Is there a real "app gap"?

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
The fact that WP allows you to post practically anything to your start screen pretty much silents the issue about applications outside of games. For example, I like reading the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. There is an app for iOS and Andriod, but not one for Windows phone, so what did I do, I pinned the webpage to my startscreen. I can label it what I want, customize the tile to have it look like I want and it launches the website when I click on it, which is better than the app anyway. Not only can you access the mobile sites of applications like Eurotalk and Byki, but there are other apps the represent the same services. Just beause you're not familiar with them doesn't mean they don't do a sufficient job.
Big name travel apps like Flighttrack 5??? I travel all the time and I haven't heard of that. I use KAYAK, or Tripadvisor, both of which are available on WP. Those are household name travel sites. As for WP not having good games is hogwash. There are tons of great titles. Albiet not always the most popular. The things about trends is that they fade. Again, I understand the Candy Crushers out there and Flappy Birdbrains, not having the satisfaction of playing in a socially connected environment would feel restrictive. However that doesn't correlate to WP not having good games. To be honest I never was a big fan of candy crush saga. However I love Wordament, which I can connect with players who have Xbox live accounts. I love playing Tetris Blitz which is a classic game, not a here one moment gone the next fad, and I can either connect with friends on Facebook, or Xbox. UNO and Trivial Pursuit are others that I can connect with Xbox live. There are a host of other games that can do that, not to mention some flat out bad *** titles period. As I've stated before, I rogered up to there being an "app gap" in the sense of what an application is suppose to do, but the simple fact remains that with all this back an forth Andriod and iPhone users and still putting their phones down and picking up Windows Phones more and more. I wonder why that is?

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Most of your post is incoherent and doesn't really make sense, but I'll try to reply to what I can understand.

When I said social, I meant it in the context of an activity shared among friends or acquaintances. I wasn't referring to social networks. I was referring to apps like Quizup being social, i.e. allowing my friends to play with me. Multiplayer may have been a better word to use. Anyway. The point is that even if WP gets similar apps and games as iOS and Android, they are not the same and may be incompatible with iOS/Android versions. Thus it doesn't make a difference - the experience is about playing with friends and unfortunately, with WP's market share being so low, usually nobody else has a WP.

My post isn't incoherent,you just don't understand that not everyone gives a ratts **** about multiplayer gaming..

What part do you not understand that there will always be specific apps including games that never will be cross platform?

This is to entice people who are caught up with current fads to switch carriers or platforms.

The vast majority of those who claim WP is at a disadvantage is because of either a lack of some social media type app or some game they can't play.

This isn't a real app gap, it is a perceived app gap because your favorite app or game isn't available or isn't cross platform or is a carrier exclusive.

I know there are many instances of this with the big 3 and there always will be. Any gap you see is a opportunity to find a solution or get involved in developing yourself or supporting those who are. Crying because you can't play your favorite game is childish. Go with a Android or IPhone if that is all that you want to do with your phones.

Most adults choose to utilize their smart phones for more productive matters.This is where WP shines brightest and where it is headed once all of its platforms are integrated,everything else will come in time.

Mac

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Bragging to friends about high scores? Following trends? I'm in the wrong forum, is there an adult section? Lol.

Wp is not for toddlers its smart tool rather than smart toy great for productivity via live tiles.you can pin anything on the start screen unlike iphone or android.you can access any notes or even contacts by pinning everything to the start screen which no os offers in intuitive way like wp.for apps nd games have ipad for phones use wp simple.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Disagree, so what? Doesn't mean that's its not happening. Obviously I'm in the wrong place if there's going to be arguments about these types of games, maybe its me but I don't consider candy crush and such any benefit to my mobile experience.

Exactly playing graphic intensive games kill battery for games get a xbox one or ps3.games also warm your phone very quickly which.is not good for the phone battery.atleast get an ipad to play your favourite game if u cant afford get nexus tab.it will quench ypur game thirst.i dont know about others i wont play games in a phones.may be others like playing games 24*7.:-S:thumbup::thumbdown::eek:

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
The fact that WP allows you to post practically anything to your start screen pretty much silents the issue about applications outside of games. For example, I like reading the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. There is an app for iOS and Andriod, but not one for Windows phone, so what did I do, I pinned the webpage to my startscreen. I can label it what I want, customize the tile to have it look like I want and it launches the website when I click on it, which is better than the app anyway. Not only can you access the mobile sites of applications like Eurotalk and Byki, but there are other apps the represent the same services. Just beause you're not familiar with them doesn't mean they don't do a sufficient job.
Big name travel apps like Flighttrack 5??? I travel all the time and I haven't heard of that. I use KAYAK, or Tripadvisor, both of which are available on WP. Those are household name travel sites. As for WP not having good games is hogwash. There are tons of great titles. Albiet not always the most popular. The things about trends is that they fade. Again, I understand the Candy Crushers out there and Flappy Birdbrains, not having the satisfaction of playing in a socially connected environment would feel restrictive. However that doesn't correlate to WP not having good games. To be honest I never was a big fan of candy crush saga. However I love Wordament, which I can connect with players who have Xbox live accounts. I love playing Tetris Blitz which is a classic game, not a here one moment gone the next fad, and I can either connect with friends on Facebook, or Xbox. UNO and Trivial Pursuit are others that I can connect with Xbox live. There are a host of other games that can do that, not to mention some flat out bad *** titles period. As I've stated before, I rogered up to there being an "app gap" in the sense of what an application is suppose to do, but the simple fact remains that with all this back an forth Andriod and iPhone users and still putting their phones down and picking up Windows Phones more and more. I wonder why that is?

Yah i agree you get a 6 inch.or 5 inch wp phone nd pin websites to your start screen u can access them on the go.smaller screens like 4 to 4.5 inches strain your eyes.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't care how long you've been here, good for you. When I see childish posts such as yours, arguing about sharing scores on candy crush and other silly children's games, i laugh and can make judgments. Even I were here for only 3 minutes.

I'll settle now-
Yes there is an app gap-deal with it, or don't.
-no androids UI is not fluid like WP or ios
-no, not everyone cares about stupid, social media
-or silly kiddy games
You do? Great, good for you.

You don't that's the point. But for the millions that don't choose WP because of apps there is a problem. I don't know why that is so hard to grasp. I am not trying to start anything but you are not getting it.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Did I step into Crack berry forums? Because some here are practically saying tools not toys which is what BlackBerry said for a while and guess where they are now? I understand fans may not want the apps, but the platform is not doing well because it does not have access to those apps. Then the platform is not getting the apps because the user base is small. It's a vicious circle.

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site

I don't think you understand the situation entirely. It's not about WP not having good games. It's about WP not having the popular games. Candy Crush isn't a great game but its social and over 500 million people have installed it. That's 100s of millions of people who won't be able to enjoy the game on WP. Some of those people won't even buy a WP for the simple fact that it doesn't have the game. People like to be part of popular things. Don't even get me started on Clash of Clans.

Every few months some startup hits it big with a new app. Am i going to be able to have it install on my 925? I'm going to go with no and that's just going to leave me reaching for my 5s or one of my GPE devices. Not only am I not going to have the app, I'm also going to have to have people like you tell me that "WP doesnt need that app". Then in a year or two (or never), it'll come to WP or Rudy will make a really nice app if possible. Luckily im a nerd and have the disposable income to have extra devices while i wait . Normal people are not so patient and don't want to deal with this over and over.

Last edited:

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
The Eurovision 2014 app is not available for WP8. That says it all, the app gap is a serious problem on that point alone. No way to argue out of that one.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you understand the situation entirely. It's not about WP not having good games. It's about WP not having the popular games. Candy Crush isn't a great game but its social and over 500 million people have installed it. That's 100s of millions of people who won't be able to enjoy the game on WP. Some of those people won't even buy a WP for the simple fact that it doesn't have the game. People like to be part of popular things. Don't even get me started on Clash of Clans.

Every few months some startup hits it big with a new app. Am i going to be able to have it install on my 925? I'm going to go with no and that's just going to leave me reaching for my 5s or one of my GPE devices. Not only am I not going to have the app, I'm also going to have to have people like you tell me the "WP doesnt need that app". Then in a year or two (or never), it'll come to WP or Rudy will make a really nice app if possible. Luckily im a nerd and have the disposable income to have extra devices while i wait . Normal people are not so patient and don't want to deal with this over and over.

Exactly and most people i know would refuse to get a Windows Phone purely on the fact it doesn't have Candy Crush Saga. One app can and often does make or break a purchase.

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Did I step into Crack berry forums? Because some here are practically saying tools not toys which is what BlackBerry said for a while and guess where they are now? I understand fans may not want the apps, but the platform is not doing well because it does not have access to those apps. Then the platform is not getting the apps because the user base is small. It's a vicious circle.

I understand exactly what your saying about the apps, and I agree there is a gap. I guess I'm having hard time grasping the fact that people are so into a mobile game.

yaron zeevik

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
which app do you use for making the tiles?

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I understand exactly what your saying about the apps, and I agree there is a gap. I guess I'm having hard time grasping the fact that people are so into a mobile game.

I personally used to play Fun Run (cross platform multiplayer game on iOS and Android) last year and popular games when they were out. But I am in college now so I play mobile games very rarely. But for a majority of smartphone users (under 30s) they need to be in the trends as far as apps and games and they share more than ever from their phone. Games like Temple Run ask you to share your high score to Facebook or Twitter. Games like Candy Crush or Pet Rescue Saga tie directly into Facebook and are addictive. Games like Flappy Birds or Clash of Clans took consumers phones by storm. It is just how the market works right now.

I am unlike most in my age group (18-24) and I use my phone for productivity. But for everyone else there is popular games and apps abound.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
And yet you hear more and more users switching to Windows Phones. Trust me I get the question. I agreed with you. All I'm stating is its becoming lesser of an issue because WP is getting more consumer interest at the expense of Apple and Android, not the other way around

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
And yet you hear more and more users switching to Windows Phones. Trust me I get the question. I agreed with you. All I'm stating is its becoming lesser of an issue because WP is getting more consumer interest at the expense of Apple and Android, not the other way around

I guess the true metric will be how many people stay with Windows Phone to determine as to whether or not I'm eating my words.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

If you use WPCentral as people are switching to WP in great numbers, you are doing it wrong. More people switch between iOS and Android than people switching to a third platform.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
The truth is consumers have always had a better user satisfaction with WP. Just look at the reviews. The true metric is right in front of you. How many people are switching from WP to the other ecosystems? No where near as much as the other way around. Android and Apple had a stranglehold on the mobile market, yet MS dove in, took their lumps and is not only still standing put gaining favor as more and more of the crowd is cheering for them. Kind of a role reversal for them, but they know how to play the game.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The truth is consumers have always had a better user satisfaction with WP. Just look at the reviews. The true metric is right in front of you. How many people are switching from WP to the other ecosystems? No where near as much as the other way around. Android and Apple had a stranglehold on the mobile market, yet MS dove in, took their lumps and is not only still standing put gaining favor as more and more of the crowd is cheering for them. Kind of a role reversal for them, but they know how to play the game.

While people are satisfied with WP, there is such a smaller user base of course more would be switching to than from.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to break this down to the most elementary of terms to try and alleviate any further confusion.

1. I've stated in my initial comment in this forum, that I agreed about there being an "app gap" in the sense of what and appication is supposed to provide. However since you can pretty much pin anything to you start screen, a feature you can't do with iPhones or Andriod, it pretty much mutes that argument because you and still access the mobile sites, or the actual websites with ease.

So that brings us to the biggest issue in my opinion and that's games. Now, again, I know those people that like trending games see this as a deal breaker and I've aknowledged that as well. My comments about the games was geared to those that didn't think WP had any good games. That was simply an incorrect statement.

Ultimately my closing comment was looking at the bigger picture which goes beyone trending games and fadish apps. It's about the staying power that WP has presented in the case of more and more iPhone and Andriod users switching. In the bigger picture this issue is holding less water, one because developers are starting to drop games for WP that are on iOS and Andriod, and at the same time, and even sooner in some instances, but the biggest reason is the overall experience which is dulling the "app gap" argument little by little, but dulling it nevertheless.

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site

Apple and the iPhone have had the highest customer satisfaction for the last few years. That is the real truth. WP growing 119% on around 13.2 million units in the last quarter is impressive on the surface until you look at iOS and Android. iOS grew only 17% while android only grew 24%. However, that was on 43.7 million and 187 million units respectively. While I agree that more and people are moving to WP, I wouldn't really say that it's at the expense of iOS and Android. I'm also not so sure MS knows how to "play the game" considering the stagnant worldwide marketshare. I have no idea how we got this far off subject though. :straight:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720