Is there a real "app gap"?

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Tap the tiles,Starbucks are available on the store.

Office Mobile is available and will continue to get updated.

Nest Uber aren't they social media apps?

There is plenty of parity if you bother to look. Your banking apps is up to that particular institution to build for WP..not Microsoft,and as far as notes...there is over 21 note apps on the market.

I stand by my previous post...there really isn't a app gap

Mac

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
To answer the question, in it's purest form, I would have to say yes, there is an "app gap." An application is usually a simplistic version of the official website, and it's obvious that WP doesn't have a lot of these types of applications when it comes to localized networks for news or banks. I will say that fact that WP allows you to pin pretty much anything to your start screen with a fluidity unlike Andriod or Apple nolifies that point since you can still have the same access, and in some cases more because you're accessing the actual site itself. Now for some, this my be an incomvenience, but I would recommend you trying it out and seeing if you find yourself at a real disadvantage.
Now for the games...it's like the PS/Xbox debate. You have cross platform games and unique games. I love playing games that everyone has, but I like playing games that I like better, and I'd take the pepsi challenge with any Andriod or iPhone to compare games straight up. Halo: Spartan Assualt, not only is unique to the WP, but it's gaming experience is unique period. Modern Combat 4, Mirrors Edge, Gridd, Mass Effects: Infiltrator, SIMS, to games like Wordament and Snap Attack. Add the fact that if you're friends have Xbox Live accounts they can connect via that medium on a lot of games has ultimately led 10 of my co workers switching from iPhone or Andriod to WP. You can make the arguement all you want about and "app gap" I'll give you that, yet even with that, more and more are switching..so the questions isn't is there and "app gap?" The question is at the end of the day does it matter.

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site

There is plenty of parity if you bother to look. Your banking apps is up to that particular institution to build for WP..not Microsoft,and as far as notes...there is over 21 note apps on the market.

Mac

Nest is some app to control your thermostat remotely, and as far a "note" apps, I need no other than one-note. I don't know what uber is, and as far as games, whatever...there's plenty of high quality ones. Banking apps are great, but if one must have a certain one, there's always the website.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Nest is some app to control your thermostat remotely, and as far a "note" apps, I need no other than one-note. I don't know what uber is, and as far as games, whatever...there's plenty of high quality ones. Banking apps are great, but if one must have a certain one, there's always the website.

Having 'enough' games means nothing. Everything is social these days. I don't really care if WP has Spartan Assault - it doesn't have Quizup and I play that with friends a lot. Just not having Candy Crush is enough to make a very large number of people not even consider WP.

Uber is a very popular car service: uber.com

Similarly, web apps are not always as functional as the native apps. E.g. my bank's mobile site doesn't let you do much more than view account information, transactions and report stolen cards. The native app allows me to make money transfers, which is what I mainly need.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Having 'enough' games means nothing. Everything is social these days. I don't really care if WP has Spartan Assault - it doesn't have Quizup and I play that with friends a lot. Just not having Candy Crush is enough to make a very large number of people not even consider WP.

Similarly, web apps are not always as functional as the native apps. E.g. my bank's mobile site doesn't let you do much more than view account information, transactions and report stolen cards. The native app allows me to make money transfers, which is what I mainly need.

I got news for you...not everything is social these days.For every one on it the vast majority are not. Now,I know that is what they want,for everyone to connect with them,but I can honestly say more connect via regular texting and...gosh..telephone calls along with Skype and facetime.

Not everyone is into putting their info on one if the social media chat rooms,and no,a public forum is not considered the same as twitter or facebook.

Mac

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I got news for you...not everything is social these days.For every one on it the vast majority are not. Now,I know that is what they want,for everyone to connect with them,but I can honestly say more connect via regular texting and...gosh..telephone calls along with Skype and facetime.

Not everyone is into putting their info on one if the social media chat rooms,and no,a public forum is not considered the same as twitter or facebook.

Mac

Thank you, if there was one thing I could get rid of on all smartphones, it would be the "login" or "sign in" garbage on the majority of apps/games. I don't feel the need to share my Tetris scores with the internet world. I guess some do...

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site

So having enough high quality games, with more coming every day means nothing on WP, but means the world on android...yeah. Like I asked the other android loyalist who hangs around WPC, why aren't you over at android central giving high fives?

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Mac

*sigh*

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Mac

This is why WP will continue to fall behind, fans like you think "oh I don't need it so no one does", when in reality day in an day out people chose other platforms because of the "app gap". Your needs are fulfilled there is no arguing that, but for the millions of other potential users they are social and share everything between candy crush, pet rescue saga, don`t tap the white tile to a host of cross platform games that are on iOS and Android there is a lot missing for the average user, don't get caught up in that thought there isn't. Look at Rudy now, his studio might get sued by beats and then what will happen to all of those apps he made then? The "app gap" is only visible if you choose to see it.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
So having enough high quality games, with more coming every day means nothing on WP, but means the world on android...yeah. Like I asked the other android loyalist who hangs around WPC, why aren't you over at android central giving high fives?

Because WPCentral is an open forum and people like me have been here way longer than you have judging everyone else.

evanwaustin

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I don't use a ton of apps, but comparing with other OS platforms I would say without question 6snap is better than both Android and iOS Snapchat. Way more functionality, like being able to use a previously taken picture, not having to f**king hold the screen the entire time, etc.

The greatest area of deficiency I find is games that you play with others. There is a trivia game my friends play I don't get.

Uber is another missing app but I just pin the mobile site to my 'Start' screen and it functions just fine. I would imagine Nest is the same way but I'm not fortunate enough to own a Nest so I wouldn't know.

Evan

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Rudy's apps are amazing as he needs to make them amazing in order to survive. He has the incentive to create beautiful apps, and that he did.

Now to games. Yes WP has a lot of fun exclusive games, and yes you can play between friends and up to 10 people or what. But we look at reality, and look at your surroundings. Can you play these games with others using Android and iOS (the majority)? Can you brag to friends that you beat the high score in your particular exclusive WP game, and compare it then with theirs who don't even have the game? No. I myself play my Xbox game apps on my Surface 2 alone, and when my friends look at it, they're amazed but not swayed enough to switch.

Let's look at trends such as Candy Crush and Flappy Bird. You can brag to your friends that you reach this level in Candy Crush, and survived this long in Flappy Bird, if you have iOS and Android. In WP? We get Flappy Bird way after the hype is gone. You see that Asphalt game I'm playing right now? Yeah it's limited to only me, as no one uses WP or Windows tablet in my surroundings. So now you say there is no app gap? How so? If you want to play alone, then play Skyrim or Fallout.

Another prominent is Clash of Clans. I see left and right in class that everyone is playing Clash of Clans, and they seem to enjoy it a lot and talk about it a lot. Me? I'm just sitting here, playing my Xbox Solitaire, or Kingdoms & Lords. The trend now is social media and games, not news, sms, or calling anymore. People use Whatsapp, Instagram, Snapchat, Clash of Clans, Candy Crush. Those are the trends. Trends live and die quickly, and WP could not fill those app gaps as quickly as after the trend dies, then the app comes in, it's not as fun anymore.

Sure some of you say "Oh but I don't use social media as much and I enjoy playing my own games." Yes that's you, not the public. "Oh but we got a lot of alternatives." Yes, only SOME, not all. The public is greedy, they want all apps, not just some. Teenagers, they have to connect with their friends, they have to be in the trend. Teenagers make the majority of the public who buy and use smartphones, they are the trendsetters. Being a hipster (i.e Using WP), brings both a sense of coolness and mystery, yet gives the feeling of distant and unrelatable. When you show off what your WP can do, people just say "Wow that's cool!" but stop at that, nothing more. They are not swayed enough to switch due to the rumors of having no apps, which is partially true. When you use WP, you can do this and that, but usually can't do what the trend does. The trend wants the hottest apps, who comes in fast into Android and iOS.

There is an app gap.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Rudy's apps are amazing as he needs to make them amazing in order to survive. He has the incentive to create beautiful apps, and that he did.

Now to games. Yes WP has a lot of fun exclusive games, and yes you can play between friends and up to 10 people or what. But we look at reality, and look at your surroundings. Can you play these games with others using Android and iOS (the majority)? Can you brag to friends that you beat the high score in your particular exclusive WP game, and compare it then with theirs who don't even have the game? No. I myself play my Xbox game apps on my Surface 2 alone, and when my friends look at it, they're amazed but not swayed enough to switch.

Let's look at trends such as Candy Crush and Flappy Bird. You can brag to your friends that you reach this level in Candy Crush, and survived this long in Flappy Bird, if you have iOS and Android. In WP? We get Flappy Bird way after the hype is gone. You see that Asphalt game I'm playing right now? Yeah it's limited to only me, as no one uses WP or Windows tablet in my surroundings. So now you say there is no app gap? How so? If you want to play alone, then play Skyrim or Fallout.

Another prominent is Clash of Clans. I see left and right in class that everyone is playing Clash of Clans, and they seem to enjoy it a lot and talk about it a lot. Me? I'm just sitting here, playing my Xbox Solitaire, or Kingdoms & Lords. The trend now is social media and games, not news, sms, or calling anymore. People use Whatsapp, Instagram, Snapchat, Clash of Clans, Candy Crush. Those are the trends. Trends live and die quickly, and WP could not fill those app gaps as quickly as after the trend dies, then the app comes in, it's not as fun anymore.

Sure some of you say "Oh but I don't use social media as much and I enjoy playing my own games." Yes that's you, not the public. "Oh but we got a lot of alternatives." Yes, only SOME, not all. The public is greedy, they want all apps, not just some. Teenagers, they have to connect with their friends, they have to be in the trend. Teenagers make the majority of the public who buy and use smartphones, they are the trendsetters. Being a hipster (i.e Using WP), brings both a sense of coolness and mystery, yet gives the feeling of distant and unrelatable. When you show off what your WP can do, people just say "Wow that's cool!" but stop at that, nothing more. They are not swayed enough to switch due to the rumors of having no apps, which is partially true. When you use WP, you can do this and that, but usually can't do what the trend does. The trend wants the hottest apps, who comes in fast into Android and iOS.

There is an app gap.

^^^^All of this. ^^^^

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I don't use a ton of apps, but comparing with other OS platforms I would say without question 6snap is better than both Android and iOS Snapchat. Way more functionality, like being able to use a previously taken picture, not having to f**king hold the screen the entire time, etc.

The greatest area of deficiency I find is games that you play with others. There is a trivia game my friends play I don't get.

Uber is another missing app but I just pin the mobile site to my 'Start' screen and it functions just fine. I would imagine Nest is the same way but I'm not fortunate enough to own a Nest so I wouldn't know.

Evan

Have you used the new Snapchat? It's really evolved in the latest release. My wife will not put it down. 6snap is nice but the late notifications kill it for me.

cgavula

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Actually, WP is not good in games. Many of the big titles from EA like Simpsons Tapped Out and Dungeon Keeper are MIA as is a decent version of titles like Civilization Revolution (the WP version is awful compared to the iOS version).

WP is weak in foreign language learning apps. Big players like Byki and Eurotalk and Innovative Language and others just aren't on the platform. This category not important to you? Maybe not, but there are many such categories not well filled out yet and it's those things that make the app gap real.

Many local apps and store apps are either missing or have weaker versions on WP than iOS or Android.

Let's not forget the lack of Cisco VPN support on WP or RT - that's a biggie for many of us.

Big travel apps like FlightTrack5 and TripIt are still missing (and 3rd party apps don't quite fill the space, sorry).

I have an iPhone and and Android and several WP devices and my daily driver is a Lumia 1520, but the people who claim the app gap is an illusion are mistaken and believe there is no gap simply because they haven't fallen into it. If the gap didn't exist, or there were decent EQUIVALENT substitutes, then I wouldn't need to retain those other devices, but the fact is there IS still a gap and it is problematic.

That said, the gap IS shrinking. Things are better than they were even a year ago and I expect it to keep improving - but slowly.

And if you have a Windows RT device - the app gap between that and the iPad is even worse! I'm desperately hoping that 2 things happen: 1) universal apps start popping up so many WP titles become available on RT, and 2) they fix it so larger format devices, like the 1520, can run some more tablet like apps.

​I'd love to have seen the new office that iPad got made available for the Lumia 1520, but then again we don't have printing or BT keyboard support on WP yet - another gap that needs to be filled!

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

Mac

Most of your post is incoherent and doesn't really make sense, but I'll try to reply to what I can understand.

When I said social, I meant it in the context of an activity shared among friends or acquaintances. I wasn't referring to social networks. I was referring to apps like Quizup being social, i.e. allowing my friends to play with me. Multiplayer may have been a better word to use. Anyway. The point is that even if WP gets similar apps and games as iOS and Android, they are not the same and may be incompatible with iOS/Android versions. Thus it doesn't make a difference - the experience is about playing with friends and unfortunately, with WP's market share being so low, usually nobody else has a WP.

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Because WPCentral is an open forum and people like me have been here way longer than you have judging everyone else.

I don't care how long you've been here, good for you. When I see childish posts such as yours, arguing about sharing scores on candy crush and other silly children's games, i laugh and can make judgments. Even I were here for only 3 minutes.

I'll settle now-
Yes there is an app gap-deal with it, or don't.
-no androids UI is not fluid like WP or ios
-no, not everyone cares about stupid, social media
-or silly kiddy games
You do? Great, good for you.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

It doesn't mean much on either platform, actually. And I'd disagree with your statements that there are 'enough' games and that there are more coming 'every day'.

You need to have the games that people want. MS could make a WP that runs Crysis and Titanfall perfectly, and it may still not be successful. And again, considering that most games have some form of social integration (like Candy Crush) any 3rd party substitute or similar app on WP is not really satisfactory.

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't mean much on either platform, actually. And I'd disagree with your statements that there are 'enough' games and that there are more coming 'every day'.

You need to have the games that people want. MS could make a WP that runs Crysis and Titanfall perfectly, and it may still not be successful. And again, considering that most games have some form of social integration (like Candy Crush) any 3rd party substitute or similar app on WP is not really satisfactory.

Disagree, so what? Doesn't mean that's its not happening. Obviously I'm in the wrong place if there's going to be arguments about these types of games, maybe its me but I don't consider candy crush and such any benefit to my mobile experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99