05-07-2014 05:38 AM
34 12
tools
    My word flow refuses to show the word "throat". Usually it throws out throaty (note the y), thrust or even throw. No matter how careful and precise I am.
    05-06-2014 12:19 PM
    Tell me, Tapehead..... Where exactly do you live? I find it kind of hard to believe that you can't wrap your head around the fact that calling a straight person "gay" and calling a man a "woman" are, in fact, insults (albeit minor ones).
    I am well aware that certain people subscribe to the notion that homophobia (an extension of misogyny) is the standard attitude all people should have. And that calling people "gay" is a common weapon in the arsenal. But a forward thinking company as Microsoft?

The only way to combat that is to come to the realization that it is NOT an insult, no matter what a person's intentions are.

And I come from Boston. I live in Frankfurt am Main.
    05-06-2014 12:26 PM
    The only way to combat that is to come to the realization that it is NOT an insult, no matter what a person's intentions are.
    As long as there are groups that believe these words are considered vulgar in even only one aspect, then there will be a need to censor it. It's being politically correct in the world we live in now. I don't consider it as homophobia or banning words on Microsoft's end; just as you see it is not being offensive, there's probably someone else that takes it as such. I think they are just trying to play it safe--politically correct comes back to mind.

Simply put, these words won't appear as a first choice with Word Flow because they are considered offensive in some aspect. Same as a few other words that although aren't considered vulgar (unlike f*ck, sh*t, etc.) can still harbor some offense to others.
    05-06-2014 09:45 PM
    This feels slightly (VERY) homophobic.
    Can people stop using the word homophobic? I seriously doubt that anyone has an irrational fear of homosexuals.
    05-06-2014 10:10 PM
    As long as there are groups that believe these words are considered vulgar in even only one aspect, then there will be a need to censor it. It's being politically correct in the world we live in now. I don't consider it as homophobia or banning words on Microsoft's end; just as you see it is not being offensive, there's probably someone else that takes it as such. I think they are just trying to play it safe--politically correct comes back to mind.

Simply put, these words won't appear as a first choice with Word Flow because they are considered offensive in some aspect. Same as a few other words that although aren't considered vulgar (unlike f*ck, sh*t, etc.) can still harbor some offense to others.
    I find it more offensive to sweep it under the rug as if we don't exist. I thought Microsoft better than that. My friend's phone, a Galaxy S3, has the word lesbian and doesn't put it at the end of a damn list. The word is not offensive. Under no circumstances is the word "lesbian" offensive. It's not a slur. It's a description of an aspect of certain people's lives. From my point of view, it's a big deal. Especially from a company that has previously been forwarded thinking about gay rights. I guess it's just another drop in the pot, though.

Can people stop using the word homophobic? I seriously doubt that anyone has an irrational fear of homosexuals.
    Seems to be a fear of being associated with homosexuals for fear of controversy. I'd say that qualifies.
    05-07-2014 03:34 AM
    Gay, gay, gay. Sorry to break it to ya, that word is in the WP word flow/ swipe dictionary "out of the box". Lesbian is not, but lesbianism is. I Don't think it's any overt homophobia, but I do think you are looking for reasons to be offended.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
    05-07-2014 04:56 AM
    Throat. Yep that word used there out of the box also.

05-07-2014 05:03 AM
    Gay, gay, gay. Sorry to break it to ya, that word is in the WP word flow/ swipe dictionary "out of the box". Lesbian is not, but lesbianism is. I Don't think it's any overt homophobia, but I do think you are looking for reasons to be offended.

Opinion noted. Thank you for your contribution.
    05-07-2014 05:16 AM
    Gay also means happy.
    Kevin Sisk likes this.
    05-07-2014 05:38 AM
34 12