have the apps to keep up. And they were never popular to begin with. Unless WP gets the apps other platforms has, people will continue to ignore it.

mary beth hale likes this.
    05-23-2014 10:54 AM
    lumia 630 is a bit of a love-hate sorta phone, it hasnt really replaced the 520/525 at all and is a bit overpriced but since people will be willing to spend that much, the 730 , 530 or whatever other phone will enter that range, it should make up for it
    lumia 630 is a dual sim making it a great option for some(not me , i hate dual sim phones)
    the best example is the wp8 gen of devices- 520,525,620,625,720(and later on 820 and 920) all had price drops here and there and were(/are) in the same price range as moto g
    moto g doesnt have an micro sd card so its a drawback for many of my ow friends who bought phones like micromax , samsung etc only to regret it later and are now looking at the 930,moto x etc
    They all had price drops because they are old. Your friends didn't get a Moto G because of the micro SD slot, yet they are looking at devices without a micro SD slot?

05-23-2014 11:00 AM
    Buy the things you said are not true. Android has fixed "lag" and malware is such a small problem that is overblown. The iOS stuff you said is completely subjective.

Again, the market is run by trends right now and WP does not have the apps to keep up. And they were never popular to begin with. Unless WP gets the apps other platforms has, people will continue to ignore it.

whatever you said isnt true
    android still has alot of malware and lag is seen in every device except nexus and moto devices
    wp has all the necessary apps, it has quality instead of quantity
    the same way-"good graphics doesnt mean a goog game" even mario is still played by millions even today same way you dont need the extras usually, who needs millions of fart apps??
    people dont ignore it, people follow fads of android piracy and iphone's rich status these days mostly
    windows phone 8.1 is gonna bash android and ios once it has its bug fixes etc infact its very close to that
    last weeks update itself fixed battery life and overheating etc
    you dont even own a wp and you wanna talk about its cons!! thats generalising,get that icon you said you wanna buy then post
    05-23-2014 11:45 AM
    They all had price drops because they are old. Your friends didn't get a Moto G because of the micro SD slot, yet they are looking at devices without a micro SD slot?

seriously?? dude 930 has 32gb inbuilt storage
    do you get the difference between 8/16gb and 32gb??
    05-23-2014 11:46 AM
    seriously?? dude 930 has 32gb inbuilt storage
    do you get the difference between 8/16gb and 32gb??
    I know the difference perfectly, but that has nothing to do with what I said and what you previously.

05-23-2014 12:47 PM
    whatever you said isnt true
    android still has alot of malware and lag is seen in every device except nexus and moto devices
    wp has all the necessary apps, it has quality instead of quantity
    the same way-"good graphics doesnt mean a goog game" even mario is still played by millions even today same way you dont need the extras usually, who needs millions of fart apps??
    people dont ignore it, people follow fads of android piracy and iphone's rich status these days mostly
    windows phone 8.1 is gonna bash android and ios once it has its bug fixes etc infact its very close to that
    last weeks update itself fixed battery life and overheating etc
    you dont even own a wp and you wanna talk about its cons!! thats generalising,get that icon you said you wanna buy then post
    You can say whatever you want, but malware on Android is such an overblown issue, that discussing it is stupid.

Quality over quantity? Aren't you the same people who complain about apps like WhatsApp or Spotify haven't gotten updated in a long time? Please, its not the numbers and you know that. Its about having all the new and popular apps that other platforms have.

Windows Phone 8.1 is a good update but it brings it to parity with iOS and Android not surpass either in any meaningful way.

If anything YOU are generalizing. You can't tell me nothing new about a platform that I have used and use still for almost 4 years. From Android 2.1 Eclair to 4.4.2. KitKat, I have experienced all the different versions of Android (Samsung, LG, HTC, and Motorola).

ScottGeek likes this.
    05-23-2014 12:53 PM
    You can say whatever you want, but malware on Android is such an overblown issue, that discussing it is stupid.

Quality over quantity? Aren't you the same people who complain about apps like WhatsApp or Spotify haven't gotten updated in a long time? Please, its not the numbers and you know that. Its about having all the new and popular apps that other platforms have.

Windows Phone 8.1 is a good update but it brings it to parity with iOS and Android not surpass either in any meaningful way.

If anything YOU are generalizing. You can't tell me nothing new about a platform that I have used and use still for almost 4 years. From Android 2.1 Eclair to 4.4.2. KitKat, I have experienced all the different versions of Android (Samsung, LG, HTC, and Motorola).

Interesting topic... App gap... there will always be those that measure this gap by raw numbers and numbers of who does an app for that pop culture mobile "must have"... it was the same when Android was racing with Apple (nothing like having 1000's of quality "fart" apps). But then as Android grabbed market share... pop culture drove an increase in the number of "must have" apps for Android... it only makes sense. Lots of people touch FB, Twitter... Spotify... etc etc. If you are going to sell phones, people want those "must haves".

It should be looked at as an "acceptance" in the market gap... go to any social, news, or any other popular cyber thingy on the web and look for that site's "APP". Now days you will find the two dominate players... Apple and Android. That seems a bit less at the moment for Windows... as example... Weight Watchers(WW)... I suspect everyone has heard of them, yes? Yeap, got an Apple app to scan and count points... Yeap, got an Android does the same... But where's the Windows App? Well, obvious there's not enough Windows phones in the wild for WW to do a native app... not enough ROI for them pay a developer to create one... and this is the way it always starts... it's not how it finishes though.

IMHO, Windows will get there... when and to what degree? I'm not sure that's known yet.... there is an edge in which it happens... After all, remember when the fruit device fan boyz where stomping about proclaiming their app store was the only real one? Ya... things change.

~ScottGeek.
    05-23-2014 02:00 PM
    android still has alot of malware
    Users don't care, even if it were true. You probably don't care about malware either. You use a Windows PC, right?
    A895 and FinancialP like this.
    05-23-2014 05:28 PM

The reason why malware is a mute point on Android is for the very reason I say WP will continue to increase in market share at the expense of Apple and Android, and that's because what impact does Android have on enterprise...next to nothing. The threat is why big business stays away from it. In the eyes of enterprise it's a souped up smartphone ecosystem and a breeding ground for those given the autonomy to build software that compromises security. WP provides that security and the ease of understanding an ecosystem most are familiar with, while incorporating a user experience that bridges the gap between enterprise and entertainment like no other ecosystem can.
    05-23-2014 10:00 PM

The reason why malware is a mute point on Android is for the very reason I say WP will continue to increase in market share at the expense of Apple and Android, and that's because what impact does Android have on enterprise...next to nothing. The threat is why big business stays away from it. In the eyes of enterprise it's a souped up smartphone ecosystem and a breeding ground for those given the autonomy to build software that compromises security. WP provides that security and the ease of understanding an ecosystem most are familiar with, while incorporating a user experience that bridges the gap between enterprise and entertainment like no other ecosystem can.
    05-23-2014 10:00 PM
    Again enterprise is niche, some businesses use Android devices most don't. Enterprise won't break Android whether they use it or not.

05-24-2014 04:28 AM
    Tell me a big business that uses Android. Also tell me why most don't.
    05-24-2014 09:11 AM
    Tell me a big business that uses Android.
    Yahoo: http://www.citeworld.com/article/211...s-do-same.html

Also tell me why most don't.
    They have tin foil hats. Honestly, Android is more enterprise ready than WP. Things like VPN are just NOW hitting WP, and at that 8.1 is still not ready OTA for regular people.
    05-24-2014 09:30 AM
    You missed my point. I agree with you about Android being more enterprise ready but enterprises won't be using WP as their primary driver. They'll be using Windows, and that's where Android falls short. WP is an extension of a higher capacity OS, which is MS vision. Like I said before Android is a smartphone OS on steroids. Which from a security perspective is only a concern from a mobile ecosystem perspective. What databases and mainframes utilize Android on a corporate level? What institutions of higher learning utilize Android software on a large scale? WP isn't trying to replace Windows for enterprise, they're trying to allow the enterprise experience to be transient. Android has to decide if it wants to take on enterprise on a large scale like iOS and Windows. That's the market share that they're non-existent in.
    05-24-2014 09:45 AM
    You missed my point. I agree with you about Android being more enterprise ready but enterprises won't be using WP as their primary driver. They'll be using Windows, and that's where Android falls short. WP is an extension of a higher capacity OS, which is MS vision. Like I said before Android is a smartphone OS on steroids. Which from a security perspective is only a concern from a mobile ecosystem perspective. What databases and mainframes utilize Android on a corporate level? What institutions of higher learning utilize Android software on a large scale? WP isn't trying to replace Windows for enterprise, they're trying to allow the enterprise experience to be transient. Android has to decide if it wants to take on enterprise on a large scale like iOS and Windows. That's the market share that they're non-existent in.
    WP is not there yet. Android is just as useful as WP for syncing with Microsoft services. The only thing that WP may have is universal apps and that is limited right now. As of right now, there is no clear reason why a business would use WP over Android or iOS.

This also going on the assumption that Business are utilizing Windows 8.1+ on their computers.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    05-24-2014 11:50 AM
277 ... 89101112