Word Flow

bsipe9

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I reject the notion that it is insulting to be called a homosexual the same I would being called a woman. And if it were true that this were the reason Microsoft seems to have erased the word "lesbian" from its dictionary, then I don't even want this phone. People are idiots.

Microsoft has done no such thing. Lesbian showed up just fine and dandy on my phone the very first time I ever typed it. Wasn't autocorrected nor was I given any other suggested word beside lesbianism.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Tell me, Tapehead..... Where exactly do you live? I find it kind of hard to believe that you can't wrap your head around the fact that calling a straight person "gay" and calling a man a "woman" are, in fact, insults (albeit minor ones).

I would also rather ask where you live, where these are "insults".

To insult is to "treat with insolence, indignity, or contempt" according to Webster. Therefore, your thesis is that being gay is synonymous with a person who should be treated in that way.

anon(8504076)

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I've seen many swipe keyboards doing this(Google,Samsung,Asus) so it doesn't suprise me. When I type the word "ibne"(the word Gay in an offensive way) it changes to something like "iğne"(needle). Unfortunately %70 of the world is homophobic and almost everything is made around them.

bsipe9

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I would also rather ask where you live, where these are "insults".

To insult is to "treat with insolence, indignity, or contempt" according to Webster. Therefore, your thesis is that being gay is synonymous with a person who should be treated in that way.

I live where words don't mean verbatim what Webster defines them as. I also live where we read what someone types and don't infer things that they never said. Your ridiculous 'thesis' has zero to do with what Jas actually said. He never said anything negative towards homosexuals. Didn't say it, didn't imply it. All he said, and it's sad that I have to lay this out in so many words, is that he finds it hard to believe that there is anywhere in this world where 100% (not 97%, not 99% but all 5,897,443 people in your country) of the population is so accepting of homosexuality that when confronted by someone using gay as an insult they literally are dumfounded by how that could ever happen. What kind of vacuum must you live in where you have seriously never ever heard of someone being bigoted against homosexuals?

And to clear it up for you, nowhere in that paragraph did I say, imply, infer, suggest that I think it's okay to use gay as a slur, insult, etc. I also think that a growing percentage of the world is leaning that way. But I'm also not so naive as to think that all 7.2 billion people on this planet think that way.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
My word flow refuses to show the word "throat". Usually it throws out throaty (note the y), thrust or even throw. No matter how careful and precise I am.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Tell me, Tapehead..... Where exactly do you live? I find it kind of hard to believe that you can't wrap your head around the fact that calling a straight person "gay" and calling a man a "woman" are, in fact, insults (albeit minor ones).

I am well aware that certain people subscribe to the notion that homophobia (an extension of misogyny) is the standard attitude all people should have. And that calling people "gay" is a common weapon in the arsenal. But a forward thinking company as Microsoft?

The only way to combat that is to come to the realization that it is NOT an insult, no matter what a person's intentions are.

And I come from Boston. I live in Frankfurt am Main.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
The only way to combat that is to come to the realization that it is NOT an insult, no matter what a person's intentions are.

As long as there are groups that believe these words are considered vulgar in even only one aspect, then there will be a need to censor it. It's being politically correct in the world we live in now. I don't consider it as homophobia or banning words on Microsoft's end; just as you see it is not being offensive, there's probably someone else that takes it as such. I think they are just trying to play it safe--politically correct comes back to mind.

Simply put, these words won't appear as a first choice with Word Flow because they are considered offensive in some aspect. Same as a few other words that although aren't considered vulgar (unlike f*ck, sh*t, etc.) can still harbor some offense to others.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
As long as there are groups that believe these words are considered vulgar in even only one aspect, then there will be a need to censor it. It's being politically correct in the world we live in now. I don't consider it as homophobia or banning words on Microsoft's end; just as you see it is not being offensive, there's probably someone else that takes it as such. I think they are just trying to play it safe--politically correct comes back to mind.

Simply put, these words won't appear as a first choice with Word Flow because they are considered offensive in some aspect. Same as a few other words that although aren't considered vulgar (unlike f*ck, sh*t, etc.) can still harbor some offense to others.

I find it more offensive to sweep it under the rug as if we don't exist. I thought Microsoft better than that. My friend's phone, a Galaxy S3, has the word lesbian and doesn't put it at the end of a damn list. The word is not offensive. Under no circumstances is the word "lesbian" offensive. It's not a slur. It's a description of an aspect of certain people's lives. From my point of view, it's a big deal. Especially from a company that has previously been forwarded thinking about gay rights. I guess it's just another drop in the pot, though.

Mr Matei said:
Can people stop using the word homophobic? I seriously doubt that anyone has an irrational fear of homosexuals.

Seems to be a fear of being associated with homosexuals for fear of controversy. I'd say that qualifies.

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Gay, gay, gay. Sorry to break it to ya, that word is in the WP word flow/ swipe dictionary "out of the box". Lesbian is not, but lesbianism is. I Don't think it's any overt homophobia, but I do think you are looking for reasons to be offended.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Gay, gay, gay. Sorry to break it to ya, that word is in the WP word flow/ swipe dictionary "out of the box". Lesbian is not, but lesbianism is. I Don't think it's any overt homophobia, but I do think you are looking for reasons to be offended.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Opinion noted. Thank you for your contribution.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99