Microsoft needs to stop misdirecting and get the simple things right.

el Jono

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Waiting in vain seems to be the mantra and should be the mission statement of Microsoft. Having a Lumia 920 for the past 9 months and the inability to do many simple things Microsoft has a lot of questions to be answered after many updates . I am avid fan of the windows platform but I am not a fan of the pace and the areas in which updates and changes are being generated. It's my hope for windows phone 8.1 to have a less annoying phone and one that gets the simplest of tasks done without complication. I just hope to gain ease in setting a customizable ringtone but first we need to be able to download and save files on the phone and please help the operating system be in sync with it's third party developers in making their applications painless as well .However, as a user the frustrations with windows makes bashing the operating system quite easy and I hope Microsoft get the minute details right this time. Eagerly awaiting for windows 8.1!!!!!!!!!

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Rather than wait, why don't you download the developers preview and start enjoying 8.1 right now. Its a huge improvement on 8

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Since the recent update for 8.1 fixed the battery issues plaguing many of the early adopters of the Developer Preview program, they're really is no reason not to join in on the fun. The new features are fantastic, and I'm enjoying about 50% better standby time with location always on and Cortana always allowed to run on the background than I was on 8.0 with location turned off and (obviously) no Cortana. One piece of advice, though: Should you decide to take the leap and upgrade to 8.1DP, don't allow battery saver to run in the background. It uses a LOT of juice...

el Jono

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I do not want take to take the risk of not having whatsapp and other possible applications. I just will wait till everything is mended with the actual update. I do not have a problem waiting, but my problem is waiting and not having what u really want improved on another casualty whatsapp which has been vital in being connected on windows phone 8.

senai

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Since the recent update for 8.1 fixed the battery issues plaguing many of the early adopters of the Developer Preview program, they're really is no reason not to join in on the fun. The new features are fantastic, and I'm enjoying about 50% better standby time with location always on and Cortana always allowed to run on the background than I was on 8.0 with location turned off and (obviously) no Cortana. One piece of advice, though: Should you decide to take the leap and upgrade to 8.1DP, don't allow battery saver to run in the background. It uses a LOT of juice...

What do you mean by "don't allow battery saver to run in the background"??

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I do not want take to take the risk of not having whatsapp and other possible applications. I just will wait till everything is mended with the actual update. I do not have a problem waiting, but my problem is waiting and not having what u really want improved on another casualty whatsapp which has been vital in being connected on windows phone 8.

You have no risk of having No WhatsApp.. Provided it's already installed on your WP!

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
You have no risk of having No WhatsApp.. Provided it's already installed on your WP!

While this may be true, remember that many people are having problems with WhatsApp on WP 8.1; it doesn't work at all for some though it worked on 8.0. In addition, many of us have done hard resets after installing WP 8.1 to improve stability and then the app would have to be reinstalled and it is not currently available.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
If you listen to music from your phone definitely hold off - it's unlistenable in 8.1 DP - clunky bug-ridden UI and a loud 'click' at the start of each track.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
If you listen to music from your phone definitely hold off - it's unlistenable in 8.1 DP - clunky bug-ridden UI and a loud 'click' at the start of each track.

The clicking is not there for everyone- that may be your experience, but you are the minority. Works fine for me.

The Xbox music app is one of hundreds of music apps in the store. There's no reason to think 8.1 is bad for listening to music.

OP, I have very little sympathy for your plight. Yes, I'm sick of the waiting game, but the only grievance you listed (ringtones) is quite easily done on even 8.0.... So I don't know what you're on about.

While I did just say I was sick of the waiting game, in truth WP8.1 solves or at least bandages every major problem (and I mean actual flaws in the system operation, not whatever quirk mildly inconveniences you) 8.0 had. There are still gaps to be filled for sure... But now I feel like I'm waiting for updates instead of essential features. It's a nice feeling.

That said, if you absolutely need WhatsApp, probably shouldn't upgrade just yet. Apps will reinstall upon 8.1 boot (and the update 1), and if they aren't in the store, they will not reinstall. But once WhatsApp is fixed, there's no sense in waiting.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Well the sound bug exists on several handset models with 8.1 DP and didn't exist on them with 8.
And it's present no matter which of the hundreds of music apps is used.
If the public release doesn't fix it, my handset is going back - it's a defect under the warranty.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Well the sound bug exists on several handset models with 8.1 DP and didn't exist on them with 8.
And it's present no matter which of the hundreds of music apps is used.
If the public release doesn't fix it, my handset is going back - it's a defect under the warranty.

Yes, a bug is certainly capable of manifesting on more than one model. However I recall this specific bug being present in the early days of 8.0 so it's certainly not exclusive to 8.1, and you're right it might be a hardware defect.

I was not referring to this bug when I said there were other music apps though; many users dislike the new Xbox music, and I was merely pointing out that upgrading to 8.1 isn't the end of music as we know it, since there is a selection.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Was just saying that it doesn't matter which app is used, there's a bug in 8.1 DP that wasn't present in 8. So it can't be a hardware defect.
I'll be well within my warranty to return it as a defect if it can't play music as would be reasonably expected/advertised i.e. without a click at the beginning of a track.
If this is a thread about getting the simple things right, this needs to be high up there. Forget adding advanced playlist functionality or cloud integration, just get it to play basic audio.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Was just saying that it doesn't matter which app is used, there's a bug in 8.1 DP that wasn't present in 8. So it can't be a hardware defect.
I'll be well within my warranty to return it as a defect if it can't play music as would be reasonably expected/advertised i.e. without a click at the beginning of a track.
If this is a thread about getting the simple things right, this needs to be high up there. Forget adding advanced playlist functionality or cloud integration, just get it to play basic audio.

None of that is necessarily true. It could be a hardware defect that did not manifest itself until you installed 8.1, could be coincidence, could be related.

More likely it's a quirk in your 8.1 install; as I noted earlier, this isn't a bug in 8.1 itself and universal to all users, despite your insistence- it's a problem with your phone. Not 8.1. This problem with your phone started happening when you installed 8.1, but it's important to make the distinction that 8.1 in of itself does not cause clicking (especially since this is a bug known to affect 8.0 devices too, I'll mention once again). If a hard reset doesn't fix it, Nokia is pretty good about honoring their warranty (though the turnaround is exceedingly slow). However, I don't know that the warranty covers the developer preview.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting to think there is something fundamentally wrong with the WP APIs if apps are being pulled for being non-functional/buggy. You can't keep blaming the 3rd party developers.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what plans MS has with 8.1 going forward only that I hope there will be more to it that what we've seen in 8.1. A lot of stock is placed in Cortana and inasmuch as it is unique, much of that functionality WILL BE hijacked by samsung and google and will probably work in some ways better than we've seen on WP. I've already seen some of it in KitKat. So where does that leave us? Of course, it leaves examining things like file picker, facebook integration, HERE maps and all the basic operations with greater scrutiny. Many wondering why we still don't have VPN worth using or why we are still having problems uploading images to social media. I think the OP has a point in that too much of WP is still convoluted and some a downright "messy" implementation.
I still believe that if MS can get the OS sharper and more cohesive, developers will better flock to see its apps run here. MS also needs to focus on its own must have services. No word on that so far.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Don't upgrade if you wanna keep those apps. Upgrading to 8.1 while mean you'll have to hard reset if you want the phone to run properly. Upgrading without hard setting can lead to some serious issues (battery life, SD card duplicates, etc).

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what plans MS has with 8.1 going forward only that I hope there will be more to it that what we've seen in 8.1. A lot of stock is placed in Cortana and inasmuch as it is unique, much of that functionality WILL BE hijacked by samsung and google and will probably work in some ways better than we've seen on WP. I've already seen some of it in KitKat.

Just curious, what have you seen added to KitKat or Google Now that is in Cortana? I know they're similar, but Cortana was unofficially released a few weeks ago. Google Now is 2 years old. And I don't believe that KitKat or Google Now have had any updates since WP8.1 DP has been released.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I just will wait till everything is mended with the actual update.
Sorry, but this is a funny statement. Past history being what it is I can just about guarantee the "official" release wont be without its own set of bugs. Its the nature of the beast and just is the way it is. Then there will be a slow roll out of patches and fixes after the official.
The latest 1 release that was an update to fix stuff on the DP8.1 seem to give lots of folks, me included a new set of issues. So just sayin' , but I wouldn't be holding my breath for a bug free perfect "just because its the official" sort of update. Always going to be issues. So now the question is "why wait then" ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05