Word Flow

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Is there any particular reason why I can't swipe with Word Flow to type the word "lesbian" ?

It literally won't yield a word at all. But it will give you suggestions like Persian, Leavin, and Lesson.

Trying to type "Gay" gives you the word Gassy.

What the hell is this?

I didn't realize being gay or lesbian was a swear word.

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I use polish keyboard and I've got gay-gej and lesbian-lesbijka as the first words while using swype, so I don't have to correct anything. I don't use this words at all, so it has to be like that since the beginning.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about this. I had to train my swype keyboard to learn "FSU" because it kept trying to autocorrect it to "gay," and I had to train the regular type keyboard to learn my last name because it kept autocorrecting to "lesbianism." Also, I just tried to swype gay just to see what would happen, and it was the first thing to come up. Gassy was like 5th on the list. I don't think that there's any type of anti-gay conspiracy going on here. Are you using the U.S. English keyboard?

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about this. I had to train my swype keyboard to learn "FSU" because it kept trying to autocorrect it to "gay," and I had to train the regular type keyboard to learn my last name because it kept autocorrecting to "lesbianism." Also, I just tried to swype gay just to see what would happen, and it was the first thing to come up. Gassy was like 5th on the list. I don't think that there's any type of anti-gay conspiracy going on here. Are you using the U.S. English keyboard?

That's so weird. Yeah, I'm using the US keyboard. If I try to swipe "lesbian," I get "Persian." Lesbian isn't even in the dictionary at ALL.

On the German keyboard, I get "schwul" as the first hit.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
That's so weird. Yeah, I'm using the US keyboard. If I try to swipe "lesbian," I get "Persian." Lesbian isn't even in the dictionary at ALL.

On the German keyboard, I get "schwul" as the first hit.

Hm, I just tested "lesbian" and also got "Persian." Why is "lesbianism" in there, but not "lesbian?" Very strange.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sure somebody when through a list of words NOT to add (swears and things), and some overzealous wad added lesbian and gay. I don't get it.

Splacknuk

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
i tried it contextually, thinking perhaps by itself it's a swear word, but in the sentence it's not. But no. It's Persian for me too. =) Funny.

Ali Assaedi

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
i dont think they banned gay,lesbain, or even sex, because they are swear words.. they removed it to avoid those silly situations when your typing normally and all of a sudden you call someone gay coz of a typing/autocorrect error..

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
i dont think they banned gay,lesbain, or even sex, because they are swear words.. they removed it to avoid those silly situations when your typing normally and all of a sudden you call someone gay coz of a typing/autocorrect error..

Is calling somebody gay an insult?

bsipe9

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm in NE Ohio, using US keyboard on a L810 with 8.1 and I typed gay, lesbian, f@g, f@ggot, etc (I know I have never typed them in a text before) and none of them autocorrected. Is it possible that having your Search settings on strict might be the cause? Or maybe because I use words like sh!t and fuc& frequently it assumes I'm not going to be offended, ha!

And yeah, tapehead, in the US, calling someone gay (especially one who is not gay) is often meant as an insult. Gay doesn't mean merry, happy, etc here anymore and sadly there is still a disproportionate portion of the population who are bigoted against non m/f sexual preference.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm in NE Ohio, using US keyboard on a L810 with 8.1 and I typed gay, lesbian, f@g, f@ggot, etc (I know I have never typed them in a text before) and none of them autocorrected. Is it possible that having your Search settings on strict might be the cause? Or maybe because I use words like sh!t and fuc& frequently it assumes I'm not going to be offended, ha!

And yeah, tapehead, in the US, calling someone gay (especially one who is not gay) is often meant as an insult. Gay doesn't mean merry, happy, etc here anymore and sadly there is still a disproportionate portion of the population who are bigoted against non m/f sexual preference.

I'm American, actually. I was offended by the notion. I will check my settings, though.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Is calling somebody gay an insult?

If it's not, then pro-gay organizations have wasted a lot of money with their "when you say gay, do you know what you say?" commercials.

Side note: I quickly swiped the word gay and I got the word that, SO that would probably make the opposite happen too, and if I had typed "that time was awesome" well... That would've been awkward :S, so I'm glad that they did that.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
tell your boss that he's gay. See how he takes it . Its different from one person to the other, and one culture to the other.

I reject the notion that it is insulting to be called a homosexual the same I would being called a woman. And if it were true that this were the reason Microsoft seems to have erased the word "lesbian" from its dictionary, then I don't even want this phone. People are idiots.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I reject the notion that it is insulting to be called a homosexual the same I would being called a woman. And if it were true that this were the reason Microsoft seems to have erased the word "lesbian" from its dictionary, then I don't even want this phone. People are idiots.

Tell me, Tapehead..... Where exactly do you live? I find it kind of hard to believe that you can't wrap your head around the fact that calling a straight person "gay" and calling a man a "woman" are, in fact, insults (albeit minor ones).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss