Is there a real "app gap"?

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
whatever you said isnt true
android still has alot of malware and lag is seen in every device except nexus and moto devices
wp has all the necessary apps, it has quality instead of quantity
the same way-"good graphics doesnt mean a goog game" even mario is still played by millions even today same way you dont need the extras usually, who needs millions of fart apps??
people dont ignore it, people follow fads of android piracy and iphone's rich status these days mostly
windows phone 8.1 is gonna bash android and ios once it has its bug fixes etc infact its very close to that
last weeks update itself fixed battery life and overheating etc
you dont even own a wp and you wanna talk about its cons!! thats generalising,get that icon you said you wanna buy then post

You can say whatever you want, but malware on Android is such an overblown issue, that discussing it is stupid.

Quality over quantity? Aren't you the same people who complain about apps like WhatsApp or Spotify haven't gotten updated in a long time? Please, its not the numbers and you know that. Its about having all the new and popular apps that other platforms have.

Windows Phone 8.1 is a good update but it brings it to parity with iOS and Android not surpass either in any meaningful way.

If anything YOU are generalizing. You can't tell me nothing new about a platform that I have used and use still for almost 4 years. From Android 2.1 Eclair to 4.4.2. KitKat, I have experienced all the different versions of Android (Samsung, LG, HTC, and Motorola).

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
You can say whatever you want, but malware on Android is such an overblown issue, that discussing it is stupid.

Quality over quantity? Aren't you the same people who complain about apps like WhatsApp or Spotify haven't gotten updated in a long time? Please, its not the numbers and you know that. Its about having all the new and popular apps that other platforms have.

Windows Phone 8.1 is a good update but it brings it to parity with iOS and Android not surpass either in any meaningful way.

If anything YOU are generalizing. You can't tell me nothing new about a platform that I have used and use still for almost 4 years. From Android 2.1 Eclair to 4.4.2. KitKat, I have experienced all the different versions of Android (Samsung, LG, HTC, and Motorola).

Interesting topic... App gap... there will always be those that measure this gap by raw numbers and numbers of who does an app for that pop culture mobile "must have"... it was the same when Android was racing with Apple (nothing like having 1000's of quality "fart" apps). But then as Android grabbed market share... pop culture drove an increase in the number of "must have" apps for Android... it only makes sense. Lots of people touch FB, Twitter... Spotify... etc etc. If you are going to sell phones, people want those "must haves".

It should be looked at as an "acceptance" in the market gap... go to any social, news, or any other popular cyber thingy on the web and look for that site's "APP". Now days you will find the two dominate players... Apple and Android. That seems a bit less at the moment for Windows... as example... Weight Watchers(WW)... I suspect everyone has heard of them, yes? Yeap, got an Apple app to scan and count points... Yeap, got an Android does the same... But where's the Windows App? Well, obvious there's not enough Windows phones in the wild for WW to do a native app... not enough ROI for them pay a developer to create one... and this is the way it always starts... it's not how it finishes though.

IMHO, Windows will get there... when and to what degree? I'm not sure that's known yet.... there is an edge in which it happens... After all, remember when the fruit device fan boyz where stomping about proclaiming their app store was the only real one? Ya... things change. :cool:

~ScottGeek.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

The reason why malware is a mute point on Android is for the very reason I say WP will continue to increase in market share at the expense of Apple and Android, and that's because what impact does Android have on enterprise...next to nothing. The threat is why big business stays away from it. In the eyes of enterprise it's a souped up smartphone ecosystem and a breeding ground for those given the autonomy to build software that compromises security. WP provides that security and the ease of understanding an ecosystem most are familiar with, while incorporating a user experience that bridges the gap between enterprise and entertainment like no other ecosystem can.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

The reason why malware is a mute point on Android is for the very reason I say WP will continue to increase in market share at the expense of Apple and Android, and that's because what impact does Android have on enterprise...next to nothing. The threat is why big business stays away from it. In the eyes of enterprise it's a souped up smartphone ecosystem and a breeding ground for those given the autonomy to build software that compromises security. WP provides that security and the ease of understanding an ecosystem most are familiar with, while incorporating a user experience that bridges the gap between enterprise and entertainment like no other ecosystem can.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Again enterprise is niche, some businesses use Android devices most don't. Enterprise won't break Android whether they use it or not.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
You missed my point. I agree with you about Android being more enterprise ready but enterprises won't be using WP as their primary driver. They'll be using Windows, and that's where Android falls short. WP is an extension of a higher capacity OS, which is MS vision. Like I said before Android is a smartphone OS on steroids. Which from a security perspective is only a concern from a mobile ecosystem perspective. What databases and mainframes utilize Android on a corporate level? What institutions of higher learning utilize Android software on a large scale? WP isn't trying to replace Windows for enterprise, they're trying to allow the enterprise experience to be transient. Android has to decide if it wants to take on enterprise on a large scale like iOS and Windows. That's the market share that they're non-existent in.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
You missed my point. I agree with you about Android being more enterprise ready but enterprises won't be using WP as their primary driver. They'll be using Windows, and that's where Android falls short. WP is an extension of a higher capacity OS, which is MS vision. Like I said before Android is a smartphone OS on steroids. Which from a security perspective is only a concern from a mobile ecosystem perspective. What databases and mainframes utilize Android on a corporate level? What institutions of higher learning utilize Android software on a large scale? WP isn't trying to replace Windows for enterprise, they're trying to allow the enterprise experience to be transient. Android has to decide if it wants to take on enterprise on a large scale like iOS and Windows. That's the market share that they're non-existent in.

WP is not there yet. Android is just as useful as WP for syncing with Microsoft services. The only thing that WP may have is universal apps and that is limited right now. As of right now, there is no clear reason why a business would use WP over Android or iOS.

This also going on the assumption that Business are utilizing Windows 8.1+ on their computers.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Its not about Android being able to sync with MS services because that's a given. Its the lack of control MS has on Android applications that leaves enterprises skeptical to take on Android. Contrary to your statement about companies using Windows 8.1, you're right most aren't because they're still using Windows 7 or even XP like most bank ATM machines. So with an infrastructure already established in MS, why switch? As for universal apps...again you're right, they are limited right now but MS is pushing to make most applications universal. This is where WP will establish its precedence. A mobile link to a universally linked system of services that are replicated over tablets, laptops, desk tops, and even Xboxs.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
MS control on Android applications? They control them very well, I doubt that has businesses worried. Everything you are saying about WP right now is only possibilities and what MAY happen. For eight now in it's present form, I don't see any advantages it has over Android.

Enterprise sees that and Consumers doubly so because of all the missing new and popular apps. And all the apps that have not been updated in a long time.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I will search for the articles that reinforce my statement about universal apps. A lot of the new apps on WP have an icon that looks like phone and computer. That's the universal app icon. Trust me its not just a mere possibility, its the direction MS has positioned itself in and the one where they have a viable advantage. From a purely logical standpoint I would echo your statement about choosing Android over MS, yet you don't see it happening at the enterprise level. WP is tasked with satisfying those consumer doubts which they're doing an admirable job and always improving. So MS is banking on companies adopting Windows 8 like other Windows OSs and as such, employees will see the optic similarities with Windows 8.1 and WP 8.1 and wanting to capture that experience in a Mobil device. Only time will tell, but you cant argue that the trend is good and implications suggest things will get even better.

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Tell me a big business that uses Android. Also tell me why most don't.

In enterprise land where I work... it's call "Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)" support... unless IT shops have a direct policy against using Andriod on the company's infrastructure, BYOD is getting popular... yes even in the corporate world... the company would really rather not buy everyone a cell phone (iPhones/blackberries are expensive even in bulk). So while lots of enterprises do not directly use Android (mostly because last I looked Android is not a Server OS)... to say that it is not used or supported in the enterprise space... yeah, that probably is absolutely true at places like Corporate Apple and Corporate Microsoft.... but in the rest of the IT Enterprise space... it's not all Apple... definitely not a lot of Windows... Traditional it was Blackberry... today it's becoming more diversified.

People bring to work what they have and use it... In the US this tends towards Apple, but in Europe and else where it's Android... Companies have figured out that BYOD can nicely replace that old "behind the modern times" Blackberry system/infrastructure they use to spend lots of money on with BYOD... lots cheaper... As far as Malware... misbehaving devices get banned at the network level... if you do VPN...protection and control is baked in...

It can be scary giving a Corporate Domain Admin total control of your device... but you will not be a trusted device unless you do; That's a general policy of BYOD if you want to have "Enterprise" access. :smile:

~ScottGeek

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
You make my point. You're right about corporates adopting the BYOD, but a lot provide devices at the office level. Take government agencies..Dept of Defense, Homeland Security, Agriculture....they utilize systems with a server OS capacity. Blackberries were given to high ranking officials for around the clock contact because of its security. Now with Blackberry faltering, what would be the logical switch? iPhone..perhaps but too expensive. Android...i think they would be skeptical because of the security risks, so WP would be a best choice. Your typical office job is using what OS..iOS, Android or Windows? Probably used XP and now Windows 7. Those that make the transition to Windows 8 will have the ability to have a mobile Windows device to mirror the desk top experience for the first time. MS hope is that this will entice people to gravitate to WP.

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Android...i think they would be skeptical because of the security risks, so WP would be a best choice. Your typical office job is using what OS..iOS, Android or Windows? Probably used XP and now Windows 7. Those that make the transition to Windows 8 will have the ability to have a mobile Windows device to mirror the desk top experience for the first time. MS hope is that this will entice people to gravitate to WP.

Well, I think once the Corporate world figures out that you can lock down Android and make it secure... some will go that direction... the biggest plus for WP is the space that MS already owns in the Enterprise... lots of the Corporate world runs on MS... and the integration possibilities of an all MS world is appealing to IT's. It keeps down costs.

But BYOD still has a lot of ground to prove... my IT shop keeps trying to push a fruit phone on me :amaze: Yeah, I'll have none of it... just to be able to get to their systems while mobile? I think not. We have Office 365... and with some of that attached to my WP, that's enough for me to know when I need to go to the company laptop to fix/support something :excited:

~ScottGeek.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
the real winner is microsoft, it gets paid for every android and iphone ever sold thanks to its patents and licenses if im not mistaken
even the default search in ios and mac is Bing

TheProductionOf3

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
So... Were not even gonna focus on Spotify?... I honestly do not give 0 ****s about this "App gap" I just want some ******* quality and apps not crashing or freezing my phone, apps that should be free that cost money and STILL are ****.

dkaplan137

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I find the lack of a real calendar to be the biggest gap. I'm not a big media user or game player so can't comment on those areas. But in my year-plus of WP8 (and now 8.1) use, the inability to search old events makes the live.com or hotmail calendar a joke. I've been using, and been frustrated with, True Calendar 8, but I haven't found an app that can work around this limitation. Is there one?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6