Skype integration

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I've always wondered why Skype isn't integrated fully in windows phone OS. I mean because Skype now uses same Microsoft account (that we use to sync with our WP) to log in and we still need to download Skype app from store.I think it should come in with official 8.1 update, but its just my opinion. What do you guys think about this?

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's pretty much the same reason why they have ditched Facebook and Twitter integration with WP 8.1 like we used to have it before: integrated features require an OS update, if something needs to be addressed/changed/improved. Apps on the other hand can be updated independently from the OS, hence provide new features, bug fixes and so on faster and more frequently.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Most likely because of the same legal issues that got them slapped wrists and fines because of the way IE and Windows Media Player used to be so baked into Windows. Now in the EU they have to have an update download that offers users the chance to use browsers other than IE, and in some countries they aren't even allowed to sell full blown Windows - they can only sell an 'N', 'K, or 'NK' edition which doesn't include Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player, respectively.

Bundling Skype into WP8.1 would get them into trouble in the EU for the above reason, unless they offered a list of alternatives, or be forced to offer an alternate version of WP8.1 that doesn't have Skype preinstalled. It's just easier and much less of a headache to have it as a separate download.

Lackooo

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Skype on WP and the application version on Windows 8.1 are s*cks with alot missing stuff compared to the desktop version. You can send messages, and you can do video calls, thats all, no other options, no file sharing, no nothing. S*cks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett