Is there a real "app gap"?

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
There are those that want complete autonomy when it comes to an OS, and for that Android should be the ecosystem of choice. Those also attract malware, fishing, spoofing and a gambit of other hacking processes. I like having the notion of the manufacturer of the OS, regulate its access. This is why many enterprises won't consider Android because of the lack of security. I don't need to choose from another store to by apps.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
There are those that want complete autonomy when it comes to an OS, and for that Android should be the ecosystem of choice. Those also attract malware, fishing, spoofing and a gambit of other hacking processes. I like having the notion of the manufacturer of the OS, regulate its access. This is why many enterprises won't consider Android because of the lack of security. I don't need to choose from another store to by apps.

People often forget the majority of that hacking spoofing and whatnot happens outside of the U.S. where malware is more common in app stores not of Google's own creation. Furthermore, I doubt many people pirate apps anyways, and that's if they can in the first place.

Considering Samsung and it's Knox software are now being used for enterprise. There are some Android devices in enterprise. In great numbers? No.

It's always interesting how people here and on CrackBerry love to tout how their platform is so secure, but security does not sell devices, now does it? Because if that was the case BlackBerry would be doing well, and WP wouldn't be sitting at 4% of the smartphone market.

I am just stating facts, no one cares about security anymore and I think it is often forgotten a platform can't survive on Enterprise alone. Again see BlackBerry for proof of that.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
People often forget the majority of that hacking spoofing and whatnot happens outside of the U.S. where malware is more common in app stores not of Google's own creation. Furthermore, I doubt many people pirate apps anyways, and that's if they can in the first place.

Considering Samsung and it's Knox software are now being used for enterprise. There are some Android devices in enterprise. In great numbers? No.

It's always interesting how people here and on CrackBerry love to tout how their platform is so secure, but security does not sell devices, now does it? Because if that was the case BlackBerry would be doing well, and WP wouldn't be sitting at 4% of the smartphone market.

I am just stating facts, no one cares about security anymore and I think it is often forgotten a platform can't survive on Enterprise alone. Again see BlackBerry for proof of that.

As if my profile picture didn't suggeset it, I've been in the military for almost 19 years, grew up in it, and let me tell you...it's the new war out there. People like me are concerned with security like this so poeple like you don't have to be. One of Blackberry's biggest consumers was the DOD. Now why do you think with Blackberry tanking, they're not rushing over to grab the latest Andriod technology? Blackberry is strictly legacy which is why it fell apart. A lot of the government is already entrenched in Microsoft technology so it's nothing like Blackberry. It makes perfect sense to entertain WP for that reason. You can use the 4% market share all you want, but lets see what it's like next year. If this past year was any indication, it will be around 8%, which is showing a frightening trend for the likes of Apple and Andriod. To go from just over 1% to 4% in a year is pretty remarkable. You may be tied into microsofts equipment, but you can still have some freedom. You can use other browsers, other media outputs, other office processing applications, and a host of others. You just can't imitage or emulate another system because that's where the security issues come into play. Microsoft has been surviving on enterprise alone for almost 10 years. Now that they're finally starting to look at the individual consumer the reason that they won't follow in the footsteps of Blackberry.

Sebaslight

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
As i read before... The problem, at least for my country, are the local apps... banks, police services, my university has one, restaurant apps, metro 🚇 apps, even one that lets you download paid apps for free...... Are those apps on WP????... Nope... That's why people (here) doesn't like this platform because if you have WP, like me, and the rest of the people you know have Android or iOS you will be left behind in terms of compatibility.... "you can't send music on whatsapp?""you don't have candy crush?""play with me on trivia crack.. Oh you don't have it?""make your walking dead zombie... You can't??!""let's fight on clash of clans... Why can't you?""what's your game of thrones name and character?... What is wrong with your phone?".. A former WP friend got tired of this and she bought a galaxy s4... I'm considering it too.... It's just that Those things make you regret being a WP user some times... ATT: Sebastian

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
As if my profile picture didn't suggeset it, I've been in the military for almost 19 years, grew up in it, and let me tell you...it's the new war out there. People like me are concerned with security like this so poeple like you don't have to be. One of Blackberry's biggest consumers was the DOD. Now why do you think with Blackberry tanking, they're not rushing over to grab the latest Andriod technology? Blackberry is strictly legacy which is why it fell apart. A lot of the government is already entrenched in Microsoft technology so it's nothing like Blackberry. It makes perfect sense to entertain WP for that reason. You can use the 4% market share all you want, but lets see what it's like next year. If this past year was any indication, it will be around 8%, which is showing a frightening trend for the likes of Apple and Andriod. To go from just over 1% to 4% in a year is pretty remarkable. You may be tied into microsofts equipment, but you can still have some freedom. You can use other browsers, other media outputs, other office processing applications, and a host of others. You just can't imitage or emulate another system because that's where the security issues come into play. Microsoft has been surviving on enterprise alone for almost 10 years. Now that they're finally starting to look at the individual consumer the reason that they won't follow in the footsteps of Blackberry.

Even if Microsoft hits 8%, what is that to over 20% for Apple and the rest being Android? They are not a serious threat to either right now. Again as security is touted for WP, we also can not forget the best selling WP devices (and the most common) are the 520/521 which I highly doubt are used in business environments much.

Also, I know the synergy of Microsoft services entices, it really only works if those businesses and governments are on Windows 8 and above and we all know when it comes to enterprise growth rate for new OS's are painfully slow.

Another thing Microsoft has survived on Enterprise for a a variety of services. Mobile wise, you can't throw all your eggs in one basket. BlackBerry tried being a consumer and prosumer brand but that did nothing but divide their focus. Now that they made it to BB10 and finally got their feet don't the ground mobile wise, everyone else has moved on as the faithful lose trust in BlackBerry and everyone else moves to iOS and Android.

The thing about mobile is that it is driven by trends and it driven by normal consumers. Companies are now literally living and dying if they can't catch favor with regular consumers and I think that is very telling of how the mobile market works right now.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Again, Blackberry was legacy. Its own closed system. In order to make a lasting imprint on anything you have to make calculated moves. MSFT isn't looking at catching Android..they're looking at Apple. One thing we know is neither Androids or Apples market share is growing. Yet WP is. So you ask what is 8% to Apples 20%? Its no longer 20%. If Android maintains their share and WP grows, something has to give. The current trend is the while both WP and Android have seen increases, Apple has seen decreases. Now the numbers my seem miniscule, but its the principle that a system of circumstances has started to occur that speaks well for WP. 8% for WP could mean 16% for Apple. Those numbers don't seem so daunting now. There's more signs to suggest WP will continue to increase in popularity than Apple will. I don't think MSFT would mind being second in a mobile market while owning the desktop one.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Again, Blackberry was legacy. Its own closed system. In order to make a lasting imprint on anything you have to make calculated moves. MSFT isn't looking at catching Android..they're looking at Apple. One thing we know is neither Androids or Apples market share is growing. Yet WP is. So you ask what is 8% to Apples 20%? Its no longer 20%. If Android maintains their share and WP grows, something has to give. The current trend is the while both WP and Android have seen increases, Apple has seen decreases. Now the numbers my seem miniscule, but its the principle that a system of circumstances has started to occur that speaks well for WP. 8% for WP could mean 16% for Apple. Those numbers don't seem so daunting now. There's more signs to suggest WP will continue to increase in popularity than Apple will. I don't think MSFT would mind being second in a mobile market while owning the desktop one.

Blackberry was legacy. But their main problem was following the trends in the market.

While Apple and BlackBerry is decreasing, Android is increasing while WP is increasing. This tells me that the main platform people are jumping to is Android. Why only Android? The 520/521 being the most popular wouldn't be a devices someone on Android would jump to so I can only infer that WP is gaining from non smartphone people. And I think that was Nokia's plan from the beginning. Get market share, get repeat customers etc. Android is growing more than ever on the high end and WP is growing at lower price points.

Attachments

• 7351.jpg
    7351.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 70

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Blackberry was legacy. But their main problem was following the trends in the market.

While Apple and BlackBerry is decreasing, Android is increasing while WP is increasing. This tells me that the main platform people are jumping to is Android. Why only Android? The 520/521 being the most popular wouldn't be a devices someone on Android would jump to so I can only infer that WP is gaining from non smartphone people. And I think that was Nokia's plan from the beginning. Get market share, get repeat customers etc. Android is growing more than ever on the high end and WP is growing at lower price points.

thats not true its more people who get frustrated with ios and android who switch
your generalising and speaking about stuff on paper not real world

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
thats not true its more people who get frustrated with ios and android who switch
your generalising and speaking about stuff on paper not real world

Considering the fact that the 520/521 ate the most popular WP in the U.S. and seeing the small gain for WP market share, and the fact iOS is losing market share and Android is gaining market share as well, I think my projections are pretty spot on.

I thought this was a good thing? WP is growing, albeit at lower price points as compared to the high end.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Just wait until the 630/930 drops. They're already saying it combines the most powerful specs for the price. Android is increasing ever so slowly. WP is increasing faster. Remember 8.1 is just now official with the 630 so you know you'll see a spike for WP. The key is to offset the excitement for the iPhone 6, that it still shows WP increase even after Apple drops their new flagship phone.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Just wait until the 630/930 drops. They're already saying it combines the most powerful specs for the price. Android is increasing ever so slowly. WP is increasing faster. Remember 8.1 is just now official with the 630 so you know you'll see a spike for WP. The key is to offset the excitement for the iPhone 6, that it still shows WP increase even after Apple drops their new flagship phone.

Once the 630 does drop it will be compared heavily to the Moto G. They are in the same price bracket. The 930 considering the specs is not bad. But a 801 Snapdragon instead of 800 would have really made a statement. Considering the 920, 1020, and 1520 were AT&T exclusives, this will definitely be exclusive to AT&T. It might hit T-Mobile thought they have been devoted to selling Android and iOS lately.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Considering the fact that the 520/521 ate the most popular WP in the U.S. and seeing the small gain for WP market share, and the fact iOS is losing market share and Android is gaining market share as well, I think my projections are pretty spot on.

I thought this was a good thing? WP is growing, albeit at lower price points as compared to the high end.

wp is a fairly new os, it needs time to gain that much marketshare but given the woes of android(lag in cheaper devices,malware) and ios (cartoonish interface since ios 7,defective buttons and batteries) , it should happen soon
im not saying wp is the best or something but people will want something new and different once they get tired of the hassles of the older tried and tested ones

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Once the 630 does drop it will be compared heavily to the Moto G. They are in the same price bracket. The 930 considering the specs is not bad. But a 801 Snapdragon instead of 800 would have really made a statement. Considering the 920, 1020, and 1520 were AT&T exclusives, this will definitely be exclusive to AT&T. It might hit T-Mobile thought they have been devoted to selling Android and iOS lately.

lumia 630 is a bit of a love-hate sorta phone, it hasnt really replaced the 520/525 at all and is a bit overpriced but since people will be willing to spend that much, the 730 , 530 or whatever other phone will enter that range, it should make up for it
lumia 630 is a dual sim making it a great option for some(not me , i hate dual sim phones)
the best example is the wp8 gen of devices- 520,525,620,625,720(and later on 820 and 920) all had price drops here and there and were(/are) in the same price range as moto g
moto g doesnt have an micro sd card so its a drawback for many of my ow friends who bought phones like micromax , samsung etc only to regret it later and are now looking at the 930,moto x etc

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
wp is a fairly new os, it needs time to gain that much marketshare but given the woes of android(lag in cheaper devices,malware) and ios (cartoonish interface since ios 7,defective buttons and batteries) , it should happen soon
im not saying wp is the best or something but people will want something new and different once they get tired of the hassles of the older tried and tested ones

Buy the things you said are not true. Android has fixed "lag" and malware is such a small problem that is overblown. The iOS stuff you said is completely subjective.

Again, the market is run by trends right now and WP does not have the apps to keep up. And they were never popular to begin with. Unless WP gets the apps other platforms has, people will continue to ignore it.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
lumia 630 is a bit of a love-hate sorta phone, it hasnt really replaced the 520/525 at all and is a bit overpriced but since people will be willing to spend that much, the 730 , 530 or whatever other phone will enter that range, it should make up for it
lumia 630 is a dual sim making it a great option for some(not me , i hate dual sim phones)
the best example is the wp8 gen of devices- 520,525,620,625,720(and later on 820 and 920) all had price drops here and there and were(/are) in the same price range as moto g
moto g doesnt have an micro sd card so its a drawback for many of my ow friends who bought phones like micromax , samsung etc only to regret it later and are now looking at the 930,moto x etc

They all had price drops because they are old. Your friends didn't get a Moto G because of the micro SD slot, yet they are looking at devices without a micro SD slot?

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Buy the things you said are not true. Android has fixed "lag" and malware is such a small problem that is overblown. The iOS stuff you said is completely subjective.

Again, the market is run by trends right now and WP does not have the apps to keep up. And they were never popular to begin with. Unless WP gets the apps other platforms has, people will continue to ignore it.

whatever you said isnt true
android still has alot of malware and lag is seen in every device except nexus and moto devices
wp has all the necessary apps, it has quality instead of quantity
the same way-"good graphics doesnt mean a goog game" even mario is still played by millions even today same way you dont need the extras usually, who needs millions of fart apps??
people dont ignore it, people follow fads of android piracy and iphone's rich status these days mostly
windows phone 8.1 is gonna bash android and ios once it has its bug fixes etc infact its very close to that
last weeks update itself fixed battery life and overheating etc
you dont even own a wp and you wanna talk about its cons!! thats generalising,get that icon you said you wanna buy then post

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
They all had price drops because they are old. Your friends didn't get a Moto G because of the micro SD slot, yet they are looking at devices without a micro SD slot?

seriously?? dude 930 has 32gb inbuilt storage
do you get the difference between 8/16gb and 32gb??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb