Is Windows Phone becoming android?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
What does this have to do with this thread? WP8.1 is released already. It's sold on the new phones that came out last week. This has nothing to do with the phrase "developer preview".
Wait a second. You're not saying this developers preview is what MS is releasing to new phones are you?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes it is. Only that new phones are optimized using firmware, otherwise the update would be app by now

But this version clearly isn't ready for prime time. MS did this once with MS Vista releasing an OS that we knew had major unresolved issues during testing. 8.1 is in the same boat. I hope MS didn't put all its eggs in the Cortana basket because that in itself isn't quite enough.

AMRooke

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I was an early adopter, starting with WP7 on a Samsung Focus in 2010, then moving to a WP8 on a Lumia 920 when it was first released in 2012, and now with the Developer Preview of 8.1. I have appreciated some of the changes to WP over the years, and others have been steps backwards, as are mentioned many times across this thread. That said, the struggle for continued existence of the OS has been difficult, and it is apparent that MS is making many of the changes in hopes of getting users of other platforms to switch over, and Android has the overwhelming market share, making that the target audience.

Hopefully, once the WP platform has cemented a viable share of the marketplace, MS can focus once again on the landmark features that drew the core users to WP in the first place. But if WP doesn't survive, then no amount of love for the old ways will matter . . .

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
But this version clearly isn't ready for prime time. MS did this once with MS Vista releasing an OS that we knew had major unresolved issues during testing. 8.1 is in the same boat. I hope MS didn't put all its eggs in the Cortana basket because that in itself isn't quite enough.

So go through the issues, and give your suggestions on resolution. And maybe your ideas on what would make this OS stand out. Because now, all you're doing is regurgitating something you've read elsewhere.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Hope you understand, Yours sincerely, Dennis

To be honest, I'm surprised how much I understand. You raise a lot of good points, and I have to agree, in this context much of Windows Phone has gotten worse.

However, I do understand many of Microsoft's decisions, and I support many of them. Also, the lack of a notification center was terrible, most of all with Windows Phone 7. It got better with Windows Phone 8 and the customizable notifications on the lock screen, but it was still too limited. I agree however that they didn't have to copy the Android notification center. Now it's the less customizable version of the Galaxy S4 notification center.

I also disagree on the "bugginess" of the OS. Since the second update Windows Phone 8.1 works like a charm on my 8X, it's fast and the battery is better than with Windows Phone 8. It's however true that I never noticed the calendar having to load for a while before, just as an example.

Overall I think in the specific way I'm using my phone - I'm not on Facebook, Twitter or any other of these "social" services - 8.1 is a huge improvement. Regardless of whether it resembles Android more now.

manwe

May 6, 2013
Visit site
i agree with a lot that as been said in this thread about MS losing focus, this is especially visible in the notification centre. my only hope is that this notification solution is just a patch to tide us over, because it's absolutely opposed to the entire philosophy of the OS. it's a huge problem that one of the most used features is completely incongruent with the tile based design philosophy that is metro. why not swipe to the left, or literally anything else?

the main reason i'm with wp still is the nokia imaging prowess. but we'll see what the iphone 6 brings and if they can tidy up their design in ios8. when it comes down to it ios has the apps, android the customisation and wp had it's beautiful quirkiness. but if wp continues to compromise we'll be left with a cookie cutter os with second rate app support and customisation which would be a shame.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
You're answering your own questions in the midst of your empty rhetoric. You'll be waiting on what the iPhone 6 has in terms of imaging, which I'm sure Apple and Android realize WP/Nokia dominate, so if they bring optimum stabilization and purview motion will their users scream they're trying to be like WP? When the 5C was released did users complain that they were trying to copy Nokias color scheme or merely trying to enhance a necessary feature? The notification center doesn't take anything away from the core of what WP is. Its a good thing you're not the CEO for MS, because they'd be following in the destitute footsteps of Blackberry.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
i recognize your sentiment and noble intentions of some of the more simplistic and effective features of older WP releases, but to substantiate your point by saying the OS is now buggy, laggy and unpleasant to mention a few of your comments is a tad too far imho, sure i dont try and take away from the fact that, that may be what you experience, but as a sweeping statement its not a fact for the majority of users, and sounds like your device/setup has issues not the entire WP8.1 OS

i am not sure what device you are using, but 8.1 on my L920 is rock solid, stability wise, butter smooth and very pleasant to interact with, good for me i hear you cry :)

each their own opinion and all that, but seems like MS are between a rock and hard place, criticized for remaining underdeveloped and stagnant amongst other evolving interfaces and then when they step up and provide much requested features, you, and others slam it and or its execution, the public gets what the public wants, eventually - i for one dislike the trend of thin phones, which most long for, i love tanks with some weight and bulk to them, but i dont character assassinate all the other thin phones out there cause it doesnt suit me personally.

Michael Kozak

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
News flash ~ Apple just recently bought Beats Audio (for a paltry $3.2 Billion) ... and ... Recently acquired Nokias top camera guy.

Think that says anything about how corporations should run?
Build on what you got! Don't play follow the leader.

Mercule

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Not seeing it. If WP ever starts to really feel like Android, I'm outta here. I couldn't wait to get off Android, but that's a rant I've posted elsewhere.

Is WP changing/evolving? Yup. Is it good or bad? A bit of both. I, too, miss the hubs. By the time I'd really figured out what I could do with People, the ball had moved, which sucks. Xbox Music has been underwhelming the entire time I've had a WP, so I can't say that I've seen any degradation, there (of course, I wouldn't notice if they deleted it or made it so it only played 1980s show-tunes, in reverse -- it's just worthless). I totally disagree with you about the 8.1 layout, though; I hated the old, "narrow" layout and like having a tiled background, despite initial concerns.

Oh, and I've come to loathe the tiled design inside apps, at least the way most are doing it. OneDrive is a prime example: I never, ever, ever want to see folder contents tiled (except photos, but I don't take many pictures) -- please just give me a list. The aesthetic of a square logo at the left of the text description is great, though.

What do I want from WP? The happy middle-ground.

Android is way, way too open. You're promised the world, but nothing integrates quite right, so it ends up being a hot mess of unrealized potential. There are some great apps, but the OS doesn't really come together in a way that really works for me.

Apple is incredibly slick. It really does "just work". At least it does until you try to go off the reservation. Every news app has to implement their own "share" features, so I can either choose my news app first, then my clipping tool; or I stick with Pocket and only use the apps that have a "share to Pocket" button. (Yeah, that's overly simplistic, but makes the point.) It's Apple's walled garden, which is great when I need to recommend a device to my mom or grandmother, but causes me enough issues with my existing services to be frustrating.

The promise of WP (and Win 8) was that it wouldn't be as flaky/fragmented as Android, but not as closed as Apple. Win 8 has the "Share charm", which works well enough, but just needs some providers. It looks like WP is moving in that direction, too. There are a number of good cloud apps for WP. And then there are (or should I say "were") the hubs. I think what we're seeing, right now, are growing pains around the hubs and associated APIs. If that's the case, that it'll hurt for a little while (not more than a few months, if they're serious about not being the next WebOS), but it'll better realize that middle-ground potential.

All that said, though, WP is in a tight spot, right now. They have a core fan base (that's us), but that base isn't enough on its own to a) keep WP as a core product, internally (conjecture); b) demand apps from providers like Android and Apple do; or c) draw the same level of quality for the apps that do make it. If MS changes WP, they risk alienating the existing base. If they don't, they pretty much guarantee the platform will languish in the realm of corporate hobby, which will ultimately mean even the existing base will erode as other platforms adopt/adapt distinguishing features from WP.

Honestly, it's issue C, above, that concerns me the most. Microsoft clearly sees the mobile space as a do-or-die endeavor, so there's no immediate risk, there. All things being equal, MS has the deep pockets to maintain WP until it hits a point of "critical mass" adoption that gets developers' attention. If, however, there is some problem inherent in the underlying platform that is undermining the quality of apps (my peeves are Pandora and Kindle, right now), then there is zero chance that the platform can survive because it'll be impossible to create apps with the same polish as, say, Apple. Not having built any WP (or WinRT) apps, I'm not about to say there are issues with the underlying platform. I suspect the developers are just phoning it in or (in the case of Kindle) subtly pushing people toward other platforms without actually alienating their own base. Regardless, I want more apps on WP that are at least as good as the iOS equivalent.

That was way more than I intended to write, but I got to thinking out loud.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
News flash ~ Apple just recently bought Beats Audio (for a paltry $3.2 Billion) ... and ... Recently acquired Nokias top camera guy.

Think that says anything about how corporations should run?
Build on what you got! Don't play follow the leader.
You pretty much contradicted yourself. Apple brought in Nokias purview guy for the very reason that they know Nokia leads the mobile realm when it comes to cameras on phones. Looks like following the leader to me. Apple launched their iTunes radio and it didn't gain any traction. So, they decided to bring in a music leader in Beats to enhance their streaming experience and re-energize iTunes. Android and WP already have these features so again seems like following the leader to me.

Michael Kozak

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
My point was .... Apple didn't REALLY change their product, by adding Beats + camera guy. They are simply improving their product. Not making wholesale changes to their core product .... But rather fine tuning things that work. And work well. If I need to be more specific. 😎

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
My point was .... Apple didn't REALLY change things by adding Beats + camera guy. They are simply improving their product. Not making wholesale changes to their base. Fine tuning things if I need to be more specific. ��
Good point. Did they actually go through with the purchase of Beats? Lets see, Beats, camera guy from Nokia and Apple has a knack with utilizing good talent and the prospect of a larger phone for those eyes that might need a larger screen in their base. Yeah, its about the fine tune.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I get what you're saying, but cant you apply that same logic to what WP did? Think about this, Apple is keeping things real secretive before the Mobile Conference. They used WPs flat display for their icons instead of their traditional layout to give it more pop, but I think both Apple and Android will try to adopt some sort of live tile presentation for their ecosystems. Apple knows the presentation of their ecosystem is becoming stale so expect some pretty radical changes to inject newness back. WP for the most part has brought in a lot of great improvements without compromising the nucleus of what WP is. I can still set my phone down and watch the Android and iphone users flock over inquiring what it is. That's the microcosm of what WP wants.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Something that grind my gears is to keep reading people complain about WP 8.1. beta software - software that has not yet been released but has received an alpha test and still has more bugs than a regular release; "beta software is usually available only to particular users who will test it" <a href="http://www.thefreedictionary.com/beta+software">beta software</a> . Here you have it, in case you did not know what "beta software" means.

MS explicitly stated that this 'beta release' would have some bugs and it may lags once in a while that if you were to download this MS were not responsible of any of this bugs for the time being and that this preview was optional "no mandatory" for users. So, can we stop complaining about WP 8.1? Seriously; its getting annoying.
As for WP becoming Android? Well I don't think so. Does MS have to step up its game and get the best from iOS and Android? Yes, if it want to stay relevant in this harsh and hard mobile industry. Does iOS and Android use some technology from WP aka MS? Yes they do. Does that mean they are becoming WP? Nope. There is no doubt that WP is the , faster, clean and unique OS in the market, period.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I get what you're saying, but cant you apply that same logic to what WP did? Think about this, Apple is keeping things real secretive before the Mobile Conference. They used WPs flat display for their icons instead of their traditional layout to give it more pop, but I think both Apple and Android will try to adopt some sort of live tile presentation for their ecosystems. Apple knows the presentation of their ecosystem is becoming stale so expect some pretty radical changes to inject newness back. WP for the most part has brought in a lot of great improvements without compromising the nucleus of what WP is. I can still set my phone down and watch the Android and iphone users flock over inquiring what it is. That's the microcosm of what WP wants.

Love tiles for Android? We currently have widgets which are more Functional than Live Tiles.

For example I have a calendar/tasks widget which I just hit a little symbol to directly make a Google Tasks list all without entering any app. The widget also displays a scrollable list of upcoming events. Live Tiles can't do that.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I look at it as transitioning to a new WP experience, not adopting Android. Remember MS made this move with Windows 8. The move proved too radical for some but it still showcased its uniqueness. This is the direction WP is going. Building off the foundation. Tweaking things and fine tuning things. They've already informed us that there would be multiple updates, which I think was intentional to provide the new Update while still shaping it.

Michael Kozak

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I believe at present "jazmac" the FCC is looking into the acquisition by Apple. Don't get me started on government regs now - LOL 😁.

But yeah ... It should go through. 😎

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo