01-31-2015 07:25 PM
277 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    05-21-2014 06:47 AM
    Why are you worried about instagram when 6tag is not only better in terms of functionality on WP but on iOS or Android? There are half a dozen FB apps. What's missing with them? Whatsapp will be brought back. You can pin any website to the start screen.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    05-21-2014 06:51 AM
    It really depends on what you need on your phone. I know sometimes there's instances where I'm shopping, for example at Target, and the companion app that has coupons isn't available on my phone. But, more times than most, this situation rarely happens. And that's all depending on what I value for apps versus others.

So stand alone, no we aren't close to the competition, but depending on an individual's needs, we could fit it perfectly

Sent from my all seeing 1020
    05-21-2014 06:57 AM
    I know there have been some posts about apps. But I also want to take the time ad say "Ecosystem lock-in". When you get a Windows Phone, the one thing that is annoying is that you have to go all in with Microsoft, with Android you can avoid Google if you want. I know that`s the end goal for people running Microsoft, but I prefer Androids approach where you have the choice to use Microsoft, Google, or even Amazon.

I don't necessarily agree with that but ok

05-21-2014 07:00 AM
    There are some people who shouldn't even participate in these topics, on both sides. And then there's one individual who really just needs to reside off this forum.

05-21-2014 07:12 AM
    With 500,000 worthless and maleware ridden titles, and 20,000 fart apps.
    Akhilesh Bhambhani likes this.
    05-21-2014 07:14 AM
    I'm going to break this down to the most elementary of terms to try and alleviate any further confusion.

1. I've stated in my initial comment in this forum, that I agreed about there being an "app gap" in the sense of what and appication is supposed to provide. However since you can pretty much pin anything to you start screen, a feature you can't do with iPhones or Andriod, it pretty much mutes that argument because you and still access the mobile sites, or the actual websites with ease.

So that brings us to the biggest issue in my opinion and that's games. Now, again, I know those people that like trending games see this as a deal breaker and I've aknowledged that as well. My comments about the games was geared to those that didn't think WP had any good games. That was simply an incorrect statement.

Ultimately my closing comment was looking at the bigger picture which goes beyone trending games and fadish apps. It's about the staying power that WP has presented in the case of more and more iPhone and Andriod users switching. In the bigger picture this issue is holding less water, one because developers are starting to drop games for WP that are on iOS and Andriod, and at the same time, and even sooner in some instances, but the biggest reason is the overall experience which is dulling the "app gap" argument little by little, but dulling it nevertheless.

You can pin sites to IOS home screen

05-21-2014 07:27 AM
    I also think that at the end of the day, every forum member needs to remember that NONE of you all have any stake in these companies to be as emotional and consistently in these type of topics as the lot of you are. At the end of the day, are you happy with your purchase? If so, that's all that matters. Feedback is always welcomed, but armchair ceo'ing is SUCH a drone fest of the same ol'.

BobLobIaw and L Beezy like this.
    05-21-2014 07:31 AM
    Why are you worried about instagram when 6tag is not only better in terms of functionality on WP but on iOS or Android? There are half a dozen FB apps. What's missing with them? Whatsapp will be brought back. You can pin any website to the start screen.
    But there's still stuff like no navy federal app even though it's one of the largest credit unions in the country. And yes it can pinned but I can't take a picture of a check with the website. Almost all music studio apps are not available on WP and there's obvious popular apps missing like sound cloud, who sampled, rap genius etc.
    05-21-2014 07:59 AM
    I have audio cloud which works fine for me

05-21-2014 08:20 AM
    With 500,000 worthless and maleware ridden titles, and 20,000 fart apps.
    And we are back on this point. Oh well.
    05-21-2014 12:15 PM
    I don't necessarily agree with that but ok

Are you not forced to use Microsoft services on WP?
    05-21-2014 12:15 PM
    I personally think it's not the app gap it's the updates. You see Twitter releasing an app and not updating it for ages. Whereas Android and iOS get updates every so often.
    Company's think there's no demand for WP apps so they don't make them and just point you to a web based mobile optimized version. I'm moving over to WP very soon but pretty frustrated about the fact that apps can't be updated in line with Android and iOS offerings.
    05-21-2014 01:14 PM
    I personally think it's not the app gap it's the updates. You see Twitter releasing an app and not updating it for ages. Whereas Android and iOS get updates every so often.
    Company's think there's no demand for WP apps so they don't make them and just point you to a web based mobile optimized version. I'm moving over to WP very soon but pretty frustrated about the fact that apps can't be updated in line with Android and iOS offerings.
    That is one of the reasons I haven't moved over. I would beyond angry if I am paying hundreds of dollars on a smartphone and the apps I need are in poor quality, that defeats the purpose. I know apps are more wants and not needs, but for some apps I use I do need them for college. Like I used Evernote and Google Keep heavily during the past semester for notes. If either one of those apps were messed up, I would have been very upset, I type notes into both all the time.
    05-21-2014 01:20 PM
    That is one of the reasons I haven't moved over. I would beyond angry if I am paying hundreds of dollars on a smartphone and the apps I need are in poor quality, that defeats the purpose. I know apps are more wants and not needs, but for some apps I use I do need them for college. Like I used Evernote and Google Keep heavily during the past semester for notes. If either one of those apps were messed up, I would have been very upset, I type notes into both all the time.
    Yep that's right, I think the main few would be Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp, (SnapChat), and even banking apps. They should be constantly updated as the majority use them and it's the only way to draw consumers.
    A895 likes this.
    05-21-2014 01:25 PM
    Yep that's right, I think the main few would be Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp, (SnapChat), and even banking apps. They should be constantly updated as the majority use them and it's the only way to draw consumers.
    That won't happen until wp market share atleast in high end is like that of Apple.nd in the low end I don't think wp can compete truly with android.oh there is that lumia 520 but still it didn't make wp market share 65% despite being a great value for money.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    05-21-2014 01:52 PM
    Are you not forced to use Microsoft services on WP?

I'm not forced to use outlook, or Xbox music, or Xbox video, etc. The only thing I'm forced to use is internet explorer, and like the competition, a Microsoft account to access the store.

05-21-2014 03:59 PM
    I'm not forced to use outlook, or Xbox music, or Xbox video, etc. The only thing I'm forced to use is internet explorer, and like the competition, a Microsoft account to access the store.

Which contrasts to Android I can disable the Play Store entirely and use another app store. That is what I meant. You can forgo Google entirely on Android as opposed to having to use something Microsoft on WP.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    cckgz4 likes this.
    05-21-2014 04:13 PM
    I have audio cloud which works fine for me

Thanks. It's better than nothing.
    05-21-2014 06:46 PM
    And you have to deal with Nokia making so many low budget phones that people with real power (1520) have to suffer with crappy versions of apps that they could easily power through.
    05-21-2014 06:49 PM
    There are those that want complete autonomy when it comes to an OS, and for that Android should be the ecosystem of choice. Those also attract malware, fishing, spoofing and a gambit of other hacking processes. I like having the notion of the manufacturer of the OS, regulate its access. This is why many enterprises won't consider Android because of the lack of security. I don't need to choose from another store to by apps.
    05-21-2014 06:55 PM
    There are those that want complete autonomy when it comes to an OS, and for that Android should be the ecosystem of choice. Those also attract malware, fishing, spoofing and a gambit of other hacking processes. I like having the notion of the manufacturer of the OS, regulate its access. This is why many enterprises won't consider Android because of the lack of security. I don't need to choose from another store to by apps.
    People often forget the majority of that hacking spoofing and whatnot happens outside of the U.S. where malware is more common in app stores not of Google's own creation. Furthermore, I doubt many people pirate apps anyways, and that's if they can in the first place.

Considering Samsung and it's Knox software are now being used for enterprise. There are some Android devices in enterprise. In great numbers? No.

It's always interesting how people here and on CrackBerry love to tout how their platform is so secure, but security does not sell devices, now does it? Because if that was the case BlackBerry would be doing well, and WP wouldn't be sitting at 4% of the smartphone market.

I am just stating facts, no one cares about security anymore and I think it is often forgotten a platform can't survive on Enterprise alone. Again see BlackBerry for proof of that.

05-21-2014 07:40 PM
    People often forget the majority of that hacking spoofing and whatnot happens outside of the U.S. where malware is more common in app stores not of Google's own creation. Furthermore, I doubt many people pirate apps anyways, and that's if they can in the first place.

Considering Samsung and it's Knox software are now being used for enterprise. There are some Android devices in enterprise. In great numbers? No.

It's always interesting how people here and on CrackBerry love to tout how their platform is so secure, but security does not sell devices, now does it? Because if that was the case BlackBerry would be doing well, and WP wouldn't be sitting at 4% of the smartphone market.

I am just stating facts, no one cares about security anymore and I think it is often forgotten a platform can't survive on Enterprise alone. Again see BlackBerry for proof of that.

As if my profile picture didn't suggeset it, I've been in the military for almost 19 years, grew up in it, and let me tell you...it's the new war out there. People like me are concerned with security like this so poeple like you don't have to be. One of Blackberry's biggest consumers was the DOD. Now why do you think with Blackberry tanking, they're not rushing over to grab the latest Andriod technology? Blackberry is strictly legacy which is why it fell apart. A lot of the government is already entrenched in Microsoft technology so it's nothing like Blackberry. It makes perfect sense to entertain WP for that reason. You can use the 4% market share all you want, but lets see what it's like next year. If this past year was any indication, it will be around 8%, which is showing a frightening trend for the likes of Apple and Andriod. To go from just over 1% to 4% in a year is pretty remarkable. You may be tied into microsofts equipment, but you can still have some freedom. You can use other browsers, other media outputs, other office processing applications, and a host of others. You just can't imitage or emulate another system because that's where the security issues come into play. Microsoft has been surviving on enterprise alone for almost 10 years. Now that they're finally starting to look at the individual consumer the reason that they won't follow in the footsteps of Blackberry.
    05-21-2014 08:30 PM
    As i read before... The problem, at least for my country, are the local apps... banks, police services, my university has one, restaurant apps, metro 🚇 apps, even one that lets you download paid apps for free...... Are those apps on WP????... Nope... That's why people (here) doesn't like this platform because if you have WP, like me, and the rest of the people you know have Android or iOS you will be left behind in terms of compatibility.... "you can't send music on whatsapp?""you don't have candy crush?""play with me on trivia crack.. Oh you don't have it?""make your walking dead zombie... You can't??!""let's fight on clash of clans... Why can't you?""what's your game of thrones name and character?... What is wrong with your phone?".. A former WP friend got tired of this and she bought a galaxy s4... I'm considering it too.... It's just that Those things make you regret being a WP user some times... ATT: Sebastian
    05-21-2014 09:03 PM
    As if my profile picture didn't suggeset it, I've been in the military for almost 19 years, grew up in it, and let me tell you...it's the new war out there. People like me are concerned with security like this so poeple like you don't have to be. One of Blackberry's biggest consumers was the DOD. Now why do you think with Blackberry tanking, they're not rushing over to grab the latest Andriod technology? Blackberry is strictly legacy which is why it fell apart. A lot of the government is already entrenched in Microsoft technology so it's nothing like Blackberry. It makes perfect sense to entertain WP for that reason. You can use the 4% market share all you want, but lets see what it's like next year. If this past year was any indication, it will be around 8%, which is showing a frightening trend for the likes of Apple and Andriod. To go from just over 1% to 4% in a year is pretty remarkable. You may be tied into microsofts equipment, but you can still have some freedom. You can use other browsers, other media outputs, other office processing applications, and a host of others. You just can't imitage or emulate another system because that's where the security issues come into play. Microsoft has been surviving on enterprise alone for almost 10 years. Now that they're finally starting to look at the individual consumer the reason that they won't follow in the footsteps of Blackberry.
    Even if Microsoft hits 8%, what is that to over 20% for Apple and the rest being Android? They are not a serious threat to either right now. Again as security is touted for WP, we also can not forget the best selling WP devices (and the most common) are the 520/521 which I highly doubt are used in business environments much.

Also, I know the synergy of Microsoft services entices, it really only works if those businesses and governments are on Windows 8 and above and we all know when it comes to enterprise growth rate for new OS's are painfully slow.

Another thing Microsoft has survived on Enterprise for a a variety of services. Mobile wise, you can't throw all your eggs in one basket. BlackBerry tried being a consumer and prosumer brand but that did nothing but divide their focus. Now that they made it to BB10 and finally got their feet don't the ground mobile wise, everyone else has moved on as the faithful lose trust in BlackBerry and everyone else moves to iOS and Android.

The thing about mobile is that it is driven by trends and it driven by normal consumers. Companies are now literally living and dying if they can't catch favor with regular consumers and I think that is very telling of how the mobile market works right now.

05-21-2014 10:08 PM
277 ... 7891011 ...