11-01-2014 12:01 PM
160 12345 ...
tools
    "So it is with a heavy heart that I have to announce that after using WP8.1 for about a month now, I have to say that everything that I loved about the OS back in 2011 is gone, and is now replaced a hugely buggy, ugly, laggy and a generally unpleasant OS that represents a badly skinned Android, a far cry from that unbelievably slick OS from not long ago, to prove my point, I would point out everything that everything that I loved about the OS has either been undermined, or has simply been removed all together."

I stop reading when you said this. This comment simply proves something I've read others comment in these forums that Windows Phone 8.1 developers preview is NOT for the faint of heart, its understudies and wanna be ZDnet level troll bloggers who have not a clue about what "developer preview" is all about.

Suggesting that this is becoming android because you didn't quite comprehend to what extent 8.1DP would go is just beyond insulting. If you did not want to experience the excitement, joy and pain a developers has to deal with or assist in what a developer is working towards then my friend, you should stay in the lane designated for you. Windows Phone 8.ZERO. Leave the advanced processes with the risk takers and the better equipped among us and when that bridge is built for you, merge in.
    What does this have to do with this thread? WP8.1 is released already. It's sold on the new phones that came out last week. This has nothing to do with the phrase "developer preview".
    Kram Sacul, A895 and psiu_glen like this.
    05-25-2014 09:55 PM
    Actually I don't mind bring some android feature to wp. As long as our data encrypted like now. The thing that make me fall with wp isn't just the metro UI style, unlike android wp 8 device didn't have performance gap for their device. The price are reasonable and the app much safer than google play. Even wp has less app than it competitor the way the os work lot more efficient than other which make battery last longer. Wp seriously uncommon OS in my school in fact they most using bb/andro/apple phone. My phone may lot diffrent than my friend but when they borrow it they says
    Wow cool phone it must be expensive. In fact it way cheaper than their phone lol
    James8561 likes this.
    05-25-2014 10:07 PM
    People aren't complaining about it evolving. People are complaining that the essence of the feel of the OS is being sacrificed in search of the app-centric model that the other OS's use.

Of course, 8.1 is barely out yet, and I for one find tons of little things in it that are improvements, so there is hope. :) And people do like apps, apparently.
    I must have misread the OP because the author is complaining that WP is "becoming Android" and that the original design language has strayed. This is not a complete reboot as was the shift from Windows Mobile to WP7, this has been a slow, methodical change to make improvements based on user feedback. By definition, Windows Phone has evolved from 7 to 7.5 to 7.8 to 8 and now 8.1. The increase in developer activity as well as overall market share indicates that Microsoft is on the right path.
    metalchick719 likes this.
    05-25-2014 10:24 PM
    I can only hope that the designers stick to the vision they laid out rather than chase the whims of the public. If they stick to their vision it will be fine, if they don't have the willpower to resist all the people clamoring for all the "features" that competing OSes have then it'll slowly but surely turn into those other platforms. There's a reason that design-by-committee is never mentioned in a positive light.
    05-25-2014 10:28 PM
    With all this talk about market shares, evolution of a platform, and needing to understand a developers plight ... It is what it is ... And ultimately the consumer will decide if MS is really an alternative to IOS and Android ... or just another OS like the others, and remain in third place.

Stay tuned.
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-25-2014 11:13 PM
    No it is not, I wish people stop saying that.
    gerzhwin and metalchick719 like this.
    05-25-2014 11:15 PM
    Except for the love of gigantic headers that the OP expresses, I a agree with all of it. WP8.1 has taken everything that made WP unique and thrown out out. I still find it to be great, but it's lost its quirks - for good and for bad. I really wish MS had improved the hubs instead of abandoned then. And with the notification center, I think developers will be even less inclined to spend time on live tiles, a fantastic concept that never lived up to its promise.
    I never realized people complained about the big headers! It never bothered me. What bothered me is the lack of the organization in the settings. The Action Center is nice, but it still needs other settings like cellular. I don't have a lot of data per month, so I need a quicker way to turn it on and off other than pinning the cellular tile to the screen.
    05-25-2014 11:34 PM
    Yes, that "Store" thing is annoying. Also, I'm not sure why there's no consistency between system apps and hubs, including email about the font style, size, etc., when it comes to the header, for example.
    05-25-2014 11:54 PM
    Yes, that "Store" thing is annoying. Also, I'm not sure why there's no consistency between system apps and hubs, including email about the font style, size, etc., when it comes to the header, for example.
    Unless my eyes can't see subtle differences, all the headers look pretty much the same on my phone. The only difference being some are all lowercase and some start with a capital
    05-26-2014 12:00 AM
    I can only hope that the designers stick to the vision they laid out rather than chase the whims of the public. If they stick to their vision it will be fine, if they don't have the willpower to resist all the people clamoring for all the "features" that competing OSes have then it'll slowly but surely turn into those other platforms. There's a reason that design-by-committee is never mentioned in a positive light.
    I don't know if they will. Remember the awesome new download and sharing model that Xbox One was supposed to have, only to be abandoned when some loudmouths complained that they wouldn't be guaranteed to be able to resell all disks? Microsoft listened, unfortunately...
    05-26-2014 12:08 AM
    For example, store, people, messaging, date sense, battery saver, music, all have different headers. Not all of them seem to follow the design language, unless there is a distinction between app types that I'm not aware of.

Unless my eyes can't see subtle differences, all the headers look pretty much the same on my phone. The only difference being some are all lowercase and some start with a capital
    05-26-2014 12:36 AM
    The original OP was about WP becoming Android. And my response is: Is it necessarily bad that we can now do many of the things that Android users have been doing for years? Also, if Microsoft wants to increase its user base, then it needs to be able to lure people away from Android. Worldwide Android is the OS of choice with WP a very distant third place. If Microsoft wants to stay relevant in the mobile market, then it needs to think about not only its current users, but future users, which most likely will be Android users. I doubt Microsoft can poach much from the iOS realm, at least not until they poach enough from Android to start getting iPhone users to really perk up. The one thing I noticed with Microsoft that I don't see with either Android or iOS is that Microsoft seems to listen to its user base. They've provided improvements that were user requested as well as improvements that they felt were needed. Whereas with Android and (especially) iOS, it's, "here you go. The OS we want YOU to use. Oh, you want such and such function? Well don't hold your breath."
    05-26-2014 12:46 AM
    To me, WP is getting the Shape now after the DP. There was a huge gap in the OS and it is being filled in. We started getting all the features, that we requested and probably more. I don't think there is nothing similar b/w WP and Andro. WP is entirely Unique with some gaps which needs tinkering.
    metalchick719 likes this.
    05-26-2014 12:47 AM
    Well, I have started using WP since 8.0 and ya I agree what differentiates WP from rest is its UI, aesthetics, which u mentioned above.

Windows Phone was something daring new, not like Andorid and iOS, picking up something running since Symbian and S series OS days. It was fresh and something new. But new is not always welcomed. (Actually we are also resisting same in some case =) ) People coming from Android and iOS, don't come prepared with learning new, so they tend to find something similar (and if happens some complain they have copied from iOS/Andorid). Well they try new, but many don't like. This is what has brought Windows Phone to this stage.

I guess the beauty and aesthetics , its diminishing in fusion of Windows Phone and Windows 8. I wished they followed some Windows Phone aesthetics in Windows 8 and retained in WP.

Ya new status bar is kind of ugly. But I guess it was to accommodate new action centre. Ya but they could have hide the rest of icons on status bar, which was case in other WP8. But again it may defeat the purpose of showing notification icon, which showed you have got notification. Although some other way out may be there.

Many may argue, Live tiles are there for notification, but at a time it can only one notification, which was inconvenience, for some. Although tapping on icon and seeing all is option, but Android and iOS has made us bit lazy =D

Facebook integration was good and unique, but was confusing for many and lacked many FB features. Many people even don't know they don't need a messenger, it comes inbuilt, although lacking some capabilities of FB messenger. (Fabricating same features in messaging and people app may would have helped). And inhouse app is really a mess.

Music+Videos app was breeze now it is a mess. Its even a mess on WIN8. We are no where getting any Xbox Entertainment advantages being in India.

To sum up, ya now companies are learning to adapt from each other, so soon we may loose the unique tag and will have Windows Phone with Andorid and iOS flavour :P Somes goes for iOS and Android.
    In all MS must continue to provide stable, fluid and lag free Windows experience and maintain the Nokia quality on its devices to keep people hooked.
    MikeSo likes this.
    05-26-2014 12:56 AM
    I for now never share anything via my phone because they ate up the ME tile.
    Dennis you are so right! I miss Facebook integration! Now I h ave to rely on the stupidly slow messenger app! And to see my news feed, I have to use the buggy Facebook app.
    Guess what: I didn't have Facebook installed before, although I use it everyday!
    05-26-2014 01:00 AM
    What does this have to do with this thread? WP8.1 is released already. It's sold on the new phones that came out last week. This has nothing to do with the phrase "developer preview".
    No, it is still publicly available, if u read many places it shows it is still in Beta phases. Idk how are they are bundling it with L630 and L730. As it is still buggy and battery eater. My Lumia 620 never crashed and lagged till 8.1 update. Although there were some times, it was bit sluggish. But now it randomly reboots more, especially while launching FB app. I think it still needs a lot of finishing.
    05-26-2014 01:05 AM
    well, I've been with Windows Phone since the very start, and I have always been a dedicated ambassador of sorts in they eyes of the people around me, so switching to an iPhone is like me surrendering and admitting defeat, and that I have been wrong for all these years :(
    And why wouldn't I be buying apps on the iTunes store? I have hundreds of apps on my iPad, and it's the main source of apps on my macs
    So, in your original post you complain about WP becoming more about apps and then you say you're going to a system that is nothing but apps? It's contradictory. It sounds more like you're just trying to justify going to the iPhone, and that's something you don't need to do. If that's what you want, enjoy yourself. I'm so glad to be free from Apple's ecosystem that I would never consider going back. To each their own.
    snowmutt likes this.
    05-26-2014 01:05 AM
    "Becoming Android"?

Way too harsh.

Attempting to compete with them?

Heck's to the yeah.

I came aboard during the Mango stage. Sammy Focus S- seamless intergration, excellent Hub use, amazing responses. The WP7 we all knew and were sold on was a great launching point. I so respected the functions and Microsoft's attept to walk a very slight tightrope- the control and tight intergration of iOS and allowing some personality of Android. It brought together so much into such a tight, neat package. BUT- it also had some basic flaws. Updates to those functions were few and far between. How do you upgrade those functions when they were so core to the OS without changing it? How do you appeal to an OS buying public so used to having intergration AFTER it reaches your device (the notification center) by pushing for intergration AS it hits (the Hubs). Yes, it was great. But it was also fairly limited in how you could get things to run to your preference.

I forget who wrote the article, but when WP7 was truly in the "other" catagory of sales and WinMo and Bada was still selling about the same amount, there was an opinion piece that made the argument that WP wasn't competing with Android, but with iOS. It was too closed, too controlled, too unique to appeal to Android users. Their only hope was to peal away iOS users who accept and enjoy a controlled OS that sold funtion over form. The argument was boiled down to this: iOS users wouldn't come over because they were too connected to the Apple ecosystem, Android users had nothing appealing to them offered in WP. MS's only hope was to appeal to non-smartphone users, and WP7 just didn't have the market to reach those people before a cheap Android.

So, it is simple: Either adapt to compete with the largest OS, or scrap at the bottom of the OS ladder for whomever falls through the cracks. MS has to compete with Android. iOS users tend to stay iOS users. Android is the biggest marketshare, but also has the largest nember of unhappy users. Offer something useful to this users, and you can get them over time. MS has no real choice. 3%-5% worldwide marketshare is not going to work. You need to be in that 10%-20% marketshare.

The loss of hubs and the addition of a notification center (oops, sorry: "action center". My bad) are vital. Maybe not improvements, but vital. WP needs them. They are making nice inroads in the feature phone users as they move to smartphones thanks to the L52X series, but have made zero dent otherwise.

This is 100% business decision. It is still WP. MS wants their users on MS products. It will never be Android. Ever.

It just won't ever be WP7 again. Which is kinda sad.
    Guytronic, a5cent, MikeSo and 2 others like this.
    05-26-2014 01:24 AM
    I have to say that I totally agree with you. I won't have the right words in English, I also started with a Htc Mozart on WP7, before mango, when WP was "simply different"...

I even feel that 8.1 is a switcher OS, for people that are switching from Android or iOS to Windows Phone : look at some new transition effects, notably the one where the new window is coming from the bottom to the top of the screen.
    I hear you somewhat. The problem is that its the consumers and not Microsoft that is driving the "changes". Microsoft is trying to appeal to consumers and get more customers. To do so requires them to bring in "foreign" elements. We can't have it both ways. We can't complain that WP isn't growing for xxx reasons, then complain that WP is compromising it's integrity due to it's trying to grow. Just my two cents.
    Vishnu Hs and MikeSo like this.
    05-26-2014 02:01 AM
    If becoming like Android means achieving the same level of functionality Android has reached without the shortcoming of having to rely on a Google platform then the change is very welcome. After all, many users (including me) don't know what to do with an OS that while being good to look at, lean and smooth lacks most of the basic functions and app that make it practical to actually use for work, rather than spending hours mesmerized by those moving tiles, them too, limited in functionality. WP sold me on day one. However after trying 7, 7.8 etc. i never found it a good OS to use, lacking too much while looking damn good and being fast and smooth. I thought with 8 things were changing...i got my 1520 and..while people are sad if it becomes like Android, i am here hoping they LEARN from Android without copying it. Microsoft is simply lost on its mobile OS.
    05-26-2014 02:16 AM
    I would rather they made the native apps so awesome no one would ever even think of going to the app store to find Spotify or a podcast app or Netflix. Think of it like Office, an app so good everyone is in its shadow. If every WP native app was like Office then XD
    Also, I rather like the new design over the old humongous header style. They look so ugly to,me now
    05-26-2014 02:34 AM
    I don't really agree that WP is slowly becoming Android but I do agree that some of the stuff that I loved about the OS is being replaced with inferior crap. The photo, music, video, and games hubs instantly come to mind. There's also the system tray that no longer auto-hides and games that are no longer hidden in the games hub. The cobalt accent color was changed to a purple even though we already have a purple. The removal of the cool and useful pinch out carousel in the gallery. The removal of the touch and hold cursor. The list of downgrades is depressing me.

On the positive side I really like the 3 column layout (on phones with big screens), the action center quick toggles, Cortana, the added functionality of the app store, and the 2 individual volume sliders. It's just a real shame they had to mess with so much stuff that worked well.
    05-26-2014 02:52 AM
    Whereas with Android and (especially) iOS, it's, "here you go. The OS we want YOU to use. Oh, you want such and such function? Well don't hold your breath."
    Actually since Android has the most functions than any OS, I have to disagree with this statement. Android you can do whatever the hell you want with it.

You perfectly described iOS though.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    05-26-2014 04:25 AM
    Windows Phone is becoming exactly what I thought it would be: a mix of iOS and Android. Simplicity of iOS with the features of Android is where I think they are trying to do it, but I don't think WP is becoming Android.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    fatclue_98, ronty and broar94 like this.
    05-26-2014 04:29 AM
    Looks like Cyan fixes the lag/bugginess problems according to someone who has one. That's pretty cool imo. Also, for those lusting after WP7. It put many people off (including me) I'm afraid you're in the minority
    05-26-2014 04:30 AM
160 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD