Is there a real "app gap"?

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
If you use WPCentral as people are switching to WP in great numbers, you are doing it wrong. More people switch between iOS and Android than people switching to a third platform.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Trust me it's not just Windows Phone central. WP was gaining market share even before 8.1 was being rumored to be released. You had almost every major electronics and information systems news feed talking about how 8.1 now puts WP on par with iOS and Andriod and in some cases like Cortana, mixing Siri and Google Now, taking the best features from both. Having a Wifi Sense, and Data Sense that tells you not only how much data you're using but where is most of it going and Battery Sense that tells you what is sucking the life out of your phone. Only Samsung provides this feature for Andriod, and iPhones don't have it at all. With consumers already showing an increased interest in WP before the 8.1 update, and before the plethora of positive reviews, you can only assume you're going to see a lot more of what is already happening. As for your more people are switching from iOS to Andriod then to WP, just look the the growth percentages over the last year. Windows Phone is the fastest growing ecosystem. This just isn't from consumers who didn't own a phone before, most of these are from users who once owned an Andriod or iPhone.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Apple and the iPhone have had the highest customer satisfaction for the last few years. That is the real truth. WP growing 119% on around 13.2 million units in the last quarter is impressive on the surface until you look at iOS and Android. iOS grew only 17% while android only grew 24%. However, that was on 43.7 million and 187 million units respectively. While I agree that more and people are moving to WP, I wouldn't really say that it's at the expense of iOS and Android. I'm also not so sure MS knows how to "play the game" considering the stagnant worldwide marketshare. I have no idea how we got this far off subject though. :straight:

LOL...point taken, however on an end note you should look at the JD power and associates customer satisfaction results and you'll see that although it's based on smart phone maker 2014 has iOS and Samsung as the top two. If you look at 2013 you'd see iOS and Nokia, which since Nokia just released an Andriod based phone a few months ago, all those numbers would reflect WP users. The 2013 Readers Choice awards had WP8 as the most satisfying OS with iOS coming in second. PocketNow had WP7 first and iOS second, and MacDaily news had iOS first and WP second. All this to say on the contrary, WP has always been either first or second in customer service satisfaction.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Trust me it's not just Windows Phone central. WP was gaining market share even before 8.1 was being rumored to be released. You had almost every major electronics and information systems news feed talking about how 8.1 now puts WP on par with iOS and Andriod and in some cases like Cortana, mixing Siri and Google Now, taking the best features from both. Having a Wifi Sense, and Data Sense that tells you not only how much data you're using but where is most of it going and Battery Sense that tells you what is sucking the life out of your phone. Only Samsung provides this feature for Andriod, and iPhones don't have it at all. With consumers already showing an increased interest in WP before the 8.1 update, and before the plethora of positive reviews, you can only assume you're going to see a lot more of what is already happening. As for your more people are switching from iOS to Andriod then to WP, just look the the growth percentages over the last year. Windows Phone is the fastest growing ecosystem. This just isn't from consumers who didn't own a phone before, most of these are from users who once owned an Andriod or iPhone.

I bet most of those people are new to smartphones. If you remember the most prolific WP's available and that are best selling is the Lumia 520/521. I don't think someone who is on a GS4 or HTC One (M7) is switching to one of those. Those who are on a budget and getting one of those devices is already 1.)not a smartphone user already 2.) had a cheap android phone before and just got something else on the cheap. WP may be growing but it's because of the low end, not really the high end.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
LOL...point taken, however on an end note you should look at the JD power and associates customer satisfaction results and you'll see that although it's based on smart phone maker 2014 has iOS and Samsung as the top two. If you look at 2013 you'd see iOS and Nokia, which since Nokia just released an Andriod based phone a few months ago, all those numbers would reflect WP users. The 2013 Readers Choice awards had WP8 as the most satisfying OS with iOS coming in second. PocketNow had WP7 first and iOS second, and MacDaily news had iOS first and WP second. All this to say on the contrary, WP has always been either first or second in customer service satisfaction.

Good for WP, but it does not tell the tale of whether it is catching fire with consumers. That's where the struggles is and hence why this thread was created because the common compliant besides being a different OS from iOS and Android is that is has an "app gap".

cgavula

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Not only can you access the mobile sites of applications like Eurotalk and Byki, but there are other apps the represent the same services. Just beause you're not familiar with them doesn't mean they don't do a sufficient job.
Big name travel apps like Flighttrack 5??? I travel all the time and I haven't heard of that. I use KAYAK, or Tripadvisor, both of which are available on WP.

Websites are great and I'm well aware of them, but they force you to be online to use them. That isn't always practical or realistic and it isn't the same as having an app with off-line coverage. When you're in a place where your signal isn't good or even nonexistent, as can happen when you are traveling, you'll discover there's a big difference between using a website link and an app with full offline content available on your device. Websites are not sufficient to cover and make up for the gap.

And you're mistaking travel booking sites/apps with travel apps - i.e. apps you use while you are traveling to track your flight arrangements and statuses and reservations, etc. (Yes, there's some overlap, but they aren't quite the same thing). Those are still very much lacking. You are incorrect if you do not think so.

And as I said, my Lumia 1520 is my daily driver - I love this phone - but that doesn't mean WP doesn't have weaknesses or an app gap.

abhiiceman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
dono about the US but in india wp apps are the worst, we feel like puking after seeing the app selection the tiles itself are ugly let alone the app..except for the inbuilt apps and some nokia apps all are crap, cant find a single app which does the job and look good. some times i feel like the template for wp app is the culprit..atleast the basic app like bookmyshow, IMDB, flipkart etc when compared with android or ios , feels like decade old, though flipkart app had a overhaul few weeks back...only third party app which i found good was facebook and instagram BETA and even the fb is made by MS :facepalm.. where are the devs actually(no offence but this is how WP user feel), after seeing the 2014 build and that whole universal app thing felt like Ms has finally done it, though devs would droll to make apps for windows as they can reach millions of customer through WP, W8 and W8 RT, but nothing till now, not even a promise that we will get better quality apps from now on..

CSMR250

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
A similar situation would be the MacBook and Windows. MacBook lacks TONS of programs, but could do the essentials such as browsing or chatting or work, but could not play the major PC games such as Skyrim (unless they boot Windows there). Yet a lot of people are still buying them. Why? Because of innovation. Their MacBooks are top notch quality, one of the best laptops out there (strong battery life, no lag, really thin yet still performs well, good looking to say the least).
Most apps are available for Mac. Reason: Apple users are more willing to spend money (because they are rich or professional or just spendthrifts).

Apps come out faster for iOS than Android even though there are many more androids. Because iOS users spend more money. (Also because the Android market is an uncontrolled and insecure mess.)

Microsoft should target people who spend money. It cannot get the "cool" people who buy Apple products to show off but it can get professionals. With WP7, WP7.5, WP8, the OS was not good enough for professional use, only for casual users. With WP8.1, the OS is more flexible and more feature-complete but MS still needs to do more to target professionals and business users. WP8.1 has the features but is still targeted at casual users.

When WP gets some professional and business users, then app makers will make money from writing WP apps, and the app gap will close.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Most apps are available for Mac. Reason: Apple users are more willing to spend money (because they are rich or professional or just spendthrifts).

Apps come out faster for iOS than Android even though there are many more androids. Because iOS users spend more money. (Also because the Android market is an uncontrolled and insecure mess.)

Microsoft should target people who spend money. It cannot get the "cool" people who buy Apple products to show off but it can get professionals. With WP7, WP7.5, WP8, the OS was not good enough for professional use, only for casual users. With WP8.1, the OS is more flexible and more feature-complete but MS still needs to do more to target professionals and business users. WP8.1 has the features but is still targeted at casual users.

When WP gets some professional and business users, then app makers will make money from writing WP apps, and the app gap will close.

The thing is professional and business users are being set upon iPhones for work. Apple has been doing well with enterprise lately, even then business users don't make up the majority of Apples users, the majority will always be casual people. I think the fact Developers target iOS first because it is easier (less devices to optimize for) and because it's out of habit. Devs have been iOS first for a long time considering they were the first real app store. But as time goes on Devas have been targeting iOS and Android at the same time or at least within a few months time. That's not to say with WP (no offense) you may not see it for a long time or never.

The point of getting more users isn't to be cool, its to have all the apps that people want now and to do it in a decently fast manner. I know people with Galaxy S3s who won't upgrade for a while because it does everything they need. I know people with iPhone 4s who won't upgrade because they have the apps they need and their phone still works fine for them.

More than anything I think Microsoft should be throwing money at Devs so that all the new and popular apps hit WP the same time as iOS and Android that way, you can recommend it to anyone. So that when someone asks you does WP have Candy Crush, Tinder, Official SnapChat or Clash of Clans you can say it does.

If Microsoft can capture the casual crowd the apps for the professional crowd will come eventually but we all know the casual crowd is where the $$$$ is right now.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I think WP will be just fine. Lets remember, when the iPhone and the first Androids came out, they weren't designed to take on corporate work assignments or high volume presentations. Lets not forget the most popular non-mobile OS is Windows 7, followed by XP, so the fact still remains that even those who use iPhones in particular and Androids still own a pc that runs some form of a Windows OS. What WPs direction seems to be is to bridge that gap to have people view it as an extension of their other devices. The fact that WP in its short life has gained more ground than the other ecosystems in their embryonic stages shows the potential. Cortana in beta is still as good as Siri or Google now who have been around. Maybe Android will release a 64K device, but that's still the missing link. Its still a mobile OS on steroids, and government agencies turn away because of the lack of security. iOs will find if they don't embrace the lower price bracket, they're popularity will slowly dwindle.

Anwaar Ulhaq

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Please Windows grow up and release some phones we really need them I use Android just because Windows Phones are not available in market all of them are out of stock..
Why shouldn't Microsoft issue licence to these companies to make WP:
1) Lenovo
2) LG
3) Motorola
4) Panasonic
5) Asus
6) Acer
7) HP
8) Dell
9) Intel
10)Gigabyte

They all make smartphones and Tablets they can boost Windows Phones Market the only problem in Windows is that no phone is available in Market and if they are so they're really expensive.

They already have licensed:
Sony
Samsung
HTC
Huawei
Nokia

But I haven't seen any better phones except few from Nokia such as Lumia 1520, 925, 920, 720, 520, 525, 625 but the rest were flop.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I think WP will be just fine. Lets remember, when the iPhone and the first Androids came out, they weren't designed to take on corporate work assignments or high volume presentations. Lets not forget the most popular non-mobile OS is Windows 7, followed by XP, so the fact still remains that even those who use iPhones in particular and Androids still own a pc that runs some form of a Windows OS. What WPs direction seems to be is to bridge that gap to have people view it as an extension of their other devices. The fact that WP in its short life has gained more ground than the other ecosystems in their embryonic stages shows the potential. Cortana in beta is still as good as Siri or Google now who have been around. Maybe Android will release a 64K device, but that's still the missing link. Its still a mobile OS on steroids, and government agencies turn away because of the lack of security. iOs will find if they don't embrace the lower price bracket, they're popularity will slowly dwindle.

Let's not forget WP has 4% of the smartphone market nearly 4 years after it's release. 4 years after Android's release (Sept, 2012) it was sitting at 52% of the market. Let's not also forget the majority of the smartphone market is casual users and not enterprise use or governement use. Let's not also forget iOS is not going anywhere soon seeing as Apple makes the most money off of mobile than ANYONE else, prices don't matter. We also can not forget the iPhone 5c is the same cost off contract as a Lumia Icon and the ATIV SE.

Shad0x64

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Our apps are ugly and lack features. Love winphone 8.1 but our apps suck. Even the Microsoft apps are better on iPhone aside from an exclusive feature here and there. Been here since the ppc6500 but the 920 is likely my last Windows phone.

Shad0x64

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Let's not forget WP has 4% of the smartphone market nearly 4 years after it's release. 4 years after Android's release (Sept, 2012) it was sitting at 52% of the market. Let's not also forget the majority of the smartphone market is casual users and not enterprise use or governement use. Let's not also forget iOS is not going anywhere soon seeing as Apple makes the most money off of mobile than ANYONE else, prices don't matter. We also can not forget the iPhone 5c is the same cost off contract as a Lumia Icon and the ATIV SE.
Sad but true. I'm afraid Microsoft will just stop pouring money into this pit one day. Maybe they're going for 20% by 2030 at this rate.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Sad but true. I'm afraid Microsoft will just stop pouring money into this pit one day. Maybe they're going for 20% by 2030 at this rate.

given the low mid and high end markets are already dominated by Android, plus the fact it's cool to hate Microsoft etc, I'd say they're doing extremely well.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
This discussion interests me. There are a few things inherent in the OS that I've always let my friends know that I didn't need to open up an 'app' to accomplish. That's also one of the things that's bugging me lately with WP 8.1. I know many people didn't use the People Hub, but come on....With it, you didn't really NEED a Twitter app, Facebook App, etc. and aren't those some of the things people do the most of? The only other platform that I enjoyed was HTC Sense that has that kind of integration.

Now if we gotta talk apps, yeah, there are so many missing, but nothing that's a deal breaker. I was saying to the wife yesterday about how people walk around Disney able to use an app to schedule their Fast Pass+ experience (which, yes, most people outside of Florida probably don't care, but to be local and an annual passholder, of which there are many, it's a big deal). We didn't have anything like that on WP....until now. An app that I use called Disney Expedition which just got a nice little update that allows you to plan your fast passes and other stuff.

My point is that it's going to take time for the apps to come (if you rely on apps for stuff), but I think they'll get there. With 2 behemoths like Apple and Google so far ahead, I doubt they'll catch them, but on the flip, Mac users LOVE their machines, while only maintaining a roughly 14% market share and Linux users even less, but don't tell them otherwise. Mind you, my .02, but for me, it's the same but different when it comes to mobile devices.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
This discussion interests me. There are a few things inherent in the OS that I've always let my friends know that I didn't need to open up an 'app' to accomplish. That's also one of the things that's bugging me lately with WP 8.1. I know many people didn't use the People Hub, but come on....With it, you didn't really NEED a Twitter app, Facebook App, etc. and aren't those some of the things people do the most of? The only other platform that I enjoyed was HTC Sense that has that kind of integration.

Now if we gotta talk apps, yeah, there are so many missing, but nothing that's a deal breaker. I was saying to the wife yesterday about how people walk around Disney able to use an app to schedule their Fast Pass+ experience (which, yes, most people outside of Florida probably don't care, but to be local and an annual passholder, of which there are many, it's a big deal). We didn't have anything like that on WP....until now. An app that I use called Disney Expedition which just got a nice little update that allows you to plan your fast passes and other stuff.

My point is that it's going to take time for the apps to come (if you rely on apps for stuff), but I think they'll get there. With 2 behemoths like Apple and Google so far ahead, I doubt they'll catch them, but on the flip, Mac users LOVE their machines, while only maintaining a roughly 14% market share and Linux users even less, but don't tell them otherwise. Mind you, my .02, but for me, it's the same but different when it comes to mobile devices.

For you there is no deal breaker but for the rest of the market, deal breakers abound. No tot say WP is bad or anything, but with the new and popular apps and games missing and Google Services not present (I know, I know Microsoft and all that, but you will be surprised who use Google Services and would like it on WP, including me) that is enough for people to turn away, not to mention carriers push Android and iOS, and WP is very different to either, and the fact that their friends and family use the other two make people look the other way as well.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
And with devices like moto e wp is gone in the low end only high end is left.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Yeah, the Moto E will definitely take a bite off of future 520/521 sales, if the Moto G has not already. I think WP should also target the midrange as well, because competing with the top of Android and iOS is not the best idea.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs