The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-31-2015 07:25 PM
277 1234 ...
tools
    Not every app but wp need flipbboard it is great app.they have it on their Windows 8.1.Anyway I want to say wp is the best is as far as low end nd mid end phone is concerned. But then why it has nit conquered low end.we want 5inch low end phone from wp.even Nokia xl is 5 inch.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    05-04-2014 08:37 AM
    There will always be an app gap. All it takes is having a popular game/app not available on Windows Phone and the bull**** begins.

What you should do is telling those people, "so, how good is Halo: Spartan Assault, right? Oh, you mean it's not available on your iPhone/Android? That's too bad, it's a pity your Android/iOS has such an app gap..."

Windows Phone is getting it's share of exclusive apps. I for one can't live without Readit.

TL;DR:The app gap already goes both ways, it's no longer one-sided. Remind people of that. Especially dumb reviewers.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    05-04-2014 09:13 AM
    There will always be an app gap. All it takes is having a popular game/app not available on Windows Phone and the bull**** begins.

What you should do is telling those people, "so, how good is Halo: Spartan Assault, right? Oh, you mean it's not available on your iPhone/Android? That's too bad, it's a pity your Android/iOS has such an app gap..."

Windows Phone is getting it's share of exclusive apps. I for one can't live without Readit.

TL;DR:The app gap already goes both ways, it's no longer one-sided. Remind people of that. Especially dumb reviewers.
    Readit is third party app fro Reddit which there is an abundance of on other platforms so that does not work as an argument. Exclusives=/=app gap, it never did.
    05-04-2014 09:19 AM
    Readit is third party app fro Reddit which there is an abundance of on other platforms so that does not work as an argument. Exclusives=/=app gap, it never did.
    Thank you for bringing that up. Because that's exactly the problem that never made any sense.

> "There's no app "X" on Windows Phone".
    - "You can use app "Y" on Windows Phone, which is as good or better than "X"
    > But I want app "X", so Windows Phone sucks and there's too much of an app gap.

C'mon, that has always been bull****.

Same with the argument of official applications. Windows Phone has truly fantastic third-party apps which are just as good or better than the official app on Android/iOS.

But as long as the official doesn't arrive on Windows Phone, there's an app gap. That never made sense.

Sure, there are missing apps with no third party alternatives. But why do you think Candy Crush Saga doesn't come to Windows Phone? It's not lack of demand or market that justifies development. No, it's exactly the same reason as to why Google won't release proper apps for Windows Phone.
    a5cent, BobLobIaw, filfat and 3 others like this.
    05-04-2014 09:37 AM
    I dislike iOS as much as anyone, and don't like Android either, but this post is full of crap. There are many popular games that either never make it to the platform or come via clones/terrible ports (Words With Friends). It's certainly gotten better overall, but the gap is still noticeable to those who want/need those apps.
    tgp, A895 and Julian_C like this.
    05-04-2014 09:46 AM
    Yeah, and you can make that argument, which is totally valid. Windows Phone has been playing catch-up since launch, which is absolutely normal and it's coming along great. The app gap is narrower every month.

What is stupid is buying a Windows Phone knowing that you don't have certain apps/games and then coming to the forums complaining about it, which is what keeps happening. "Windows Phone is great, but I'm moving back to iOS/Android because of the app gap". Seriously, how many goddamn threads like that do we need?

It doesn't matter if a game is not exclusive to iOS or Android. If it's available on both, but not on Windows Phone, it doesn't make sense buying a WP and then complaining that the game is not available on it. Because that is exactly like buying an Android or an iOS device and then going to the forums complaining the market doesn't have Halo: Spartan Assault.
    a5cent and cckgz4 like this.
    05-04-2014 09:51 AM
    I'm not a gamer so app gap (if there is somehow) is not an issue for me. I do not need other useless apps too. Flashlight, for instance, there are like 15 of them on WP but they're all working fine. I mean, at least there's assurance. Coming from an Android phone, I can say that I miss the diversity of the PlayStore (compared to Windows Store) and it's just good to know that, "hey, I got this app from the PlayStore" and, "wow, let me download". Just the thought that you CAN get anything at all, is great, but every since I changed to WP I am very satisfied. I'm not an Apple fan either, all they do is go to court and sell expensive stuff. Android is budget-friendly but is too laggy. There's no comparing to Windows Phone's animations and its fluidity. Windows Phone is an eye-catcher in public, and you wouldn't see much of it so I'm proud that I have a unique and different phone. And integral apps are pretty good. (except Twitter and Facebook).
    05-04-2014 09:58 AM
    I'm not a gamer so app gap (if there is somehow) is not an issue for me. I do not need other useless apps too. Flashlight, for instance, there are like 15 of them on WP but they're all working fine. I mean, at least there's assurance. Coming from an Android phone, I can say that I miss the diversity of the PlayStore (compared to Windows Store) and it's just good to know that, "hey, I got this app from the PlayStore" and, "wow, let me download". Just the thought that you CAN get anything at all, is great, but every since I changed to WP I am very satisfied. I'm not an Apple fan either, all they do is go to court and sell expensive stuff. Android is budget-friendly but is too laggy. There's no comparing to Windows Phone's animations and its fluidity. Windows Phone is an eye-catcher in public, and you wouldn't see much of it so I'm proud that I have a unique and different phone. And integral apps are pretty good. (except Twitter and Facebook).

Dudeee.app gap?it's huge .maybe its not in the sense of the number of apps but it is in official apps and more so in the QUALITY of apps.basic apps like WhatsApp is laggy hangs doesn't notify is damn slow.music players ain't appropriate they are slow.facebook doesn't show the recent updates from friends .it doesn't properly upload photos.the apps are PRIMITIVE.to say the least.m on wp just with hope .hope that some day things will get better.but what is true is true.there is no comparison between iOS android and wp.wp stands NOWWHERE.to hell with fluidity if I cant use WhatsApp and fb properly.
    05-04-2014 10:06 AM
    Dudeee.app gap?it's huge .maybe its not in the sense of the number of apps but it is in official apps and more so in the QUALITY of apps.basic apps like WhatsApp is laggy hangs doesn't notify is damn slow.music players ain't appropriate they are slow.facebook doesn't show the recent updates from friends .it doesn't properly upload photos.the apps are PRIMITIVE.to say the least.m on wp just with hope .hope that some day things will get better.but what is true is true.there is no comparison between iOS android and wp.wp stands NOWWHERE.to hell with fluidity if I cant use WhatsApp and fb properly.
    Then get the hell out of here and get yourself an Android. And come back and tell us if WhatsApp is working for you. I don't need WhatsApp so I don't care 😊 Facebook and Twitter for WP 8.1 is now on beta so THERE IS hope. At least all of us is getting an update, Android is known for ditching
    05-04-2014 10:10 AM
    ...the Facebook Beta app on WP works better than FB on iOS and Android.
    You've almost certainly never used Facebook's Paper. It completely blows every other Facebook app out of the water. What about WP's Facebook Beta is better to you? Heres a screenshot for you:

2014-05-04-11.06.45.jpg

All the key social, news, business and locale apps are there.
    Not true. Not even close.
    Last edited by Ivin Laney; 05-04-2014 at 10:35 AM.
    A895, Jack Janik and mayconvert like this.
    05-04-2014 10:16 AM
    As much as I love WP I am not blind enough to not admit there is still an app issue. My 14 year old daughter with a Lumia 521 reminds me of this all the time. Her friends on iOS and Android tell her of apps all the time and she can't get them or the ones we have are horrible such as Kik. However I am not buying a 14 year old a $600-$800 phone just so she can play the latest game or app fad. A $80.00 Lumia 521 and the $30 a month T-mobile plan is a fantastic value. Yes there is an app issue but there are also big advantages going with Windows Phone that kind of make up for it.
    Jack Janik likes this.
    05-04-2014 10:18 AM
    At least it's bulletproof!!
    Lol 😁 kidding, yeah there is app gap, OKAY 👌
    Jack Janik likes this.
    05-04-2014 10:28 AM
    People are stupid... therefore they're easy to win over with base quantities without even considering what actually matters.
    This is why you have derps that listen to Consumer Reports and shop for computers based off what has the highest clock speed.

...my droid friends ask how I deal with having so many less apps, then I proceed to show them that there's no major services I'm lacking and get them up-to-date since the majority of people talking about the app gap haven't been following news closely enough to realize just how great WP's growth is.

Rudy Huyn has given us alternatives to apps that are actually better than the official apps, the Facebook Beta app on WP works better than FB on iOS and Android. All the key social, news, business and locale apps are there. The Nokia HERE suite has actually even converted me from being the total Google Maps fanboy I was. The moment I thought to complain about lacking a US Bank app, we got something even better - Mint which allows me to not only keep tabs on my US Bank (without having to constantly login) but see how much I have to pay on college loans and tie in multiple other accounts.

I'm still able to do everything I did on my droid and iPhone. Still streaming my Google Play Music library. Only thing that's really bothersome is the situation with Xbox Live. Neither Apple's GameCenter nor Google Play Game Services require devs to jump through the hoops they have to on Windows Phone. There's a lot of games I really want to play, but refrain from playing because they aren't XBL games... and reforming the mobile XBL experience is something Microsoft needs to work on. If people are having more fun on their phones, people who want to have fun will be attracted to the platform and development will flourish.
    No even quality wise, WP loses out. I do follow on app updates and releases, and it is growing yes, but not the same quality as apps in iOS or Android yet. For example, apps such as Candy Crush, or local company apps, or bank apps not in the US.

Some people instead just say: "Why do you need those apps," or "Why play that game, you're such a child," and OP's saying, "A wine tasting app? Who needs a wine tasting app?" They choose to be ignorant and generalize that people only need the apps they use, and downplay famous apps that aren't in WP. Each individual has different needs, and trying to say that "Oh I use these apps and am content with it, therefore the app ecosystem is the best," is just a really narrow point of view. Claiming that an OS and its apps are great from only your point of view is flawed. Not everyone is the same as you, different people have different needs, and the apps in WP couldn't suffice the general public.

The main point I am trying to convey is that WP HAS the app gap, that is the main reason why WP isn't dominating right now. The devs are lazy to make apps for WP and the media and general public view WP with a scorn. Why? Because of the app gap. Compare the OS of iOS, Android, and WP, WP would win by far, yet the thing holding it back is apps. Imagine if all the great apps were in WP, they would be the one dominating right now. The users of mobile phones aren't only restricted in the West, the majority of the market and the users is in the East. WP sure served the US well, and perhaps India, but how about other countries? In my country, banks all have payment through phone, but the apps are all in Android and iOS, none have WP. Similar to banks of other countries I visit, their advertisement only has the logo "Available on the Android," or "Available on iOS", there is no "Available in WP."
    A895, a5cent and prasath1234 like this.
    05-04-2014 10:50 AM
    No even quality wise, WP loses out. I do follow on app updates and releases, and it is growing yes, but not the same quality as apps in iOS or Android yet. For example, apps such as Candy Crush, or local company apps, or bank apps not in the US.

Some people instead just say: "Why do you need those apps," or "Why play that game, you're such a child," and OP's saying, "A wine tasting app? Who needs a wine tasting app?" They choose to be ignorant and generalize that people only need the apps they use, and downplay famous apps that aren't in WP. Each individual has different needs, and trying to say that "Oh I use these apps and am content with it, therefore the app ecosystem is the best," is just a really narrow point of view. Claiming that an OS and its apps are great from only your point of view is flawed. Not everyone is the same as you, different people have different needs, and the apps in WP couldn't suffice the general public.

The main point I am trying to convey is that WP HAS the app gap, that is the main reason why WP isn't dominating right now. The devs are lazy to make apps for WP and the media and general public view WP with a scorn. Why? Because of the app gap. Compare the OS of iOS, Android, and WP, WP would win by far, yet the thing holding it back is apps. Imagine if all the great apps were in WP, they would be the one dominating right now. The users of mobile phones aren't only restricted in the West, the majority of the market and the users is in the East. WP sure served the US well, and perhaps India, but how about other countries? In my country, banks all have payment through phone, but the apps are all in Android and iOS, none have WP. Similar to banks of other countries I visit, their advertisement only has the logo "Available on the Android," or "Available on iOS", there is no "Available in WP."
    We will never close the app gap. Ever. Not even in a billion years. Why? Because it's cool to hate MS. This means that developers and tech journalists will always snuff their nose at WP. Without the apps and good press, WP can't grow to become dominant. Without the users we can't get the apps. It's an ever perpetuating cycle. MS can't afford to pay every developer for every major app needed in the world. They'd need massive payments and there's millions of those big name apps that people need.
    05-04-2014 10:55 AM
    There is an "app gap" for some people. If all you are doing is checking email, surfing the web, and doing some social media Windows Phone is fine. It's also nice if you use office and like to take pictures if you have a 1020 or 1520. But as has been mentioned there are a lot of niche apps that simply aren't there. The lack of eprocates loses a lot of people in the medical profession. I was looking at someone's sweet Sonos setup. They could control it from their phone. Checked to see if Windows Phone was supported and of course no. That's the type of thing that keeps me from telling people to get Windows Phone. If people aren't that technically minded an only need a few of the major apps then I tell them to get the phone. But if they need epocrates, Sonos, US Airways app etc. I tell them to steer clear. Now if someone complains about a wine tasting app I just ignore them.
    05-04-2014 11:01 AM
    Thank you for bringing that up. Because that's exactly the problem that never made any sense.

> "There's no app "X" on Windows Phone".
    - "You can use app "Y" on Windows Phone, which is as good or better than "X"
    > But I want app "X", so Windows Phone sucks and there's too much of an app gap.

C'mon, that has always been bull****.

Same with the argument of official applications. Windows Phone has truly fantastic third-party apps which are just as good or better than the official app on Android/iOS.

But as long as the official doesn't arrive on Windows Phone, there's an app gap. That never made sense.

Sure, there are missing apps with no third party alternatives. But why do you think Candy Crush Saga doesn't come to Windows Phone? It's not lack of demand or market that justifies development. No, it's exactly the same reason as to why Google won't release proper apps for Windows Phone.
    It's not bull**** actually, it's human nature. You know what comes with apps made originally from the company itself? Trust. You don't want to download some app, just to find out that that app stole money from your credit card. Or pay for an app, just to find out how shi**y it is. It's not easy to convince someone to blindly trust a 3rd party app, as you don't have personal assurance that the app will function well. For example, the official Amazon app vs. some Third-party-pseudo Amazon app. If you buy something from your phone, and the item didn't arrive but your credit card was charged, you can still claim your money back from Amazon through contacting them. The third-party-pseudo app? Your money's gone, bye-bye. You complain to Amazon, and they say they can't payback for the damages due to it being your fault for downloading an unofficial app not made by them.

There are some great alternatives though, especially 6tag and those other apps, but a person from a different OS will think otherwise. Only people in WP would know about those apps, and will only read the comment and reviews of those apps if they need it. Basically an alternative is like a 50-50 chance of a scam/crappy quality app, or a great and prominent app. You don't get that in Android and iOS, as you can read the plethora of comments served by other customers. WP just doesn't have the amount of consumers Android and iOS has, so the comments/reviews aren't as much. The app gap is real, though it's been better compared to previous years, but it still exists.

It doesn't exist both ways though, as an exclusive app such as "Halo: Spartan Assault" is only one compared to many other exclusives of iOS and Android that aren't available in WP. Also, if you invest in WP, the profit gained would be lower than that compared to Android or iOS, meaning that not as much people would invest then (looking at the devs). Remember that humans are driven to gain the highest profit of all, and a logical approach to a situation is to gain the highest profit which WP could not give right now.
    A895 and prasath1234 like this.
    05-04-2014 11:10 AM
    The problem are the LOCAL apps. Local bus service, cinema, shopping, post office....i dont know, stuff like that. These little but still important apps make the difference.
    Yes! These apps are the problem, but It is not up to MS to make these apps, It's up to their respective companies.... And if MS starts to advertise decently these ads will draw attention from the bigger names in app development - if the bigger names come so do the little ones.... (it's like herd logic, where the big kahuna goes so do all the others).
    MS doesn't treat WP as it should, I mean this is their OS they are supposed to treat like a king, but they are treating it like child a with downs syndrome (no insult intended).
    And before someone starts it's still in development bla bla... think about it... they've had about how much time again... It's time for them to bring their A GAME.... Bis bald
    05-04-2014 11:23 AM
    We will never close the app gap. Ever. Not even in a billion years. Why? Because it's cool to hate MS. This means that developers and tech journalists will always snuff their nose at WP. Without the apps and good press, WP can't grow to become dominant. Without the users we can't get the apps. It's an ever perpetuating cycle. MS can't afford to pay every developer for every major app needed in the world. They'd need massive payments and there's millions of those big name apps that people need.
    It might be cool to hate MS, but the fact is that it's the money that drives people to develop apps.

For independent apps, it's "how much can I make in return for my time and effort to build an app?" For businesses, it's "how much extra am I going to spend to develop an app for 3% of the market and how much is the lack of support costing me?"

Let's face it: all you have to do is read this thread to realize that a lot of WP users are willing to be a part of that 3% and ignore any specific app that isn't available. For the most part, they use a browser or 3rd party work-around, so the impact to businesses isn't that great. That includes official apps being years old with no updates. For example, the Audible app is terrible compared with it's Android Version (I've never had iOS, so I can't make that comparison), and when I was on Android the app was updated regularly. The WP Audible app crashes and loses my place CONSTANTLY. Zynga apps are the same, and so are many other "official" apps.

The "app gap" isn't just about quantity - it's very much about quality, and despite MS and Nokia's efforts, both are lacking.

My local bank just went on an advertising spree for their mobile solution. They offer iOS and android, but no WP app. When I talked with my bank, their advice was to switch to a different phone that they supported. They know I am not going to change banks just because WP isn't supported. And quite frankly I shouldn't. I know I chose a WP knowing apps were a problem. To circle the wagons and drop anyone that doesn't support WP would be ridiculously self-isolating.

The long-term solution is to leverage both WP and Windows with the same apps, and to their credit MS is working on that. WP 8.1 is a lot more competitive with the other OSes feature-wise, but it will be the shared code between WP and Windows that could finally tip the monetary balance back in favor of the WP development.

Until MS can offer developers financial parity (or until MS codes an android virtual machine inside WP), we will always be 3rd class citizens app wise.
    A895 likes this.
    05-04-2014 11:24 AM
    The public perception does indeed play a major factor in the growth of WP. But hating on MS? I never heard a lot of techsites hating on MS (show me some please). I mean the PCs they use is Windows, at least in the majority of companies in the world.

A similar situation would be the MacBook and Windows. MacBook lacks TONS of programs, but could do the essentials such as browsing or chatting or work, but could not play the major PC games such as Skyrim (unless they boot Windows there). Yet a lot of people are still buying them. Why? Because of innovation. Their MacBooks are top notch quality, one of the best laptops out there (strong battery life, no lag, really thin yet still performs well, good looking to say the least). We need MS to do this too, to bring great innovation and surprise the public with something that they could enjoy. MS is as of now playing only catch up (improving nitpicks on the OS, improving specs, trying to follow the market, etc). Apple have set trends in recent years, but Microsoft hasn't. Nothing groundbreaking or surprising has appeared on WP, so no wonder devs and tech journalists pick on WP. An analogy would be: Imagine the nerd who stays the same. He will get bullied. Yet imagine if the nerd changed his life style, worked out and became more confident. People will look at him the other way, and the bullies might instead be his friends/not dare to bully the nerd again. That nerd is MS, and MS needs a groundbreaking innovation that would make people all go for WP.

On a personal note I don't hate MS. I love it actually, really love them. I love my Surface 2, I love outlook, office and other online services they provide. I love how the Surface has changed my life for the better, what they did with Windows 8.1, IE, One Drive, Calender, Mail, Bing (especially their News and Health & Fitness). But I'm dissatisfied with WP, as I feel MS didn't pour out their best yet to WP. WP has great potential, but they either haven't or can't tap into it yet.
    05-04-2014 11:30 AM
    The public perception does indeed play a major factor in the growth of WP. But hating on MS? I never heard a lot of techsites hating on MS (show me some please). I mean the PCs they use is Windows, at least in the majority of companies in the world.

A similar situation would be the MacBook and Windows. MacBook lacks TONS of programs, but could do the essentials such as browsing or chatting or work, but could not play the major PC games such as Skyrim (unless they boot Windows there). Yet a lot of people are still buying them. Why? Because of innovation. Their MacBooks are top notch quality, one of the best laptops out there (strong battery life, no lag, really thin yet still performs well, good looking to say the least). We need MS to do this too, to bring great innovation and surprise the public with something that they could enjoy. MS is as of now playing only catch up (improving nitpicks on the OS, improving specs, trying to follow the market, etc). Apple have set trends in recent years, but Microsoft hasn't. Nothing groundbreaking or surprising has appeared on WP, so no wonder devs and tech journalists pick on WP. An analogy would be: Imagine the nerd who stays the same. He will get bullied. Yet imagine if the nerd changed his life style, worked out and became more confident. People will look at him the other way, and the bullies might instead be his friends/not dare to bully the nerd again. That nerd is MS, and MS needs a groundbreaking innovation that would make people all go for WP.

On a personal note I don't hate MS. I love it actually, really love them. I love my Surface 2, I love outlook, office and other online services they provide. I love how the Surface has changed my life for the better, what they did with Windows 8.1, IE, One Drive, Calender, Mail, Bing (especially their News and Health & Fitness). But I'm dissatisfied with WP, as I feel MS didn't pour out their best yet to WP. WP has great potential, but they either haven't or can't tap into it yet.
    You only need to looks past WPC to see there is obvious Microsoft bias in the tech media. Also, if you don't know, the overwhelmingly majority of tech writers and pundits all use Macbooks. Microsoft is not playing catch up anymore they are pretty much on par, but it's their ecosystem where there are some holes.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    05-04-2014 11:46 AM
    You only need to looks past WPC to see there is obvious Microsoft bias in the tech media. Also, if you don't know, the overwhelmingly majority of tech writers and pundits all use Macbooks. Microsoft is not playing catch up anymore they are pretty much on par, but it's their ecosystem where there are some holes.

Hmm I think I might be biased on the media since I follow only Engadget and ignored any site that said the Surface 2 is a failure. Also I do see writers tap away on their Macbooks (heck most of my friend also use MacBooks), perhaps its the hipster trend to look cool.

Also could you elaborate on MS is on par, and their loop holes? I might have missed information regarding it.
    05-04-2014 11:55 AM
    Hmm I think I might be biased on the media since I follow only Engadget and ignored any site that said the Surface 2 is a failure. Also I do see writers tap away on their Macbooks (heck most of my friend also use MacBooks), perhaps its the hipster trend to look cool.

Also could you elaborate on MS is on par, and their loop holes? I might have missed information regarding it.
    Macbooks are a writers best device. Long battery life, good design, little faults. Microsoft still has an app problem and even though universal apps are coming along it's up to the developer to implement it.

05-04-2014 12:13 PM
    Nobody is using those apps in laptop so no use for non touch devices.they only use Windows 8 as Windows 7.so no use

05-04-2014 12:30 PM
    Nobody is using those apps in laptop so no use for non touch devices.they only use Windows 8 as Windows 7.so no use

I think you should speak for your self, atleast i use those apps on my laptop (non touch screen) and on my venue 8 pro tablet
    05-04-2014 12:33 PM
    I do not know about you but almost any friends of mine Do not use Windows 8 app store.they use only as normal laptop browsing

05-04-2014 12:40 PM
277 1234 ...