Is there a real "app gap"?

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for bringing that up. Because that's exactly the problem that never made any sense.

> "There's no app "X" on Windows Phone".
- "You can use app "Y" on Windows Phone, which is as good or better than "X"
> But I want app "X", so Windows Phone sucks and there's too much of an app gap.

C'mon, that has always been bull****.

Same with the argument of official applications. Windows Phone has truly fantastic third-party apps which are just as good or better than the official app on Android/iOS.

But as long as the official doesn't arrive on Windows Phone, there's an app gap. That never made sense.

Sure, there are missing apps with no third party alternatives. But why do you think Candy Crush Saga doesn't come to Windows Phone? It's not lack of demand or market that justifies development. No, it's exactly the same reason as to why Google won't release proper apps for Windows Phone.

It's not bull**** actually, it's human nature. You know what comes with apps made originally from the company itself? Trust. You don't want to download some app, just to find out that that app stole money from your credit card. Or pay for an app, just to find out how shi**y it is. It's not easy to convince someone to blindly trust a 3rd party app, as you don't have personal assurance that the app will function well. For example, the official Amazon app vs. some Third-party-pseudo Amazon app. If you buy something from your phone, and the item didn't arrive but your credit card was charged, you can still claim your money back from Amazon through contacting them. The third-party-pseudo app? Your money's gone, bye-bye. You complain to Amazon, and they say they can't payback for the damages due to it being your fault for downloading an unofficial app not made by them.

There are some great alternatives though, especially 6tag and those other apps, but a person from a different OS will think otherwise. Only people in WP would know about those apps, and will only read the comment and reviews of those apps if they need it. Basically an alternative is like a 50-50 chance of a scam/crappy quality app, or a great and prominent app. You don't get that in Android and iOS, as you can read the plethora of comments served by other customers. WP just doesn't have the amount of consumers Android and iOS has, so the comments/reviews aren't as much. The app gap is real, though it's been better compared to previous years, but it still exists.

It doesn't exist both ways though, as an exclusive app such as "Halo: Spartan Assault" is only one compared to many other exclusives of iOS and Android that aren't available in WP. Also, if you invest in WP, the profit gained would be lower than that compared to Android or iOS, meaning that not as much people would invest then (looking at the devs). Remember that humans are driven to gain the highest profit of all, and a logical approach to a situation is to gain the highest profit which WP could not give right now.

Martin hfd

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
The problem are the LOCAL apps. Local bus service, cinema, shopping, post office....i dont know, stuff like that. These little but still important apps make the difference.

Yes! These apps are the problem, but It is not up to MS to make these apps, It's up to their respective companies.... And if MS starts to advertise decently these ads will draw attention from the bigger names in app development - if the bigger names come so do the little ones.... (it's like herd logic, where the big kahuna goes so do all the others).
MS doesn't treat WP as it should, I mean this is their OS they are supposed to treat like a king, but they are treating it like child a with downs syndrome (no insult intended).
And before someone starts it's still in development bla bla... think about it... they've had about how much time again... It's time for them to bring their A GAME.... Bis bald

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
We will never close the app gap. Ever. Not even in a billion years. Why? Because it's cool to hate MS. This means that developers and tech journalists will always snuff their nose at WP. Without the apps and good press, WP can't grow to become dominant. Without the users we can't get the apps. It's an ever perpetuating cycle. MS can't afford to pay every developer for every major app needed in the world. They'd need massive payments and there's millions of those big name apps that people need.

It might be cool to hate MS, but the fact is that it's the money that drives people to develop apps.

For independent apps, it's "how much can I make in return for my time and effort to build an app?" For businesses, it's "how much extra am I going to spend to develop an app for 3% of the market and how much is the lack of support costing me?"

Let's face it: all you have to do is read this thread to realize that a lot of WP users are willing to be a part of that 3% and ignore any specific app that isn't available. For the most part, they use a browser or 3rd party work-around, so the impact to businesses isn't that great. That includes official apps being years old with no updates. For example, the Audible app is terrible compared with it's Android Version (I've never had iOS, so I can't make that comparison), and when I was on Android the app was updated regularly. The WP Audible app crashes and loses my place CONSTANTLY. Zynga apps are the same, and so are many other "official" apps.

The "app gap" isn't just about quantity - it's very much about quality, and despite MS and Nokia's efforts, both are lacking.

My local bank just went on an advertising spree for their mobile solution. They offer iOS and android, but no WP app. When I talked with my bank, their advice was to switch to a different phone that they supported. They know I am not going to change banks just because WP isn't supported. And quite frankly I shouldn't. I know I chose a WP knowing apps were a problem. To circle the wagons and drop anyone that doesn't support WP would be ridiculously self-isolating.

The long-term solution is to leverage both WP and Windows with the same apps, and to their credit MS is working on that. WP 8.1 is a lot more competitive with the other OSes feature-wise, but it will be the shared code between WP and Windows that could finally tip the monetary balance back in favor of the WP development.

Until MS can offer developers financial parity (or until MS codes an android virtual machine inside WP), we will always be 3rd class citizens app wise.

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
We will never close the app gap. Ever. Not even in a billion years. Why? Because it's cool to hate MS. This means that developers and tech journalists will always snuff their nose at WP. Without the apps and good press, WP can't grow to become dominant. Without the users we can't get the apps. It's an ever perpetuating cycle. MS can't afford to pay every developer for every major app needed in the world. They'd need massive payments and there's millions of those big name apps that people need.
The public perception does indeed play a major factor in the growth of WP. But hating on MS? I never heard a lot of techsites hating on MS (show me some please). I mean the PCs they use is Windows, at least in the majority of companies in the world.

A similar situation would be the MacBook and Windows. MacBook lacks TONS of programs, but could do the essentials such as browsing or chatting or work, but could not play the major PC games such as Skyrim (unless they boot Windows there). Yet a lot of people are still buying them. Why? Because of innovation. Their MacBooks are top notch quality, one of the best laptops out there (strong battery life, no lag, really thin yet still performs well, good looking to say the least). We need MS to do this too, to bring great innovation and surprise the public with something that they could enjoy. MS is as of now playing only catch up (improving nitpicks on the OS, improving specs, trying to follow the market, etc). Apple have set trends in recent years, but Microsoft hasn't. Nothing groundbreaking or surprising has appeared on WP, so no wonder devs and tech journalists pick on WP. An analogy would be: Imagine the nerd who stays the same. He will get bullied. Yet imagine if the nerd changed his life style, worked out and became more confident. People will look at him the other way, and the bullies might instead be his friends/not dare to bully the nerd again. That nerd is MS, and MS needs a groundbreaking innovation that would make people all go for WP.

On a personal note I don't hate MS. I love it actually, really love them. I love my Surface 2, I love outlook, office and other online services they provide. I love how the Surface has changed my life for the better, what they did with Windows 8.1, IE, One Drive, Calender, Mail, Bing (especially their News and Health & Fitness). But I'm dissatisfied with WP, as I feel MS didn't pour out their best yet to WP. WP has great potential, but they either haven't or can't tap into it yet.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The public perception does indeed play a major factor in the growth of WP. But hating on MS? I never heard a lot of techsites hating on MS (show me some please). I mean the PCs they use is Windows, at least in the majority of companies in the world.

A similar situation would be the MacBook and Windows. MacBook lacks TONS of programs, but could do the essentials such as browsing or chatting or work, but could not play the major PC games such as Skyrim (unless they boot Windows there). Yet a lot of people are still buying them. Why? Because of innovation. Their MacBooks are top notch quality, one of the best laptops out there (strong battery life, no lag, really thin yet still performs well, good looking to say the least). We need MS to do this too, to bring great innovation and surprise the public with something that they could enjoy. MS is as of now playing only catch up (improving nitpicks on the OS, improving specs, trying to follow the market, etc). Apple have set trends in recent years, but Microsoft hasn't. Nothing groundbreaking or surprising has appeared on WP, so no wonder devs and tech journalists pick on WP. An analogy would be: Imagine the nerd who stays the same. He will get bullied. Yet imagine if the nerd changed his life style, worked out and became more confident. People will look at him the other way, and the bullies might instead be his friends/not dare to bully the nerd again. That nerd is MS, and MS needs a groundbreaking innovation that would make people all go for WP.

On a personal note I don't hate MS. I love it actually, really love them. I love my Surface 2, I love outlook, office and other online services they provide. I love how the Surface has changed my life for the better, what they did with Windows 8.1, IE, One Drive, Calender, Mail, Bing (especially their News and Health & Fitness). But I'm dissatisfied with WP, as I feel MS didn't pour out their best yet to WP. WP has great potential, but they either haven't or can't tap into it yet.

You only need to looks past WPC to see there is obvious Microsoft bias in the tech media. Also, if you don't know, the overwhelmingly majority of tech writers and pundits all use Macbooks. Microsoft is not playing catch up anymore they are pretty much on par, but it's their ecosystem where there are some holes.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
You only need to looks past WPC to see there is obvious Microsoft bias in the tech media. Also, if you don't know, the overwhelmingly majority of tech writers and pundits all use Macbooks. Microsoft is not playing catch up anymore they are pretty much on par, but it's their ecosystem where there are some holes.

Hmm I think I might be biased on the media since I follow only Engadget and ignored any site that said the Surface 2 is a failure. Also I do see writers tap away on their Macbooks (heck most of my friend also use MacBooks), perhaps its the hipster trend to look cool.

Also could you elaborate on MS is on par, and their loop holes? I might have missed information regarding it.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Hmm I think I might be biased on the media since I follow only Engadget and ignored any site that said the Surface 2 is a failure. Also I do see writers tap away on their Macbooks (heck most of my friend also use MacBooks), perhaps its the hipster trend to look cool.

Also could you elaborate on MS is on par, and their loop holes? I might have missed information regarding it.

Macbooks are a writers best device. Long battery life, good design, little faults. Microsoft still has an app problem and even though universal apps are coming along it's up to the developer to implement it.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Nobody is using those apps in laptop so no use for non touch devices.they only use Windows 8 as Windows 7.so no use

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Nobody is using those apps in laptop so no use for non touch devices.they only use Windows 8 as Windows 7.so no use

I think you should speak for your self, atleast i use those apps on my laptop (non touch screen) and on my venue 8 pro tablet

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I do not know about you but almost any friends of mine Do not use Windows 8 app store.they use only as normal laptop browsing

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
^^ well you said no one hence i posted to rectify it, again it boils down to preferences and i have mentioned mine, yes i do agree that i spend most of the time on my desktop but i do use the spilt screen functionality to pin apps and my desktop side by side to work and play at the same time

Jack Janik

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
#TheStruggleIsReal

But seriously, yes. There is a huge app gap. And some apps we do have haven't been updated in eons, (Flickr, Tumblr, Spotify, Kik, Twitter, etc.)

I love Windows Phone, but to deny such an "app gap" it is downright dishonest. :p

Pulak Vatsya

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
#TheStruggleIsReal

But seriously, yes. There is a huge app gap. And some apps we do have haven't been updated in eons, (Flickr, Tumblr, Spotify, Kik, Twitter, etc.)

I love Windows Phone, but to deny such an "app gap" it is downright dishonest. :p

Exactly my point.it will just be ignoring a FACT.clear fact.even I love WP.and keep the hope alive :D

Musaib124

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Facebook twiitter instagram these are main socio apps which are worst on wp as compared to ios and android and whatsapp as well .. U cant deny thiss

Sent from my Lumia 820

Jack Janik

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Facebook twiitter instagram these are main socio apps which are worst on wp as compared to ios and android and whatsapp as well .. U cant deny thiss

Sent from my Lumia 820
Twitter, besides photos taking forever to load, is generally pleasant, and the battery drain..

Okay, it isn't! xD

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Here is what I think of the app gap situation:
Technology news outlets constantly mention the app gap in every review. ( Nokia and Microsoft are now one company, but lets not forget about the app gap.)
WP Fanboys constantly say how we have perfectly good(or sometimes way better) 3rd party apps for nearly every app.
And people like me just wish we could have our favorite apps.
Now the annoying thing is about these 3rd party apps, it's like watching a bootleg movie with friends over... It's embarrassing. If a friend wants to watch vines on my phone and I bring up 6sec, they will say "Wtf is this 💩"?! Fr, this happened to me playing that fake flappy bird app we had. A friend said "this game is fake, it doesn't even fall naturally. This is why I never would get a windows phone." I am 15, so you gotta understand we live in the age of trends. Currently the popular games are "Don't Tap the White Tile 2" and Quiz up. The reason its perceived as is having an app gap is because 1)We rarely ever get the newest apps when they come out before the hype of the app does down and 2) We don't even have the apps that every other platform has(YouTube, but that is because of the Microsoft's stupid Scroogle campaign). We have millions of crappy 3rd party apps, and a few actual good ones( I wish we had a kik 3rd party app since our official kik is dead.), but coming from a teenager 3rd party apps are not wanted, we enjoy the official app. So the 3rd party apps don't make windows phone not guilty of having an app gap.

Typed using Word Flow on WP8.1 😜.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
To sit here and say that there isn't an app gap between WP and iOS/Android would be just foolish. Clearly there is an app gap between them, and I use WP as my daily driver. For a lot of my friends, it's all about apps. Being an older college student that doesn't care about social media, the younger generation couldn't live without it. I understand that there are fantastic third party apps of popular social media sites, but believe it or not, there's nothing like the real thing in their eyes. There are certain games, associations, banking, among others, that aren't on WP...and while it doesn't affect me at all, it definitely affects others so much that they refuse to switch from an OS that has everything they want to an OS that barely has what they need. Hell, I use the Capital One web app because there's none for WP (and I have no problem with it).

But to WP8's defense, it's in it's digital infancy compared to Android and iOS. Microsoft has to tantalize these companies that creates these apps to come on board with WP AND keep the official apps updated.

Last edited:

Musaib124

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
To sit here and say that there isn't an app gap between WP and iOS/Android would be just foolish. Clearly there is an app gap between them, and I use WP as my daily driver. For a lot of my friends, it's all about apps. Being an older college student that doesn't care about social media, the younger generation couldn't live without it. I understand that there are fantastic third party apps of popular social media sites, but believe it or not, there's nothing like the real thing in their eyes. There are certain games, associations, banking, among others, that aren't on WP...and while it doesn't affect me at all, it definitely affects others so much that they refuse to switch from an OS that has everything they want to an OS that barely has what they need. Hell, I use the Capital One web app because there's none for WP (and I have no problem with it).

But to WP8's defense, it's in it's digital infancy compared to Android and iOS. Microsoft has to tantalize these companies that creates these apps to come on board with WP AND keep the official apps updated.

Yes totally agree wid u microsoft needs to motivate these companies to work on windowsphone as well as they r working on other platforms.

Sent from my Lumia 820

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3